Bucky and FEMA

  • Kirby Urner
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2006
      Some lower ranking design scientists think the game is to bait and
      switch lifestyles, i.e. wait for disaster to strike, then have people
      *of necessity* convert to a more energy-conservative lifestyle,
      complete with high tech electronics. I call this the "abducted by
      aliens scenario" and don't consider it realistic or desirable.

      This is why FEMA needs to keep focusing on *temporary* shelter
      solutions, and not get into the long term housing business, which is
      what the FEMA trailers have de facto become (people have lived in
      these FEMA villages for years, with living standards predictably
      degrading, because emergency planners aren't designing for the long
      haul (what, no horses?) not should they have to (not in their job
      description)).

      Also, emergency shelters may be unusually large, accommodating
      refugees and relief victims, and therefore quite energy efficient
      (as Bucky was ever pointing out, the economy of scale is very real,
      when it comes to the 1,2,3 powering relationship betwixt edge, area,
      and volume).

      People won't resent a federal government that *temporarily* abducts
      them into this otherworldy geodesic tent, looking like something from
      Montreal, circa 1967 -- Canada is *so* far ahead it's not funny. But
      they want their old home to go back to, or one like it. They haven't
      made the decision to upgrade to a dwelling machine and FEMA is not
      here to make them make that decision. This is a land of options, of
      optional opportunities, not one of coerced "given up everything you've
      ever known" revolution. Our top management is usually too smart for
      that stupid pitfall (even if one or another manager falls into it on
      occasion).

      Maybe not too many took me seriously when I advocated cruise ship
      flotillas go in for those Kosovar Albanians. Just get the civilians
      *out of the way* if the militias choose to go at it, tooth and fang.
      However, more recently, I see I was simply ahead of the curve (not the
      first time, thanks to my design science training) and we had such a
      ship line conveyor belt moving civilians off shore from Beirut and
      Tyre and places.

      The second part of my plan was even more radical: occupy floorspace
      in the Northeast USA, maybe giving cube farm employees extended
      vacations, while we accommodated our foreign guests (given then USA
      president Clinton was ordering bombers into the fray, it seemed the
      least we could do for these victims of overwhelming regional
      violence).

      But there too, I think FEMA is getting up to speed, some years later.

      Instead of paying extended hotel bills to private hoteliers, sometimes
      slum lords if truth be told (sometimes saints), we could save the
      taxpayers big bucks by just keep a lot of dual purpose floorspace in
      the public sector (maybe as cube farms when not otherwise occupied),
      we'll be able to accommodate disaster victims, post their brief stay
      in an emergency relief dome. If their house is gone or destroyed, a
      longer term solution will be necessary, but in more conventional
      apartment-like surroundings.

      As with the trucks (now outfitting with GPS), I think the key is
      fine-grained tracking. I'm not talking about RFID implants (except
      maybe in pets) so much as taking interview recordings and putting
      them in a Google Video type database, keyed to lexical stuff about
      name, date of birth and so on. The only way to get disaster victims
      back on their feet, back in the game, is to know who they are and
      what their special needs might be.

      This last step sounds too scary to most people, given high distrust of
      government and paranoia about X-Files type conspiracies. People are
      not all that forthcoming about their true needs in these interviews,
      which tend to be perfunctary and oft times even hostile (a government
      "pat down" is more what it feels like -- cops used to dealing with
      criminals, transplanted to serving disaster relief victims (not
      necessarily a good idea -- much better to use health workers, former
      peace corps, NGO types who aren't used to arresting people, let alone
      shooting them (serial killers need not apply))).

      Nevertheless, I think we'd quickly move in that directions if people
      could *see* how it all worked on their televisions, i.e. there were
      Public System transparency as in "oh, if I register in this database
      and go to a public housing facility in North Dakota, already seen on
      TV and obviously not that terrible, then I'm likely to be back in a
      job, in a lifestyle, even back in my home city, within months if not
      weeks."

      Now apply that model more internationally, and you'll see where I'm
      going with this. We could learn a lot from the time share industry on
      this one, starting with that Mecca of Timeshares, Orlando FL. I'm
      sure many UN types have thought in similar terms, and a good deal more
      formally (with letterhead and everything).

      Give us a few goliath data centers, maybe under the Rockies in
      Colorado, to help keep track of all the FEMA and FEMA-like facilities,
      and we'll probably be able to assist the UN with some dynamite tech
      support down the road a few clicks. Come to think of it, we've maybe
      got those already (but are they coded in M?).

      Kirby
    • Kirby Urner
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2006
        --- In synergeo@yahoogroups.com, "Kirby Urner" <kirby.urner@...> wrote:

        > Also, emergency shelters may be unusually large, accommodating
        > refugees and relief victims, and therefore quite energy efficient
        > (as Bucky was ever pointing out, the economy of scale is very real,
        > when it comes to the 1,2,3 powering relationship betwixt edge, area,
        > and volume).

        Another perhaps relevant idea (kinda twilight zone, but so was Katrina):

        795.03 As the world's high-performance metallic technologies are
        freed from concentration on armaments, their structural and mechanical
        and chemical performances (together with the electrodynamic remote
        control of systems in general) will permit dimensional exquisiteness
        of mass-production-forming tolerances to be reduced to an accuracy of
        one-hundredth-thousandths of an inch. This fine tolerance will permit
        the use of hydraulically pressure-filled glands of high-tensile
        metallic tubing using liquids that are nonfreezable at space-program
        temperature ranges, to act when pressurized as the discontinuously
        isolated compressional struts of large geodesic tensegrity spheres.
        Since the fitting tolerances will be less than the size of the liquid
        molecules, there will be no leakage. This will obviate the
        collapsibility of the air-lock-and-pressure-maintained pneumatic domes
        that require continuous pump-pressurizing to avoid being drag-rotated
        to flatten like a candle flame in a hurricane. Hydro-compressed
        tensegrities are less vulnerable as liquids are noncompressible.

        Kirby
      • tim stockton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2006
             in       Catrina disaster thouasands of moror homes were sold reported by
          news papers-
            dome wight one ton...... ho much is the  cost of one ton of steel
          is it not like 100 dollars

            the study of converstion from millitary to livingary is not very clear-
            based on economics- Fuller meant it in general
            which happining quite a lot-
            but  there is no clear planning to move into livingary besides
            making profit for now at least-

             economics is the dark science that muddles evrything-
            it has extensive roots that spread into evrything-
          you need to form infrastructure for housing, call it the 20 year plan
           of housing 1 billion-
          at each edge of chanti town you need to house number of artitects
          a net work that fills all the need information
          supply chaings....
            feedback, images, etc
          --------
          what you think of the plant sprayer for use in taking a shower-