Evangelizing RSS

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 18 , May 9 1:46 AM
      I have just had this conversation with a content provider.

      >On Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:08 AM, Julian Bond wrote:
      >| Do you produce an RSS file for syndication of headlines?
      >| If you do, where is it?
      >| If you don't, why not?
      >| If you don't know what it is, look here http://www.blogspace.com/rss/
      >Please excuse my ignorance. I checked the site, distinct concise reasons
      >for why we should be offering RSS docs were not easily forthcoming and I
      >ran out of time. Please send me a link to a dummies guide, I am interested
      >but don't have time to trawl through RSS history looking for explanations
      >of why RSS should prevail.

      Here's another one from a site that outsources it's web development. I
      think I hit the outsourcing company not the owners.
      >No one has ever offered us money to produce one.

      ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
      explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
      *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
      the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
      aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

      This particular guy is the webmaster for one of the titles at EMAP ("400
      titles"). I'm still hopeful that I can convince him.

      [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
      right now... Perhaps a group effort?

      --
      Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
      HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 18 , May 9 5:46 AM
        Julian says,

        > ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
        > explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
        > *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
        > the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
        > aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

        Definitely! I was thinking about evangelizing syndication last night while
        walking past the offices of "Deseret News" in Salt Lake City (I'm here for
        the day). We need a nice FAQ-like document, one that we control, which makes
        the business case first, and then proceeds to the details. This should be a
        one or two pager.

        The business case part should be pretty simple:

        Q: Why should I syndicate my site's headlines.

        A: Because an investment of just a few hours of development time will
        bring your site's headlines to the world in such a way that your
        site will get more traffic. There will be little, if any, continued
        investment.

        > [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
        > right now... Perhaps a group effort?

        We need a coordinator that can paste finished results into a master
        document (it should be a single document for easy printing). And we
        need an outline. The rest is easy. I'm in the "little busy" boat with
        Julian. I can contribute, but I cannot coordinate right now.

        Jeff;

        I have just had this conversation with a content provider.

        >On Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:08 AM, Julian Bond wrote:
        >| Do you produce an RSS file for syndication of headlines?
        >| If you do, where is it?
        >| If you don't, why not?
        >| If you don't know what it is, look here http://www.blogspace.com/rss/
        >Please excuse my ignorance. I checked the site, distinct concise reasons
        >for why we should be offering RSS docs were not easily forthcoming and I
        >ran out of time. Please send me a link to a dummies guide, I am interested
        >but don't have time to trawl through RSS history looking for explanations
        >of why RSS should prevail.

        Here's another one from a site that outsources it's web development. I
        think I hit the outsourcing company not the owners.
        >No one has ever offered us money to produce one.

        ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
        explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
        *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
        the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
        aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

        This particular guy is the webmaster for one of the titles at EMAP ("400
        titles"). I'm still hopeful that I can convince him.

        [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
        right now... Perhaps a group effort?

        --
        Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
        HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
        WorkURL: http://www.netmarketseurope.com/
        WebLog: http://roguemoon.manilasites.com/
        M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)20 7420 4363
        ICQ:33679668 tag:So many words, so little time

      • Dave Winer
        Message 3 of 18 , May 9 7:45 AM
          Jeff, what is RSS?

          Dave

          Message 4 of 18 , May 12 12:47 PM
            Sometime it helps to wait a day or two before hitting the send key. I
            shouldn't even have to say this, but I'm not trying to be contentious
            here, I'm trying to get some perspective.

            I came to this late, long after the major work was done on defining rss.
            I've read enough and done enough research to understand some of the
            sources of the discontent, but I really wonder what all the fuss is
            about. From where I'm standing, rss looks like a major success. I don't
            have figures to back it up, but I suspect it's *the* most successful XML
            format in terms of implementations. Anyone care to guess how many Mb of
            rss data are created every day?

            The competing standards are close enough that from the point of view of
            a consumer of rss, or a programmer parsing the data, the differences are
            a small pain but really not hard.

            So without further ado. And in order from the ridiculous to the
            sensible.

            Q: What is RSS?

            1: It's a set of three letters that seem to create tension between
            people whenever they're mentioned.

            2: It's a name not an acronym. At least no one acronym. At various
            times, it has been converted into an acronym meaning Rich Site Summary,
            Really Simple Syndication or something else entirely.

            3: It's one of several XML formats that Userland use to transport
            information around various parts of the Userland cloud. Despite (or
            perhaps, because of) their involvement in the development of several of
            the rss variants, their use of rss is subtly different to everyone
            else's. But the differences are so small as to be effectively irrelevant
            and the Userland sites are a major source of information in rss format.

            4: It's a name for a loose collection of related but subtly different
            and competing standards using XML. The standards are simple enough that
            it's easy to create the files either with code or by hand. They
            are also close enough that it's fairly trivial to write code that can
            read the data from any of them and do something useful with it. The
            standards are designed to allow a content generation website to
            syndicate its headlines to other websites in a simple, and easy to
            create form. Inevitably, inventive people have thought of many other
            sources and uses.

            It's hard to tell how many websites publish an RSS file but estimates
            suggest there are now >4000 publically accessible rss feeds on the
            internet. Manila and most of the "Slash" codesets like Scoop,
            PHP-Nuke and Drupal generate rss by default. In addition, there are
            several efforts round the web to convert existing websites into an rss
            feed with or without the approval of the website owners. All this
            suggests that the actual figure may be much higher. On the commercial
            and semi-commercial side, Moreover, 10.am and others are collecting
            headline data from mostly commercial sites, categorizing it and then re-
            publishing it as rss, among other formats.

            5. But above all, rss is really simple, simon. I bet if you stripped the
            descriptions to the bone, you could fit all the variants on a single
            sheet of A4. Even a pretty poor programmer, such as myself, can extract
            the data from rss with a few string functions and generate it with a few
            more.

            This is it's greatest strength.

            So what to do?

            Well, if you manage a website, generate an rss file. Pick a format and
            just do it, by hand if you have to. My preference would be for 0.92 but
            if you prefer rdf, use 1.0. I don't care. And then make sure it's
            obvious on your site where it is.

            For my uses, I keep wanting to pick up rss from sites that don't
            currently produce it. So I hassle the webmaster. It doesn't always work,
            but sometimes it does. I suggest you do the same.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 12 5:35 PM
              Right on Julian. I'm glad you had the courage to hit the Send key.

              My main question, beyond what you've covered here, is how to evolve.

              Based on other uses of version numbering in software, one would reasonably
              conclude that 1.0 came after 0.92, but that's not true. And what of future
              versions? And what if RSS starts getting press? Or would it already *be*
              getting press if it were not for the confusion?

              Perhaps you have some ideas about this as well.

              Dave