Is there RSS - Local CitySearch content ?

  • tomisspeaking
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
      Is there CitySearch local content I can pull on RSS to a local site by zip?

      Tom
    • Christophe Tayon
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
        The destination is in the title, you can use the title to actually filter the nodes.
        If you want I can send you the javascript that parses the title string to extract the destination.
         I am also working
        on  a more complete feed that will have more details like departure date, return date, origin, destination...
         I have a lot more data by point of origin.

        Is there CitySearch local content I can pull on RSS to a local site by zip?

        Tom

      • nikableu
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
          I just google 'rss feed - zip or city'; if a site is using feeds there you go-

          --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "tomisspeaking" <tomisspeaking@...> wrote:

          > Is there CitySearch local content I can pull on RSS to a local site by zip?
          >
          > Tom

        • Stuart Whitmore
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
            It looks like the RSS feeds from CitySearch (which fail RSS
            validation, btw) are based on names of regions rather than ZIP Code
            -- but, you can search by ZIP Code on the site to find a name of a
            region, and the RSS feeds for it.

            For example, when I used the search form at the top of the site and
            left the "What are you looking for?" field blank and put 98225 as the
            ZIP, that field showed "Bellingham, WA Metro" -- and by scrolling to
            the bottom of the page, I found a link to a page with three different
            RSS feeds for the Bellingham area, such as:
            http://national.citysearch.com/rss/reviews.xml?region=bellingham-wa-metro
            (note the region name at the end)

            Hope this helps,

            --
            Stuart Whitmore
            snakestu@...

            Check out my books: http://www.just-stuart.com/bookshelf

            On 04/08/2011 08:40 AM, tomisspeaking wrote:
            > Is there CitySearch local content I can pull on RSS to a local site by zip?
            >
            > Tom

          • M Metzger
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8, 2011
              If you are coding a solution, you can get a zipcode database and use it to
              find the city names from zips and so on. You can also geo search zip code
              data to find cities within a certain proximity.

              If this is an option for you, let me know and I will dig up some distance
              queries and so on.

              --
              - <http://cognimotion.com>- <http://digitalworldnews.com>