Re: [syndication] Making feed subscribing easier...

  • Jason Brome
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2003
      Kevin,

      > Focus on the user experience. DHTML and layers just doesn't work for
      > production code. For example the dialog kept moving as I was moving the
      > mouse. The fonts were too small... and other little problems.

      The user experience is absolutely key. Ultimately something like quickSub
      should not be required - the user should have a seamless subscribing
      experience, not matter what aggregator they're using. However, in the short
      term, the visual metaphor can be tuned (the joys of open source - take the
      code, make it prettier, contribute it back to the community etc).

      > This isn't your fault. It is 2003 and we should have better standard
      > web controls.

      ... and we should remove the need for this type of selection to be visually
      rendered and executed. If I want to listen to a mp3 file, I click on the
      link, my default selected media player fires up, and the audio starts to
      play. I want the same level of experience with my aggregator - click the
      subscribe button on the blog page, I'm subscribed. Also, being a aggregator
      developer, like yourself, I'm very much interested in the development of a
      standardized subscription model that can be implemented across all
      aggregators, and supported by the common browser applications.

      Regards,

      Jason

      --
      Jason Brome