1479RE: [syndication] Evangelizing RSS

  • Jeff Barr
    May 9, 2001
      Julian says,

      > ISTM that an RSS FAQ aimed at content providers, with a clear
      > explanation of why and how they should produce an RSS file would be a
      > *good thing*[1]. It ought to present a clear business case as well as
      > the developer detail. All the explanations I've seen so far are squarely
      > aimed at programmers and don't make any sort of business case.

      Definitely! I was thinking about evangelizing syndication last night while
      walking past the offices of "Deseret News" in Salt Lake City (I'm here for
      the day). We need a nice FAQ-like document, one that we control, which makes
      the business case first, and then proceeds to the details. This should be a
      one or two pager.

      The business case part should be pretty simple:

      Q: Why should I syndicate my site's headlines.

      A: Because an investment of just a few hours of development time will
      bring your site's headlines to the world in such a way that your
      site will get more traffic. There will be little, if any, continued
      investment.

      > [1]I know the response is "well write one then", but I'm a little busy
      > right now... Perhaps a group effort?

      We need a coordinator that can paste finished results into a master
      document (it should be a single document for easy printing). And we
      need an outline. The rest is easy. I'm in the "little busy" boat with
      Julian. I can contribute, but I cannot coordinate right now.

      Jeff;