The Scripting News Train

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 5 , May 11, 2001
      My friend Robert Scoble is doing a Train Simulator train [1] for Scripting News.

      It's a whole new metaphor. Of course now I want Train Simulator to support RSS. ;->

      Of course someone has to do the Cluetrain Train.

      What if the two trains meet?

      Dave

    • Julian Bond
      Message 2 of 5 , May 12, 2001
        In article <03d001c0da85$b03e1ca0$33a1dc40@murphy>, Dave Winer
        <dave@...> writes
        > It's a whole new metaphor. Of course now I want Train Simulator to
        > support RSS. ;->

        Sorry, "What is RSS?" ;-*)

        BTW. I see you took the default in your new copy of Outlook Excess to
        send html email. You might like to switch it to plain text. Some people
        really hate html in mailing lists.

        --
        Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
        HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
        Message 3 of 5 , May 12, 2001
          When I promote RSS it's only about simple web content syndication not the
          semantic web and other stuff that makes web developers (and my) eyes glaze
          over. I'm thinking about not wasting my time on this anymore. There's an
          off-topic competition in this space, yet the groundrules for competition are
          pertty vague and designed to favor the other people (hey 1.0 must be better
          than 0.92, right?). Why compete when the deck is stacked that way. It dawned
          on me the other day when people here started complaining about the
          white-on-orange XML button -- what have *they* done to make RSS a success?
          I've put too much energy into RSS already, you're right Julian maybe I
          should stop. Dave

          > > It's a whole new metaphor. Of course now I want Train Simulator to
          > > support RSS. ;->
          >
          > Sorry, "What is RSS?" ;-*)
          >
          > BTW. I see you took the default in your new copy of Outlook Excess to
          > send html email. You might like to switch it to plain text. Some people
          > really hate html in mailing lists.
          >
          > --
          > Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
          > HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
          > WorkURL: http://www.netmarketseurope.com/
          > WebLog: http://roguemoon.manilasites.com/
          > M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)20 7420 4363
          > ICQ:33679668 tag:So many words, so little time

        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 5 , May 12, 2001
            > When I promote RSS it's only about simple web content syndication
            not the
            > semantic web and other stuff that makes web developers (and my)
            eyes glaze
            > over. I'm thinking about not wasting my time on this anymore.
            There's an
            > off-topic competition in this space, yet the groundrules for
            competition are
            > pertty vague and designed to favor the other people (hey 1.0 must
            be better
            > than 0.92, right?). Why compete when the deck is stacked that way.
            It dawned
            > on me the other day when people here started complaining about the
            > white-on-orange XML button -- what have *they* done to make RSS a
            success?
            > I've put too much energy into RSS already, you're right Julian
            maybe I
            > should stop. Dave

            Yes, maybe you should stop. Not stopping the code authoring, stop
            the endless sniping and whining about RSS. It's grown way too
            tired. Stick to programming and positive news.

            As for what have others done, ask why they started and then stopped.
            In many cases it's because they got fed up of the attitudes and
            overblown ego.

            -Bill Kearney
          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 5 , May 12, 2001
              Since Douglas Adams died yesterday, I spent some time this morning reading
              about his life through the Web and came across this quote.

              "I long ago stopped answering questions on the alt.fan.douglas-adams usenet
              group, because it never produced good results. I would either get flamed
              with 'Don't try and pretend you're him!' mail, or accounts of what I'd said
              would get bounced around in more and more garbled versions as soon as my own
              reply had dropped off the stack.'"

              http://www.tdv.com/html/douglas_a.html

              Perhaps in honor of his memory we could try to be more accepting of other
              points of view. I'd like to participate in these groups as a full member,
              and with the respect that comes with that.

              Thanks..