Evangelizing RSS

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 22, 2001
      Some campaigns that would be worth supporting.

      - For RSS everywhere, on every site, with a button
      - For Dublin Core metadata on every web page
      - Against support for old browsers

      And of course,
      - Against HTML emails and MS Email Readers.

      I bet there's others...

      --
      Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
      HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 22, 2001
        --- In syndication@y..., Julian Bond <julian@n...> wrote:
        > Some campaigns that would be worth supporting.
        >
        > - For RSS everywhere, on every site, with a button
        That would be great. And preferably with some sort of XML tag
        around it so that software can pick up this button and use the
        RSS file.

        > - For Dublin Core metadata on every web page
        This sure beats using META tags and allows much more useful
        searches (e.g. search for all pages written by Julian Bond on subject
        of RSS or syndication).

        > - Against support for old browsers
        Hmmm, I prefer 'For the standard-compliant browsers'.

        > - Against HTML emails and MS Email Readers.
        HTML emails - yes, MS Email Readers => 'For better security in mail
        programs'

        Eugene Pervago
        pervago@...
        ICQ: 6254981
        WebLog: http://eugene.manilasites.com/
      • Julian Bond
        Message 3 of 18 , May 9, 2001
          I have just had this conversation with a content provider.

          >On Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:08 AM, Julian Bond wrote:
          >| Do you produce an RSS file for syndication of headlines?
          >| If you do, where is it?
          >| If you don't, why not?
          >| If you don't know what it is, look here http://www.blogspace.com/rss/
          >Please excuse my ignorance. I checked the site, distinct concise reasons
          >for why we should be offering RSS docs were not easily forthcoming and I
          >ran out of time. Please send me a link to a dummies guide, I am interested
          >but don't have time to trawl through RSS history looking for explanations
          >of why RSS should prevail.

          Here's another one from a site that outsources it's web development. I
          think I hit the outsourcing company not the owners.
          >No one has ever offered us money to produce one.

          ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
          explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
          *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
          the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
          aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

          This particular guy is the webmaster for one of the titles at EMAP ("400
          titles"). I'm still hopeful that I can convince him.

          [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
          right now... Perhaps a group effort?

          --
          Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
          HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
          WorkURL: http://www.netmarketseurope.com/
          WebLog: http://roguemoon.manilasites.com/
          M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)20 7420 4363
          ICQ:33679668 tag:So many words, so little time
        • Jeff Barr
          Message 4 of 18 , May 9, 2001
            Julian says,

            > ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
            > explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
            > *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
            > the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
            > aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

            Definitely! I was thinking about evangelizing syndication last night while
            walking past the offices of "Deseret News" in Salt Lake City (I'm here for
            the day). We need a nice FAQ-like document, one that we control, which makes
            the business case first, and then proceeds to the details. This should be a
            one or two pager.

            The business case part should be pretty simple:

            Q: Why should I syndicate my site's headlines.

            A: Because an investment of just a few hours of development time will
            bring your site's headlines to the world in such a way that your
            site will get more traffic. There will be little, if any, continued
            investment.

            > [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
            > right now... Perhaps a group effort?

            We need a coordinator that can paste finished results into a master
            document (it should be a single document for easy printing). And we
            need an outline. The rest is easy. I'm in the "little busy" boat with
            Julian. I can contribute, but I cannot coordinate right now.

            Jeff;

            I have just had this conversation with a content provider.

            >On Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:08 AM, Julian Bond wrote:
            >| Do you produce an RSS file for syndication of headlines?
            >| If you do, where is it?
            >| If you don't, why not?
            >| If you don't know what it is, look here http://www.blogspace.com/rss/
            >Please excuse my ignorance. I checked the site, distinct concise reasons
            >for why we should be offering RSS docs were not easily forthcoming and I
            >ran out of time. Please send me a link to a dummies guide, I am interested
            >but don't have time to trawl through RSS history looking for explanations
            >of why RSS should prevail.

            Here's another one from a site that outsources it's web development. I
            think I hit the outsourcing company not the owners.
            >No one has ever offered us money to produce one.

            ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
            explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
            *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
            the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
            aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

            This particular guy is the webmaster for one of the titles at EMAP ("400
            titles"). I'm still hopeful that I can convince him.

            [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
            right now... Perhaps a group effort?

            --
            Julian Bond eMail: julian@...
            HomeURL: http://www.shockwav.demon.co.uk/
            WorkURL: http://www.netmarketseurope.com/
            WebLog: http://roguemoon.manilasites.com/
            M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173 T: +44 (0)20 7420 4363
            ICQ:33679668 tag:So many words, so little time

          • Dave Winer
            Message 5 of 18 , May 9, 2001
              Jeff, what is RSS?

              Dave

              Message 6 of 18 , May 12, 2001
                Sometime it helps to wait a day or two before hitting the send key. I
                shouldn't even have to say this, but I'm not trying to be contentious
                here, I'm trying to get some perspective.

                I came to this late, long after the major work was done on defining rss.
                I've read enough and done enough research to understand some of the
                sources of the discontent, but I really wonder what all the fuss is
                about. From where I'm standing, rss looks like a major success. I don't
                have figures to back it up, but I suspect it's *the* most successful XML
                format in terms of implementations. Anyone care to guess how many Mb of
                rss data are created every day?

                The competing standards are close enough that from the point of view of
                a consumer of rss, or a programmer parsing the data, the differences are
                a small pain but really not hard.

                So without further ado. And in order from the ridiculous to the
                sensible.

                Q: What is RSS?

                1: It's a set of three letters that seem to create tension between
                people whenever they're mentioned.

                2: It's a name not an acronym. At least no one acronym. At various
                times, it has been converted into an acronym meaning Rich Site Summary,
                Really Simple Syndication or something else entirely.

                3: It's one of several XML formats that Userland use to transport
                information around various parts of the Userland cloud. Despite (or
                perhaps, because of) their involvement in the development of several of
                the rss variants, their use of rss is subtly different to everyone
                else's. But the differences are so small as to be effectively irrelevant
                and the Userland sites are a major source of information in rss format.

                4: It's a name for a loose collection of related but subtly different
                and competing standards using XML. The standards are simple enough that
                it's easy to create the files either with code or by hand. They
                are also close enough that it's fairly trivial to write code that can
                read the data from any of them and do something useful with it. The
                standards are designed to allow a content generation website to
                syndicate its headlines to other websites in a simple, and easy to
                create form. Inevitably, inventive people have thought of many other
                sources and uses.

                It's hard to tell how many websites publish an RSS file but estimates
                suggest there are now >4000 publically accessible rss feeds on the
                internet. Manila and most of the "Slash" codesets like Scoop,
                PHP-Nuke and Drupal generate rss by default. In addition, there are
                several efforts round the web to convert existing websites into an rss
                feed with or without the approval of the website owners. All this
                suggests that the actual figure may be much higher. On the commercial
                and semi-commercial side, Moreover, 10.am and others are collecting
                headline data from mostly commercial sites, categorizing it and then re-
                publishing it as rss, among other formats.

                5. But above all, rss is really simple, simon. I bet if you stripped the
                descriptions to the bone, you could fit all the variants on a single
                sheet of A4. Even a pretty poor programmer, such as myself, can extract
                the data from rss with a few string functions and generate it with a few
                more.

                This is it's greatest strength.

                So what to do?

                Well, if you manage a website, generate an rss file. Pick a format and
                just do it, by hand if you have to. My preference would be for 0.92 but
                if you prefer rdf, use 1.0. I don't care. And then make sure it's
                obvious on your site where it is.

                For my uses, I keep wanting to pick up rss from sites that don't
                currently produce it. So I hassle the webmaster. It doesn't always work,
                but sometimes it does. I suggest you do the same.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 12, 2001
                  Right on Julian. I'm glad you had the courage to hit the Send key.

                  My main question, beyond what you've covered here, is how to evolve.

                  Based on other uses of version numbering in software, one would reasonably
                  conclude that 1.0 came after 0.92, but that's not true. And what of future
                  versions? And what if RSS starts getting press? Or would it already *be*
                  getting press if it were not for the confusion?

                  Perhaps you have some ideas about this as well.

                  Dave