Moving Forward...

  • Jeff Barr
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2001
      Ouch. My heart hurts. Given that I was just about to step onto
      a plane from Seattle to Los Angeles this morning when the FAA
      shut down the airport, today's events struck just a bit close
      to home.

      If we can get something positive out of this (and stop me if I
      am stretching a bit), it seems to me that the work of
      [syndication] can help in some small way to make the world
      a better place. For what we are doing is spreading news and
      hopefully truth.

      If a person gets their news from just one place, they have one
      perspective. When I lived in Maryland, way too many people
      thought that The Washington Post was the gospel truth. But the
      work that we've done with syndicated headlines tells us
      otherwise. There are many aspects to the truth, and by allowing
      our customers to see more than one viewpoint perhaps we can help
      them to be informed citizens and not slaves to single-sourced
      media. I know for sure that I've received a lot of feedback from
      my users telling me that they've been able to see the world from
      many new and informative vantage points. This is what I am
      talking about.

      Clearly those in impoverished, isolated towns are not going to
      directly benefit from anything that we are doing now. Clearly
      the information on some web site will not help oppressed masses
      overthrow a despotic regime.

      But every little bit has to help. And I can't help but think
      that what we've done so far, and what we can do in the next 6
      months, might help in some way.

      I sincerely don't believe I am stretching the truth when I claim
      that what we do will result in people having access to more and
      better information, and that they will be able to make better
      decisions and to reject sole-sourced dogmatic views. I see no
      harm in that, and I see a lot of good. There's probably no way
      to measure our progress, and I doubt that we will ever stop a
      war or a terrorist attack. Let's do what we can, though.

      Jeff;

      Jeff Barr - Vertex Development - (mailto:jeff@...)
      Address: 4610 191st Place NE. Redmond, WA 98074;
      Phone: Office: 425-868-4919 - Home: 425-836-5624
      IM: MSN: jeffscottbarr@...; AIM: jeffscottbarr
      Homepage: http://www.vertexdev.com/~jeff
      Resume: http://www.vertexdev.com/~jeff/resume.html
    • Alis Marsden
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2001
        Thank you for writing this Jeff.

        Alis Marsden (speechless for once)

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 11, 2001
          Alis and Jeff, I had an idea coming from Jeff's post.

          It's not about RSS, but it is about aggregation.

          If we had lists of all the people we care about, then we could automate
          notification that they survived some catastrophe. People quickly put up web
          apps for people to register their survival. A lot more can be done here.

          Living in California with our earthquakes, and having parents in NY gave me
          this idea as we went a few hours today knowing that my father was in
          Manhattan, and not knowing if he survived.

          He did, btw, thankfully!

          Dave
        • Jeff Barr
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 11, 2001
            Yes, there is definitely a good idea here. Perhaps the "buddy lists"
            of an instant messaging client could be used as a starting point.

            On a less pleasant note, my father asked me recently if there was
            a way to make sure that one's email correspondents received some
            kind of notice in the event of an untimely death. He was thinking
            of this as a business proposition. It would be kind of decent to
            have some kind of "trigger event" which would send a death notice
            to one's personal correspondents and mailing lists.

            Good to hear about your Dad. I've found that the net in all of
            its forms (web pages, IM, and email) seem more reliable in the
            midst of these kinds of events. During the last big event (the Seattle
            earthquake) I was in LA
            and could not reach my family in Seattle by phone. However, IM
            came through and it was a great relief to chat with my wife and
            kids.

            Jeff;

            Alis and Jeff, I had an idea coming from Jeff's post.

            It's not about RSS, but it is about aggregation.

            If we had lists of all the people we care about, then we could automate
            notification that they survived some catastrophe. People quickly put up
            web
            apps for people to register their survival. A lot more can be done here.

            Living in California with our earthquakes, and having parents in NY gave
            me
            this idea as we went a few hours today knowing that my father was in
            Manhattan, and not knowing if he survived.

            He did, btw, thankfully!

            Dave

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Dan Lyke
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 12, 2001
              Jeff Barr writes:
              > On a less pleasant note, my father asked me recently if there was
              > a way to make sure that one's email correspondents received some
              > kind of notice in the event of an untimely death. He was thinking
              > of this as a business proposition.

              Several times I've thought about a "dead-man switch" that does such a
              thing if my server doesn't see evidence of my existence for, say, two
              weeks or so. Heck, with ACH check processing it's probably possible
              for me to set up a system which would distribute checks to the various
              charities and causes I want to support when I die.

              Probably some interesting legal implications of that...

              The thing that always comes up with me is that whenever I've put
              similar systems in place, especially ones that operate invisibly
              (which this would be), I always forget that they're there. Thus I'd
              have to have some sort of safeguard that, before triggering, tried to
              contact me through a couple of non-standard systems. I haven't figured
              out what those systems are yet, and I'm afraid that at some point I'll
              look at my bank account, say "screw it", and disappear for a couple of
              months and go se����e world without thinking through all the
              ramifications.

              Dan
            • Bill Kearney
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 14, 2001
                > Probably some interesting legal implications of that...

                Yes, most notably being that a dead man can't execute a valid
                financial or contractual instrument. The cheques written wouldn't be
                valid.

                This is why you use a last will and testament. Simply have your
                attorney be instructed to do something regarding annoucements. They
                can't, however, do anything with funds or property until the will is
                executed.

                IANAL, but my father was and he specialized in Real Estate and
                Probate. Or "Dead people and the ground they're in" as he used to
                say.

                -Bill Kearney