Re: RSS 0.92 Spec

  • Mike Krus
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 12, 2001
      Hi,

      --- In syndication@y..., "Dave Winer" <dave@u...> wrote:
      > In some kind of ideal world every weblog item would contain a
      > title, a link and a description, but you rarely see that, because
      > HTML is the dominant format and it allows every word to be a link,
      > and this is something most weblog authors take advantage of.
      I agree. As you may or may not know, I run a news portal site at
      http://www.newsisfree.com/ so I spend most of my evenings (this is
      not my main job) writing software which parses syndicated news feeds
      and renders them.

      > My first attempt to deal with this, in an imperfect way, was in
      > <scriptingNews> format in late 1997 and still in use today. Here's
      > an example of my own weblog as viewed through this format:
      >
      > http://scriptingnews.userland.com/xml/scriptingNews2.xml
      yeah, I read that every day:
      http://www.newsisfree.com/newsinfo.php3?source=336

      > This approach is imperfect, because it sometimes matches the wrong
      > text with the link when it's put back together on the aggregator.
      > But you do get the text separated from the links, but what do you
      > gain from that? Hard to tell.
      > A simple parser on the aggregator side could do the same thing
      > with the source text.
      >
      > RSS 0.90 and 0.91 happened to quickly to even begin to address
      > this concern and weblogs were still pretty new then.
      yes, I guess this all makes sense. "usual" news feeds will have one
      link and one text item. Rich ones will have several links. Maybe it
      would be a good idea to limit the use of HTML to the <a> tag and
      discourage the use of HTML formating in the RSS feeds...

      Mike Krus