RSS Discovery

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
      Following:-
      http://diveintomark.org/archives/2002/05/30.html#rss_autodiscovery

      I just added the <link tag to http://www.ecademy.com/ and
      http://www.voidstar.com/

      What if there are two feeds? Do you think it's going to screw the
      readers of the <link tag to just put two entries in?

      For instance, Ecademy has a feed for the weblogs and another feed for
      the articles. I've added both with the blogs one first.

      --
      Julian Bond Email&MSM: julian.bond@...
      Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
        >What if there are two feeds? Do you think it's going to screw the
        >readers of the <link tag to just put two entries in?

        I wanted to ask this question as soon as I heard of this new momentum.
        There are cases where a page could have any number of different feeds
        associated with it. And not just pages like the home page for Syndic8.com
        either.

        There's also the question of what about other applications that would like
        to use text/xml? Wasn't there discussion about using application/xml+rss or
        something?

        -Bill Kearney

      • James Linden
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
          > What if there are two feeds? Do you think it's going to screw the
          > readers of the <link tag to just put two entries in?
          >
          > For instance, Ecademy has a feed for the weblogs and another feed for
          > the articles. I've added both with the blogs one first.

          I would think having the <link ... /> tag point to a feed directory for
          multiple feeds would be better, maybe an OPML document. For only 2 feeds,
          that is a bit obtuse, but in general, I think a directory would be better.

          James
        • Jeff Barr
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 1, 2002
            > I would think having the <link ... /> tag point to a feed directory for
            > multiple feeds would be better, maybe an OPML document. For only 2 feeds,
            > that is a bit obtuse, but in general, I think a directory would be better.

            This would be hard for a scriptlet to handle, since it would have to
            fetch a separate document into a hidden window or frame. It would
            be easier for a scriptlet to extract *all* of the relevant link tags and
            then pass those on to the underlying site as an argument list. The
            site can then present a web-based UI to allow the user to choose
            any or all of the feeds.

            For example, here's a scriptlet that I found:

            oid(d=document);
            void(el=d.getElementsByTagName('link'));
            for(i=0;i<el.length;i++)
            {
            if(el[i].getAttribute('rel').indexOf('alternate') != -1 && el[i].getAttribute('type').indexOf('text/xml')!=-1)
            {
            void(location.href='http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedDataURL='+el[i].getAttribute('href'))
            };
            };

            It would not be hard to modify it to accumulate all of the tags and then pass
            all of them to the site.

            Jeff;