Re: [syndication] Moving Forward...

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11 9:45 PM
      Alis and Jeff, I had an idea coming from Jeff's post.

      It's not about RSS, but it is about aggregation.

      If we had lists of all the people we care about, then we could automate
      notification that they survived some catastrophe. People quickly put up web
      apps for people to register their survival. A lot more can be done here.

      Living in California with our earthquakes, and having parents in NY gave me
      this idea as we went a few hours today knowing that my father was in
      Manhattan, and not knowing if he survived.

      He did, btw, thankfully!

      Dave
    • Jeff Barr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11 10:04 PM
        Yes, there is definitely a good idea here. Perhaps the "buddy lists"
        of an instant messaging client could be used as a starting point.

        On a less pleasant note, my father asked me recently if there was
        a way to make sure that one's email correspondents received some
        kind of notice in the event of an untimely death. He was thinking
        of this as a business proposition. It would be kind of decent to
        have some kind of "trigger event" which would send a death notice
        to one's personal correspondents and mailing lists.

        Good to hear about your Dad. I've found that the net in all of
        its forms (web pages, IM, and email) seem more reliable in the
        midst of these kinds of events. During the last big event (the Seattle
        earthquake) I was in LA
        and could not reach my family in Seattle by phone. However, IM
        came through and it was a great relief to chat with my wife and
        kids.

        Jeff;

        Alis and Jeff, I had an idea coming from Jeff's post.

        It's not about RSS, but it is about aggregation.

        If we had lists of all the people we care about, then we could automate
        notification that they survived some catastrophe. People quickly put up
        web
        apps for people to register their survival. A lot more can be done here.

        Living in California with our earthquakes, and having parents in NY gave
        me
        this idea as we went a few hours today knowing that my father was in
        Manhattan, and not knowing if he survived.

        He did, btw, thankfully!

        Dave

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Dan Lyke
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 12 1:06 PM
          Jeff Barr writes:
          > On a less pleasant note, my father asked me recently if there was
          > a way to make sure that one's email correspondents received some
          > kind of notice in the event of an untimely death. He was thinking
          > of this as a business proposition.

          Several times I've thought about a "dead-man switch" that does such a
          thing if my server doesn't see evidence of my existence for, say, two
          weeks or so. Heck, with ACH check processing it's probably possible
          for me to set up a system which would distribute checks to the various
          charities and causes I want to support when I die.

          Probably some interesting legal implications of that...

          The thing that always comes up with me is that whenever I've put
          similar systems in place, especially ones that operate invisibly
          (which this would be), I always forget that they're there. Thus I'd
          have to have some sort of safeguard that, before triggering, tried to
          contact me through a couple of non-standard systems. I haven't figured
          out what those systems are yet, and I'm afraid that at some point I'll
          look at my bank account, say "screw it", and disappear for a couple of
          months and go se����e world without thinking through all the
          ramifications.

          Dan
        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 14 10:54 AM
            > Probably some interesting legal implications of that...

            Yes, most notably being that a dead man can't execute a valid
            financial or contractual instrument. The cheques written wouldn't be
            valid.

            This is why you use a last will and testament. Simply have your
            attorney be instructed to do something regarding annoucements. They
            can't, however, do anything with funds or property until the will is
            executed.

            IANAL, but my father was and he specialized in Real Estate and
            Probate. Or "Dead people and the ground they're in" as he used to
            say.

            -Bill Kearney