Google News RSS

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
      Well I finally got the Cease and Desist email from Google for scraping
      Google news and then posting the results on a web site. So I guess I'll
      have to take those feeds down and convert them to use Yahoo! News
      search.

      I figure that using Gnews2rss[1] to feed into a personal aggregator is
      not going to worry them too much. The problem seems to be posting the
      results to a public website. If you do use gnews2rss, please host it
      yourself.

      I shouldn't really complain as I'm fairly clearly breaking their terms.
      However, I'm getting increasingly fed up that they don't have an XML
      (RSS or Atom) output from their search results. It's also become pretty
      disappointing that their SOAP API still only covers the main search
      engine and hasn't been extended to support the other parts of Google.

      So can I recommend an email writing campaign to ask for RSS/Atom from
      the Search functions. news-feedback@... The odd high profile blog
      might not go amiss either.

      rgds
      JB

      Here's the form email:-
      --------------------------
      Dear Webmaster,

      We recently became aware that your site offers a Google News feed to the
      public.

      We appreciate your interest in Google News, but we do not currently
      permit the creation of a news feed from the results on Google News, nor
      do we permit webmasters to display Google News headlines on their sites.
      We provide a means for monitoring Google News searches through Google
      News Alerts at: http://www.google.com/newsalerts and encourage you to
      use this service instead.

      For more information about acceptable uses of Google News, please see
      our Terms of Use at
      http://news.google.com/intl/en_us/terms_google_news.html .

      If you'd like to incorporate Google News search results into your site,
      we ask that you do so by creating a link to the Google News main page or
      Google News search results. Please feel free to use any of our Google
      logos found at http://www.google.com/stickers.html .

      As always, your feedback and comments are very important to us. Please
      let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

      Regards,
      The Google Team
      --------------------------

      [1] http://www.voidstar.com/gnews2rss.php
      Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
      Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
      M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
    • Dror Matalon
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
        Julian,

        While I understand the frustration you need to keep an important point
        in mind.
        How is google going to make money if they provide the search results in
        RSS? Remember the publishers are happy to provide RSS feeds, so that you
        come to their web page and read the articles and expose you to ads.
        Google's search results are the information they "publish." if they give
        them away for free, they lost their only revenue model. Ain't going to
        happen.

        I'm not sure why the care about news.google.com seeing that they don't
        advertise there, but it could be either a matter of principal or they
        want to advertise at some point and don't want to have to chase everyone
        then.

        Regards,

        Dror

        Zapatec Inc
        1700 MLK Way
        Berkeley, CA 94709
        http://www.fastbuzz.com
        http://www.zapatec.com
      • Aquarion
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
          Julian Bond wrote:

          >Well I finally got the Cease and Desist email from Google for scraping
          >Google news and then posting the results on a web site. So I guess I'll
          >have to take those feeds down and convert them to use Yahoo! News
          >search.

          Something like http://news.yahoo.com/rss/ and, for example,
          http://news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/news_story_search_rss/index.html?p=your%20query%20here
          then?
        • Dave Winer
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
            Isn't it a bit ironic that Google News, which is itself a scraped service,
            is protecting itself from scrapers?

            That said, others are putting ads in their RSS feeds, so why can't Goog?

            Dave

> [...]
            > > our Terms of Use at
            > > http://news.google.com/intl/en_us/terms_google_news.html .
            > >
            > > If you'd like to incorporate Google News search results into your site,
            > > we ask that you do so by creating a link to the Google News main page or
            > > Google News search results. Please feel free to use any of our Google
            > > logos found at http://www.google.com/stickers.html .
            > >
            > > As always, your feedback and comments are very important to us. Please
            > > let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > The Google Team
            > > --------------------------
            > >
            > > [1] http://www.voidstar.com/gnews2rss.php
            > > --
            > > Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
            > > Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
            > > Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
            > > M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433

          • Dan Brickley
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
              * Dave Winer <dave@...> [2004-03-30 12:36-0500]
              > Isn't it a bit ironic that Google News, which is itself a scraped service,
              > is protecting itself from scrapers?

              Good point. I wonder if any of their sources could be persuaded to
              include some form of share-a-like license in the scraped document, eg.

              Dan
            • elijah wright
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                > On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:36:10PM -0500, Dave Winer wrote:
                > > Isn't it a bit ironic that Google News, which is itself a scraped service,
                > > is protecting itself from scrapers?

                i was under the impression that google news pulls rss feeds. that's not
                scraping, either "technically" or effectively.

                elijah
              • Dror Matalon
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                  On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:36:10PM -0500, Dave Winer wrote:
                  > Isn't it a bit ironic that Google News, which is itself a scraped service,
                  > is protecting itself from scrapers?

                  It's a little bit of a gray area. Historically it's been easy for web
                  sites to stop google from spidering them by using robots.txt. Obviously
                  they wouldn't want to do that, and google is leveraging that to do its
                  news scraping. It is somewhat hypocritical for google to now send email
                  to people asking them to stop doing the same. I guess if the NY times
                  sends a cease and desist letter to google, they'll stop scraping.

                  > That said, others are putting ads in their RSS feeds, so why can't Goog?

                  Good point. Can you point to feeds that have ads in them?

                  Regards,

                  Dror

                  --
                  Dror Matalon
                  Zapatec Inc
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                    Aquarion <aq+yahoo@...> wrote:
                    >Something like http://news.yahoo.com/rss/ and, for example,
                    >http://news.search.yahoo.com/usns/ynsearch/categories/news_story_search_
                    >rss/index.html?p=your%20query%20here
                    >then?

