sequence of items in RSS

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 11:46 AM
      What do people generally do about the sequence of items in an RSS file?
      Is it most recent first or last? There's nothing in the standard about
      this, and probably shouldn't be.

      And what about those RSS feeds that put all the content in the feed,
      such as the Radio cloud. Is the RSS file expected to be read top down or
      bottom up?

      The reason I'm asking is that I'm experimenting with aggregating a
      number of feeds into a database and want to read them out last in first
      out. It looks as though generally, people are adding new items at the
      beginning of the file and expiring old ones off the bottom but I'm
      wondering if this is a common convention.

      --
      Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
      HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 12:13 PM
        Julian, speaking for our RSS stuff only..

        1. In Manila, the order of the RSS is determined by the order of items on
        your home page.

        2. In Radio-generated RSS feeds it's most-recent-first, and they scroll off
        the bottom, as you describe in this post.

        Dave

        > What do people generally do about the sequence of items in an RSS file?
        > Is it most recent first or last? There's nothing in the standard about
        > this, and probably shouldn't be.
        >
        > And what about those RSS feeds that put all the content in the feed,
        > such as the Radio cloud. Is the RSS file expected to be read top down or
        > bottom up?
        >
        > The reason I'm asking is that I'm experimenting with aggregating a
        > number of feeds into a database and want to read them out last in first
        > out. It looks as though generally, people are adding new items at the
        > beginning of the file and expiring old ones off the bottom but I'm
        > wondering if this is a common convention.
        >
        > --
        > Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
        > HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
        > WorkURL: http://www.netmarketseurope.com/
        > WebLog: http://roguemoon.manilasites.com/
        > M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)20 7420 4363
        > ICQ:33679668 tag:So many words, so little time

      • Rael Dornfest
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 2 12:57 PM
          Howdy,

          > From: "Julian Bond" <julian@...>

          > > What do people generally do about the sequence of items in an RSS file?
          > > Is it most recent first or last? There's nothing in the standard about
          > > this, and probably shouldn't be.

          From what I've seen, it can go either way. Putting newest items at the top,
          though, seems to a convention of sorts.

          > > And what about those RSS feeds that put all the content in the feed,
          > > such as the Radio cloud. Is the RSS file expected to be read top down or
          > > bottom up?

          The tools and libraries I've used (e.g. XML::RSS) tend to parse top down.

          Note: In RSS 1.0, order is explicit using an RDF Seq(uence), thusly:

          <items>
          <rdf:Seq>
          <rdf:li resource="http://xml.com/pub/2000/08/09/xslt/xslt.html" />
          <rdf:li resource="http://xml.com/pub/2000/08/09/rdfdb/index.html" />
          </rdf:Seq>
          </items>

          This is analagous to the HTML ordered list:

          <ol>
          <li>First</li>
          <li>Second</li>
          </ol>

          So, while this still doesn't tell you whether the person is going in
          chronological, reverse chronological, or some other order, it does tell you
          the order in which they'd prefer the items to appear.

          > > The reason I'm asking is that I'm experimenting with aggregating a
          > > number of feeds into a database and want to read them out last in first
          > > out.

          Radio Userland, Meerkat, Manila (using the News feature), et al adopt the
          same philosophy. Amphetadesk, Slashboxes, and the like also read top-down
          and seem to assume latest at the top and oldest falling off the bottom.

          Hope this helps.

          Rael