Re: [syndic8] confused

  • Stuart Whitmore
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 28 2:34 AM
      The feed URL is the address of the XML data (RSS or Atom). The site
      URL is the address of the HTML content. For example:

      http://www.example.com/ would be a site URL.
      http://www.example.com/newsfeed.rss would be a feed URL.

      In your case:
      http://mplsexpression.typepad.com/ is the site URL
      http://www.minneapolisexpression.com/ is apparently an alternative
      site URL, which redirects to the above address
      http://mplsexpression.typepad.com/weblog/atom.xml is the feed URL

      "Syndicated" within the scope of Syndic8.com means a feed has been
      checked by a human reviewer to determine that it meets a high level of
      technical correctness -- that is, it's been determined to be a feed
      that should work with properly-functioning feed readers or other
      feed-reading technologies. In your case, the feed would not pass that
      test in its current state, because it fails validation with the
      following error: XML parsing error: <unknown>:25:42: unbound prefix

      When I first looked, feed ID 559637 was assigned to your site (not
      your feed), in the "desiring syndication" state. The general meaning
      of this is that somebody (in this case you) identified the site as one
      that does not have an XML feed but would be a good site to have one.
      I have updated the record to include the feed address and set it to
      Polling. What this will do is have Syndic8.com poll your feed, which
      is the first step toward eventually having a human reviewer check the
      feed for technical correctness. If polling succeeds at a very basic
      technical level, then the feed will go into "awaiting approval"
      status, which is where it waits in a (very large and
      randomly-accessed) on-hold queue for a volunteer human reviewer.

      My recommendation to you would be to check your feed address here:
      http://www.feedvalidator.org/
      This is a great tool for fixing broken feeds. If it's not fixed
      before a human reviewer checks it, it will be marked as needing
      repair. No sense going that route if you can fix it first (besides,
      publishing a dysfunctional feed is arguably pointless).

      Hope this helps,

      --
      Stuart Whitmore (snakestu@...)
      http://www.just-stuart.com/