Probably a FAQ: Multiple RSS feeds in one format?

  • Simon Brooke
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 23, 2000
      Hi

      I'm increasingly building sites which require multiple RSS feeds in a
      single page. Often the RSS feeds will all come off a database I control,
      but sometimes they won't. I want to continue to use XSL-T to transform
      the RSS into end-user presentation, and my present solution is to use
      frames (e.g. <URL:http://www.amorgan.org.uk/> - both frames are XSL-T
      wrapped around RSS and generated on the fly). But this solution is messy
      - I would rather be generating a single page. So what I need is an XML
      format into which multiple RSS feeds can be encapsulated. Of course I
      could just invent one, but I'm sure lots of other people have
      encountered this problem. Is there an emergent standard?

      Cheers

      Simon

      --
      Simon Brooke, Technical Director, Weft Technology Ltd --
      http://www.weft.co.uk/

      the weft is not just what binds the web: it is what makes it a web
    • Bill Humphries
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 23, 2000
        At 2:52 PM +0100 8/23/00, Simon Brooke wrote:
        >I want to continue to use XSL-T to transform
        >the RSS into end-user presentation, and my present solution is to use
        >frames (e.g. <URL:http://www.amorgan.org.uk/> - both frames are XSL-T
        >wrapped around RSS and generated on the fly). But this solution is messy
        >- I would rather be generating a single page. So what I need is an XML
        >format into which multiple RSS feeds can be encapsulated.

        This is less a RSS/Syndication question than a XSL question. There are several ways to proceed:

        1) Use server side programming to transform several 'chunks' on one page.
        2) Use XSLT's document() function to bring in the individual RSS feeds as node sets into your XSLT transform.
        3) Use JavaScript to import the transformed chunks.

        http://www.2roam.com/ uses method 1. We create a MSXML object with headlines. Load a transform into another MSXML object and transform the former with the later and write the result into the response.

        http://honeybomb.dhs.org/gg.php is another example. The 'journal' entries are one XML document created using Blogger. The sidebar headlines are RSS feeds. All are transformed using http://p4lib.hk-go.to/ the PHP Sablotron extensions.

        -- Bill Humphries <bill@...>
        http://www.whump.com/moreLikeThis/
      • Simon Brooke
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 23, 2000
          Bill Humphries wrote:

          > At 2:52 PM +0100 8/23/00, Simon Brooke wrote:
          > >I want to continue to use XSL-T to transform
          > >the RSS into end-user presentation, and my present solution is to use
          > >frames (e.g. <URL:http://www.amorgan.org.uk/> - both frames are XSL-T
          > >wrapped around RSS and generated on the fly). But this solution is messy
          > >- I would rather be generating a single page. So what I need is an XML
          > >format into which multiple RSS feeds can be encapsulated.
          >
          > This is less a RSS/Syndication question than a XSL question. There are several ways to proceed:
          >
          > 2) Use XSLT's document() function to bring in the individual RSS feeds as node sets into your XSLT transform.

          Thanks for this! That's *exactly* what I need.