Re: [syndication] Re: Expanding Syndication of Content

  • Mark Fletcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27 9:58 AM
      Jason Brome wrote:

      >Loren,
      >
      >Quoting Loren Baker <lorenbake@...>:
      >

      >>Any other tips from the Masters of Syndication?
      >>

      >Just a few things I noticed about your RSS feed. First, the Processing
      >Instruction (<?xml version="1.0" ?>) should be the very first thing in the
      >document. In your feed there are a couple of spaces between the Processing
      >Instruction and the start of the file. This may cause a problem with
      >aggregators that are strict in their parsing of RSS documents.

      Everything Jason said.

      One other thing. All your links use the Tinyurl redirection service.
      This works great for email newsletters, where you have to worry about
      line-breaking. But it puts you at a slight disadvantage with RSS. First,
      the URLs expire after some point, rendering a particular news item
      useless. Also, for services that have search engines, like Bloglines and
      Feedster, having the full, unobfuscated URL pointing back to the full
      article on your site helps you. It's an additional component that people
      can search on and find you.

      Hope this helps.

      Mark
      --