PRISM

  • David Smiley
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2001
      I have decided to go with the PRISM specification for a project I'm
      working on. It appears that PRISM is a superset of RSS 1.0 (although
      it never even /mentions/ RSS). Any comments out there regarding
      PRISM and RSS?

      http://www.prismstandard.org/
    • Dave Winer
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2001
        It looks like an offshoot from the ICE working group. I met with them a few
        months ago, and they wanted to work with people from this community. I
        recommend it, esp if it's a subset of the RDF stuff, it would solve the
        naming issue, and the RDF people would find kindred spirits to work with. I
        told the ICE people I felt we could work together. This may be the perfect
        solution. The ICE people have conf calls every Tuesday, I'll make a point of
        asking about this on a future call. Dave

        > I have decided to go with the PRISM specification for a project I'm
        > working on. It appears that PRISM is a superset of RSS 1.0 (although
        > it never even /mentions/ RSS). Any comments out there regarding
        > PRISM and RSS?
        >
        > http://www.prismstandard.org/

      • Julian Bond
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2001
          In article <092701c0d4b2$b22b1910$33a1dc40@murphy>, Dave Winer
          <dave@...> writes
          >It looks like an offshoot from the ICE working group. I met with them a few
          >months ago, and they wanted to work with people from this community. I
          >recommend it, esp if it's a subset of the RDF stuff, it would solve the
          >naming issue, and the RDF people would find kindred spirits to work with. I
          >told the ICE people I felt we could work together. This may be the perfect
          >solution. The ICE people have conf calls every Tuesday, I'll make a point of
          >asking about this on a future call. Dave

          Given that Prism is made up of all the major CMS vendors, it would be
          worth infiltrating the group to prompt them to include RSS as a subset
          and hence make it available to every site that uses them. ISTM that the
          PRISM group are trying to solve a different problem entirely, even
          though the source material is the same. As you say, it's curious that
          the letters "RSS" can't be found on any of the major pages on their
          site, even as a ref.

          --
          Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
          HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2001
            > Given that Prism is made up of all the major CMS vendors, it would be
            > worth infiltrating the group to prompt them to include RSS as a subset
            > and hence make it available to every site that uses them. ISTM that the
            > PRISM group are trying to solve a different problem entirely, even
            > though the source material is the same. As you say, it's curious that
            > the letters "RSS" can't be found on any of the major pages on their
            > site, even as a ref.

            I've met with them, they want to offer something to this community, but I
            don't blame them for shunning RSS itself, if I were in their shoes I'd stay
            away. This place is a huge mess.

            If you ask "What is RSS?" on this list, you're likely to get blamed for
            starting a flamewar. This is a pretty basic problem.

            That you want to infiltrate them is another indication of the problem. It's
            a pretty hostile thing to want to do. Check it out.

            http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=infiltrate

            Dave

            > >It looks like an offshoot from the ICE working group. I met with them a
            few
            > >months ago, and they wanted to work with people from this community. I
            > >recommend it, esp if it's a subset of the RDF stuff, it would solve the
            > >naming issue, and the RDF people would find kindred spirits to work with.
            > >told the ICE people I felt we could work together. This may be the
            perfect
            > >solution. The ICE people have conf calls every Tuesday, I'll make a point
            of
            > >asking about this on a future call. Dave

          • Aaron Swartz
            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2001
              Julian Bond <julian@...> wrote:

              > Given that Prism is made up of all the major CMS vendors, it would be
              > worth infiltrating the group to prompt them to include RSS as a subset
              > and hence make it available to every site that uses them.

              That's an interesting idea. It would probably add some extra complication
              though, which they won't want, and it's not completely compatible with their
              way of doing things.

              Ron, what do you think of this?

              > ISTM that the
              > PRISM group are trying to solve a different problem entirely, even
              > though the source material is the same. As you say, it's curious that
              > the letters "RSS" can't be found on any of the major pages on their
              > site, even as a ref.

              I had them add a blurb about RSS -- it should be in sometime soon.

              --
              [ Aaron Swartz | me@... | http://www.aaronsw.com ]
            • Julian Bond
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2001
                In article <029301c0d633$67946af0$33a1dc40@murphy>, Dave Winer
                <dave@...> writes
                >That you want to infiltrate them is another indication of the problem. It's
                >a pretty hostile thing to want to do. Check it out.
                >
                >http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=infiltrate

                Words are such dangerous things, aren't they!? Had I not used
                "infiltrate" and instead said "work with them to try and get RSS support
                included in their products" would that have made any difference?

                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2001
                  Yes, it would have made a difference.

                  I didn't say that words are dangerous (maybe they are) but it does reflect
                  an attitude and more important, shows that RSS has a broken philosophy.

                  What do we stand for? Does it mean anything to point to RSS, or is it
                  totally random what you'll get back.

                  Ask any two people what RSS is, and you might get two different answers.

                  Trying to bury the problem is no good. It's still there.

                  Dave