Measurable traffic

  • Joseph Dobransky
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 30, 2006
      Has anyone had any real hard stats on how much traffic is generated from the
      "directory"? I'm showing 3 this month.

      ************************************
      * Joseph Dobransky
      * Webhosting Administrator
      * http://www.nightowlswebspace.com <http://www.nightowlswebspace.com/>
      ************************************
      * AIM: CrankyCronos
      * Yahoo: skeeter1jd
      * MSN: skeeter1jd@...
      * ICQ: 21228143
    • Tony Lawrence
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
        If by "this month", you mean November, then you probably got a fair
        amount of traffic..

        In general, no, syndic8 doesn't rank as a large referrer of traffic.

        --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph Dobransky" <nightowl@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone had any real hard stats on how much traffic is generated
        from the
        > "directory"? I'm showing 3 this month.
        >
        > ************************************
        > * Joseph Dobransky
        > * Webhosting Administrator
        > * http://www.nightowlswebspace.com <http://www.nightowlswebspace.com/>
        > ************************************
        > * AIM: CrankyCronos
        > * Yahoo: skeeter1jd
        > * MSN: skeeter1jd@...
        > * ICQ: 21228143

      • Neala
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
          It seems that syndicating content is every bit as tricky as getting picked up by search engines -- if one is self-syndicating, does anyone have suggestions they'd like to share?

          Thanks!

          Neala

          --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com<mailto:syndic8@yahoogroups.com>, "Joseph Dobransky" <nightowl@...> wrote:

          > Has anyone had any real hard stats on how much traffic is generated
          from the
          > "directory"? I'm showing 3 this month.
          >
          > ************************************
          > * Joseph Dobransky
          > * Webhosting Administrator
          > * http://www.nightowlswebspace.com<http://www.nightowlswebspace.com/> <http://www.nightowlswebspace.com/<http://www.nightowlswebspace.com/>>
          > ************************************
          > * AIM: CrankyCronos
          > * Yahoo: skeeter1jd
          > * MSN: skeeter1jd@...
          > * ICQ: 21228143

          If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
          syndic8-nomail@yahoogroups.com<mailto:syndic8-nomail@yahoogroups.com>
          (this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

          To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE:
          (here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

          To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/<http://www.syndic8.com/>
          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tony Lawrence
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
            --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Neala" <neala@...> wrote:

            > It seems that syndicating content is every bit as tricky as getting
            picked up by search engines -- if one is self-syndicating, does anyone
            have suggestions they'd like to share?

            For what? Traffic?

            Content. Content. Content.
            Period. Period. Period.

            Tony Lawrence
            http://aplawrence.com/Web

            > Thanks!
            >
            > Neala

          • Neala
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 1, 2006
              Actually I was thinking more about submitting it and format -- I've got the content part down cold

              http://aplawrence.com/Web<http://aplawrence.com/Web>

              http://www.syndic8.com/<http://www.syndic8.com/<http://www.syndic8.com/<http://www.syndic8.com/>>
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              If you're getting "too much mail" then send a message to:
              syndic8-nomail@yahoogroups.com<mailto:syndic8-nomail@yahoogroups.com>
              (this will tell it to stop sending you mail)

              To change your membership use THIS WEB PAGE:
              (here you can set your mail to digest, no mail or LEAVE the list)

              To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com/<http://www.syndic8.com/>
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ian Cox
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2006
                Hi, Neala

                Believe it or not, there are websites that will rank your contents! I tried one on my website (fine arts) and was surprised when Michelangelo came top of my contents list.

                There are websites that will check your code, test your links, check the safety of your links (i.e. check for links to links that spammers use), tell you how many sites are linking to your site, rank your site (mine is a humble 4) and so on. There are also sites that will submit your site to 50 search engines. It's all out there.

                But the best I've found is Google. Join Google and you get access to a lorryload of helpful tips. If you join AdSense, you also receive a Google newsletter that gives you tips for improving the profile of your site. One of the problems I had was getting my graphics onto the web. I couldn't find how to do this. What tips I found didn't work. Then I followed a Google AdSense link to its help page on robots.txt files. Bingo! Within a week all my thumbnails turned up on a Google graphics search for "Coxsoft". After a year of nothing!

                Getting the robots.txt file right is absolutely essential. Setting up a site map (another text file that lists all your internal links) is straightforward with Google AdSense. It walks you through it.

                Blogging does a lot of this for you, but not everything. If you're site is a stand-alone you've designed yourself, you need help. Try Google. For Bloggers, FeedBurner and Technorati are both extremely useful.

                Good luck

                Ian

                Your e-mail may reach me sooner if you send it via my website, which gets checked daily: http://homepages.tesco.net/ian.cox99/index.htm