Syndication Formats

  • mayte@journalist.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 16, 2000
      I'm interested in what are the most extended or acceptable formats in
      which informative content providers offer their content to
      syndicators or aggregators.

      Also I would like to know something about syndication of e-commerce
      solutions or applications.

      Thanks.
    • Ian Graham
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 16, 2000
        On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 mayte@... wrote:

        > I'm interested in what are the most extended or acceptable formats in
        > which informative content providers offer their content to
        > syndicators or aggregators.

        There are several formats, including NITF (for news articles), XMLNews
        (also for news articles and news-related metadata), RSS (for
        resource/site/news summaries), OCS (a directory format designed to help
        categorize RSS-style headlines/news summaries [sort of]), and ICE (for
        more sophisitcated content and data syndication). I have a list of
        references to information about these different systems at the top of:

        http://www.java.utoronto.ca/news/references.html

        There is software around that can handle/process all these variants,
        some commercial, many open-source.

        > Also I would like to know something about syndication of e-commerce
        > solutions or applications.

        Can't help you there -- I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

        Ian
        --
        Ian Graham .......................... http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/
      • Alis Marsden
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 24, 2001
          Hi All,

          My name is Alis Marsden and I work for Purple Pages, which is an Irish
          company.

          Content Syndication is an interest of mine and I started a directory of
          content syndication resources (http://www.purplepages.ie/site/content) a
          little over six months ago. I am hoping some of you may be able to help me
          with an article I am writing for a newsletter.

          I am interested in comparing syndication formats, primarily RSS and ICE, and
          as I am not an expert on either I am really hoping that I can pick up some
          comments from people who are familiar with one or both. I'd be very
          grateful if any of you could send any comment you may have to this list or
          to me personally. If anyone would prefer to speak over the telephone, just
          mail me your number and I can give you a call.

          Thank you very much,

          Alis

          Purple Pages
          http://www.purplepages.ie