Re: [syndication] More Ratings stuff

  • Julian Bond
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2001
      In article <000d01c0913e$75ad85c0$070d0dc0@monster>, Jeff Barr
      <jeff@...> writes
      >To me, the biggest question is architectural. Where in "the cloud" do
      >the ratings accumulate? From the point of view of a client, I need
      >to know where to send a rating, and where to get one. It seems that
      >we do not want to have a central site. However, I do not see a way
      >around this without some sort of multicast model.

      Run the scenario.

      Let's say I run a News/Rating Aggregator, "Julian's Geek News Picks". I
      pick up the 200 or so key RSS syndicators in the geek field, once an
      hour. I'll categorize the output and present a combo Hot News page. Each
      item has a 0-9 Rating combo and button next to them. My editorial team,
      along with all my users, just love going "0"-click against anything that
      mentions Larry and 9-Click for anything about XML-RPC or the Grateful
      Dead. This gets fed back into the system so that my top 10 "MUST READ"
      page is XML-RPC stories interspersed every so often with an article from
      John Perry Barlow, and there's never any mention of Oracle.

      On the hour, I publish an RSS1.1 file for the top 100 rated stories with
      their current average rating. Current top of the heap is a Scripting
      News Daily at 8.91 (from 2001 rating hits) that manages to mention XML-
      RPC, Blues for Allah and Mr Barlow all in one story.

      Meanwhile, SlashGeek.biz, my arch rival, has been doing the same thing
      but on a slightly different mix of RSS feeds and stories. Their rating
      for Dave's page was only 6.2 (150 hits) because they're Metallica fans.
      They give my ratings a bias because they know what we're like. The link
      ends up on their site with a rating of 7.5 (number 7 in their Top 25
      list) after applying their own arcane formulae.

      SlashGeek.Biz has been buying lunch for journalists and they're "Rock
      the SOMA" event got them a write up in Wired, so they're right up there
      in the spotlight. The magazine "Reality 2.0" routinely runs the top 10
      from SlashGeek's RSS feed on the magazine's home page. Unfortunately,
      Reality2's readers think XML is doomed because there are "500 versions
      of it" and they think "The Dead" is a song by Moby. Nobody clicks on
      Dave's page and if they do, they give it a 2.

      Reality2's RSS1.1 feed is a staple of Moreover. Amazingly, the only
      stories rated by them, are their own and they all get a 9. This has
      happened so much that nobody trusts Moreover's aggregated ratings any
      more.

      Enough pyrotechnics. To answer your question "Where do I send a rating?"
      the answer is wherever you got the story from. Or perhaps anywhere that
      will accept it. Within the context of the list it will make complete
      sense. The ratings don't necessarily accumulate anywhere except via
      emergent behaviour.

      And who can guess where that will lead.

      --
      Julian Bond mail:julian@...