                    Yup, that's the one. But like I said, I don't think Yahoo! has reached
                    Google's quality yet.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                      Dror Matalon wrote:

                      >On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:36:10PM -0500, Dave Winer wrote:
                      >

                      >>Isn't it a bit ironic that Google News, which is itself a scraped service,
                      >>is protecting itself from scrapers?
                      >>

                      >It's a little bit of a gray area. Historically it's been easy for web
                      >sites to stop google from spidering them by using robots.txt. Obviously
                      >they wouldn't want to do that, and google is leveraging that to do its
                      >news scraping. It is somewhat hypocritical for google to now send email
                      >to people asking them to stop doing the same. I guess if the NY times
                      >sends a cease and desist letter to google, they'll stop scraping.

                      I wouldn't be surprised if Google had some kind of official arrangement
                      with at least most of the sites it spiders, which is why it's lasted so
                      long (Also why they don't provide anything resembling the content of the
                      article, as I can see that being a central point of any kind of agreement)

                      --
                      Aquarion
                      Aquarionics.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                        A reply! I just got this from the Google-Alert team.

                        I think I should start a running blog entry for this saga.

                        JB
                        --------------------
                        Thank you for your note and your interest in Google News. We don't
                        currently offer an RSS or other feed, but as you may know, Google News
                        is still in beta. We're considering a number of improvements based on
                        feedback from our users. Given that we're still fine-tuning this
                        service, it's too early for us to know which of the many great ideas
                        we've received will be implemented.

                        If you're interested in a feed because you'd like to add Google News to
                        your site, we're flattered. However, we don't currently permit
                        webmasters to display Google News headlines on their sites. You are
                        welcome to link to the Google News main page or Google News search
                        results. If you choose to do this, feel free to use any of our Google

                        Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
                        Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
                        Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
                        M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
                      • W. Frederick Zimmerman, Tech Fun Books
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                          It seems to me there are two basic scenarios for why in the world Google is
                          not providing Google News RSS.

                          1) They are dragging their heels/it will never happen and it's basically all
                          about money.

                          2) They are getting ready to do something really cool with News/RSS that
                          brings together Atom, their blogging property, their new personalization,
                          etc.

                          This thread has spent enough time on discouraging scenario 1), anybody want
                          to paint a pretty picture of scenario 2)? ;-)

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                            "W. Frederick Zimmerman, Tech Fun Books" <rssfunbook@...>
                            wrote:
                            >It seems to me there are two basic scenarios for why in the world Google is
                            >not providing Google News RSS.
                            >
                            >1) They are dragging their heels/it will never happen and it's basically all
                            >about money.
                            >
                            >2) They are getting ready to do something really cool with News/RSS that
                            >brings together Atom, their blogging property, their new personalization,
                            >etc.
                            >
                            >This thread has spent enough time on discouraging scenario 1), anybody want
                            >to paint a pretty picture of scenario 2)? ;-)

                            I think there's a third possibility. They have finite development
                            resource. And putting RSS/Atom into News Search hasn't risen up through
                            the consciousness of the developers who might have done it in their 20%
                            private project time. I still figure if I keep hammering away at them,
                            something will happen. I thought 12 months ago that a proof of concept
                            would do it. Instead I get my bandwidth leached and a rap on the
                            knuckles. ;-)

                            It's always frustrating when people who are still in JFDI, amateur, free
                            mode, coding at 01:00am have to wait for corporate, 9-5, spec, test,
                            "let's have a meeting", slow motion. I think Google probably moved from
                            one to the other some time ago but then I'm a long way from the bunker
                            so maybe I'm wrong.

                            BTW. What is it about "Beta" these days? Google News, Friendster, Orkut,
                            Tribe, Firefox. Did they ship? Then call it V1. Whatever happened to
                            release early, release often, get V1.0 out the door and start work on
                            V2.0 ;-)

                            Back to your question.

                            2) Somewhere between Search, categorization, RSS, Atom, SOAP/XMLRPC
                            APIs, FOAF, Technorati, Blogdex, Blogger, weblogs.com, Typepad/key (and
                            quite a few others) there are indeed some interesting possibilities. I
                            think FOAF in particular just became a Google sized problem looking for
                            a solution. Maybe we'll turn round one day and realize that Microsoft
                            just did it. Stranger things have happened.

                            Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond at voidstar.com
                            Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
                            Personal WebLog: http://www.voidstar.com/
                            M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)192 0412 433
                          • Pavel Kalinov
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                              > That said, others are putting ads in their RSS feeds, so why can't Goog?

                              They are so easy to filter out...

                              Best regards
                              Pavel
                              http://feedz.info/
                            • Pavel Kalinov
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 30, 2004
                                > Good point. Can you point to feeds that have ads in them?

                                ComputerWorld used to do it - item number 7 in the feed would always
                                be an ad. A huge graphic banner, no less...
                                On my site, I have a setting for each feed - how many items the server
                                should parse before giving up. So I would just cut their feed at
                                number six.
                                I was going to point to an example, but when I looked at it now I see
                                they are not doing it anymore.
                                Reminds me to start pulling their whole feed again :-). Or at least
                                the first 20 items.
                                See http://feedz.info/modules.php?op=modload&name=HeadLines&c=8

                                Best regards
                                Pavel
                                http://feedz.info/
                              • Julian Bond
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 1 11:08 PM
                                  My run in with Google over RSS has made the papers.
                                  http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/3334651

                                  It's mostly accurate...

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 2 8:27 AM
                                    If I am an information consumer presented with the choice between RSS and
                                    Atom newsfeed from the same publisher (same content), why should I pick
                                    Atom?