Re: [syndication] Announce: Weblogs.Com changes in RSS

  • Mike Krus
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 14, 2001
      Paul Nakada wrote:

      > I beg to differ!! ;-) This is a huge deal from the side of the developer.
      >
      > The days of polling RSS feeds for changes need to be a thing of the past.
      > It's just not a scalable way to do things.
      yes! And then you have the problem of finding where to look to

      update notifications.

      If weblogs.com is the only place, it's easy, but will that scale?

      If you have several place, where do you have to look for a
      specific RSS file?

      Maybe we can extend RSS .92 to include that place:

      <channel>
      <updates>http://www.weblogs.com/changes.xml</updates>
      </channel>

      What do you think?

      Mike

      --
      NewsIsFree http://www.newsisfree.com/
      http://www.newsisfree.com/module.php?mod=blog&op=view&name=Mike+Krus
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 14, 2001
        Mike Krus wrote:

        > Maybe we can extend RSS .92 to include that place:
        >
        > <channel>
        > <updates>http://www.weblogs.com/changes.xml</updates>
        > </channel>
        or maybe use Syndic8's feed registration service [1]. In [2],

        the change notification includes the id of the feed on Syndic8
        (0 if it's not there).

        So you get the id, read Syndi8's OCS file and find the feed RSS.

        Mike

        [1] http://www.syndic8.com/
        [2] http://www.newsisfree.com/HPE/xml/changes.xml

        --
        NewsIsFree http://www.newsisfree.com/
        http://www.newsisfree.com/module.php?mod=blog&op=view&name=Mike+Krus
        Jabber: mkrus@... MSN: mwkrus@... ICQ: 30900412
      • Bill Kearney
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 14, 2001
          > > The days of polling RSS feeds for changes need to be a thing
          > > of the past. It's just not a scalable way to do things.

          How many times do we keep hearing polling is bad and it doesn't
          scale. Then we hear updates aren't getting routed properly. Then
          polling comes 'round again.

          Seems like there's a place for both. Picking the right one differs
          based on your application. Using one exclusively, I'll argue, is a
          mistake.

          <plug>Why, www.syndic8.com, of course!</plug>

          > update notifications.
          > If weblogs.com is the only place, it's easy, but will that scale?

          Perhaps the clouds can agree to provide an XML document listing any
          other clouds they 'know about'. Seems fair. The question then
          becomes do you want to simply let your local toolset ask that
          question from a manually configured first cloud and have
          it 'automagically' build it's list? Or would you want this to
          remain a manually configured feature in the toolset.

          > <channel>
          > <updates>http://www.weblogs.com/changes.xml</updates>
          > </channel>
          >
          > What do you think?

          You mean to let your local consumer of the feed (not just a client)
          know where the feed's source sends it's updates? That would be
          interesting. Couple this with the update aggregator supporting an
          announcement of other clouds then it becomes quite viral.

          I'd think that you'd want to put some kind of suggested limit on the
          number of <updates> elements in the feed itself. What if there's
          such an abundance of clouds that the automagic updaters start
          overloading the <channel> element with too many clouds. (we should
          be so lucky)

          This also doesn't address whether they're going to be cgi, XML-RPC,
          SOAP or whatever. XML-RPC is as good place as any to start it.

          This would be an interesting way for feeds to help publicize the
          clouds and vice versa.

          -Bill Kearney
        • Julian Bond
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 14, 2001
            In article <9suint+rfs6@...>, Bill Kearney
            <wkearney99@...> writes
            >Perhaps the clouds can agree to provide an XML document listing any
            >other clouds they 'know about'. Seems fair.

            Dries of the Drupal[1] crew has a design mapped out for a distributed
            cloud, Seti@home style.

            [1]http://www.drupal.org

            --
            Julian Bond email: julian_bond@...