WSIL? Was Re: RSS Auto-Discovery 2.0

  • tappnel
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 13, 2003
      (Cross posted.)

      I think whatever becomes of this directory format be inclusive of many of the formats
      that feeds exist in RSS x.9x, 1.0, 2.0, Echo in addition to Web services.

      From my own experience and others the OPML/blogroll formats are all over the place.
      (See Meg Hourihan recent post on the subject for more: http://www.megnut.com/
      technology/007388.asp) There really was never a specification to my knowledge. Being
      frozen and not supporting proper (read: determinable) extensibility, I'm not in favor of
      pursuing anything based on OPML or existing "blogroll" formats.

      Joe's link tag idea[1] seems fine, but it doesn't seem scalable. Won't I have to repeat all of
      that information in every one of my HTML pages? Won't that be a major pain for some
      like Yahoo that could have hundreds of these? Perhaps I'm reading it incorrectly.

      While everyone is throwing out ideas I figured I may as well unearth this one for some
      additional food for thought:

      WSIL meets RSS.
      http://www.mplode.com/tima/archives/000170.html

      WSIL is Web Services Inspection Language. It seems right in line with what we are talking
      about here. WSIL may not exactly be the ticket since its an under utilized and seemingly
      abandoned specification -- then again wasn't that the case for RSS?

      Here is a topline of the case I made then:

      * I have asserted that RSS syndication feeds are Web services and perhaps the most
      widely deployed Web services across the Internet.

      * In many ways, WSIL is like RSS for Web services. RSS is a file format with pointers to
      published content that can be syndicated and aggregated. WSIL is a file format with
      references to published Web services that can be discovered and bound.

      * I find WSIL intriguing because of its simplicity and lightweight implementation is more
      RESTful then UDDI. WSIL leaves the processing logic to the developer and makes its
      information trivial to access creating the potential for innovative and novel applications
      arise.

      Back when I wrote the above post I created a few quick and rough samples:

      http://www.mplode.com/tima/index.wsil
      http://www.mplode.com/tima/index-rsd.wsil

      One of WSIL's nifty traits is that it can point to other WSIL files which can be helpful with
      large and distributed sites. For example using Troy Hakala's case[2] Yahoo! could have a
      main WSIL file, http://www.yahoo.com/index.wsil, that cover their primary feeds and
      points to other sections WSIL files like http://sports.yahoo.com/index.wsil and http://
      finance.yahoo.com/index.wsil and so on. Another benefit, if Yahoo! would introduce
      some Web service interfaces, they too could be included in these files for applications to
      auto discover.

      <tim/>