Skip to search.

Re: Imagining Other Dimensions

  • Kirby Urner
    Message 1 of 197 , Aug 29, 2006
      --- In synergeo@yahoogroups.com, "John Brawley" <jb@...> wrote:

      > Did I _need_ to put that curved line into a background space?
      > Did I mention a background space? No and no, I didn't need a
      > camera, and wasn't concerned with one, albeit the "default"
      > situation was camera-equipped.

      Remember: camera originally meant a kind of room, with a hole in it
      for eye light.

      Aside: this could be about Katrina and its aftermath (Rita etc.):

      """
      Therefore, society tends to think statically and is always being
      surprised, often uncomfortably, sometimes fatally by the
      omni-inexorable motion of Universe. Lacking dynamic apprehension, it
      is difficult for humanity to get out of its static fixations and to
      see great trends evolving. Just now, man is coming into technical
      discovery of general systems theory. The experimental probing of the
      potentials of the computers awakened man to a realization of the vast
      complexes of variables that can be mastered by general systems theory.
      So far, man has dealt but meagerly and noncomprehensively with his
      powerful planning capability. So far, he has employed only limited
      systems theory in special open-edged systems__"tic-tac-toe"
      rectilinear grid systems and planar matrixes. The arbitrary open
      parameters of infinite systems can never be guaranteed to be adequate
      statements of all possible variables. Infinite systems engender an
      infinite number of variable factors. Unless one starts with Universe,
      one always inadvertently starts with open infinite systems. Only by
      starting with finite Universe and progressively dismissing finite
      irrelevancies can one initiate finite, locally limited, general
      systems theory to assured satisfaction in problem solving.
      """

      Plus this one for Rybo (note "concrete" again):

      626.01 The world military forces use reinforced concrete tetrahedra
      for military tank impediments. This is because tetrahedra lock into
      available space by friction and not by fitting. They are used as the
      least disturbable barrier components in damming rivers temporarily
      shunted while constructing monolithic hydroelectric dams.

      -- a used similar imagery re Pacific atolls, to talk about the
      difference between 4D (four-dimensional unified field) and 4D++
      (energy added).

      Rybo went "Huh?" because he doesn't like remembering stuff from one
      paragraph to the next, unless it's his Rybonics (his "system").

      > Fortunately "Brawlonics" or some such egocentric "_I_ made this!"
      > personal-property label never occured to me.

      Worked out OK in the case of Linux I think.

      Rybonics is one step removed in that he named it after a fake name
      (Rybo). He's limiting his liability that way -- could walk away from
      it more easily, and start a new gig, get away from the paparazzi.

      > Absolutely harmonious with that. Of course.
      > Here're my categories:
      > 1) I talk Tverse, someone attacks, I defend.

      Like Dick and Rybno attack Synergetics, trying to hold back the
      gestation rate to suit their agendas.

      > I'm perfectly willing to _play_ in your arena, I just don't prefer
      > the food at the concession stands there. (*smile*)

      That's fair.

      > understand that sort of high-level jetsetting intellectualism. (I
      > did some jetsetting and high-level work, but as a theatrical
      > technician, not an ambassador for an idea.)

      You have a good acting voice. Maybe if you do some Synergetics clips,
      you could do overvoice some times. That'd be a way to help out. For
      pay of course (I'm sick of always putting it on "volunteers" to do the
      important stuff, while the paid people just goof off and kick back).

      > I don't exactly envy your experiences, but I do admit I'd like to
      > know a similar level of professional respectability.

      An actor with a philosophy... shouldn't be a problem.

      Anyway, I need to get to a *real* gym. Too much sitting on my tush,
      letting my svelt figure go blobby <snicker>. Have iPod will treadmill.

      More later then,

      Kirby
    • Dick Fischbeck
      Message 197 of 197 , Apr 3, 2009
        From: Bob Sanderson

        Relative to the global grid discussion, there's an article in the
        3/23 2009 Newsweek, "We can't get there from here" by Sharon
        Begley. Its pretty much doom and gloom.

        The article contains this sentence: " ..Another need is for
        transmission lines that don't leak 80% of what they carry, says
        Physicist David Pines of the University of California, Davis".

        Anybody know where he got the 80%?

        Message: 2
        Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:02:06 +0300
        From: "Wolberger, Lionel"

        The national average electrical transmission efficiency is 91.5 percent and is not expected to change significantly over the next several years. [1]

        In 1993 the average electrical transmission efficiency in California was 95.5% [2]

        Electric high-voltage transmission is a comparatively very expensive way of distributing energy resources; the next expensive, natural gas by pipeline, is 1/7th as costly; and land-use makes new right-of-ways for electric lines very hard-to-get... DC is cheaper, as DC transmission requires only two wires (so 2/3 less wire than AC). DC transmission (since cheaper) is used over many important links such as undersea Denmark-Sweden and remote hydrogeneration plants to urban centers Itaipu to Sao Paulo.[3]

        [1] Federal Register Volume 59, Number 24 (Friday, February 4, 1994), DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, 10 CFR Part 474, [Docket No. EE-RM-94-101], "Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Research, Development, and Demonstration Program; Equivalent Petroleum-Based Fuel Economy Calculation"
        [2] Industrial Ecology Analysis-Final Report by W. E. Kastenberg, Lawrence Livermore Lab, October 19, 1998
        [3] V. Smil, Energies, MIT press, 1999, p.154