How Do I Edit My Feed Info?

  • benn_black
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
      I created a RSS feed about 12 months ago. I need to edit the site url
      and description. I don't remember my log-in details or if registration
      was necessary to submit feeds at the time.
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2006
        --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "benn_black" <benn_black@y...> wrote:

        > I created a RSS feed about 12 months ago. I need to edit the site url
        > and description. I don't remember my log-in details or if registration
        > was necessary to submit feeds at the time.

        What's the feed number? Or what's the feed URL?

        That data's manually 'reloaded' by the poller, no human text entry is
        necessary. The poller doesn't automatically update them, mainly to
        avoid foolishness with search engine gaming.

        So let us know which feed and we'll get it's record reloaded.

        -Bill Kearney
      • benn_black
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney@s...> wrote:

          > --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "benn_black" <benn_black@y...>
          wrote:

          > > I created a RSS feed about 12 months ago. I need to edit the site
          url
          > > and description. I don't remember my log-in details or if
          registration
          > > was necessary to submit feeds at the time.
          >
          > What's the feed number? Or what's the feed URL?
          >
          > That data's manually 'reloaded' by the poller, no human text entry
          is
          > necessary. The poller doesn't automatically update them, mainly to
          > avoid foolishness with search engine gaming.
          >
          > So let us know which feed and we'll get it's record reloaded.
          >
          > -Bill Kearney

          Hi Bill

          The Feed ID is :

          271198

          This site url is listed as :

          http://soccer-europe.com/Archives/News/2005/January.html

          It should be :

          http://soccer-europe.com

          And the description needs changing from :

          Soccer News

          To :

          Independent match reports, goals & assists, live scores, World news &
          more.

          Thanks.
        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            > The Feed ID is :
            > 271198
            > This site url is listed as :
            > http://soccer-europe.com/Archives/News/2005/January.html
            > It should be :
            > http://soccer-europe.com
            > And the description needs changing from :
            > Soccer News
            > To :
            > Independent match reports, goals & assists, live scores, World news &
            > more.

            Done.

            There's no need to tell us what the new data is. If the feed contains the
            right stuff we reload from there. We never manually edit the text. I
            suppose it is helpful to see it listed in the requests, but it's not
            necessary.
          • benn_black
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney@s...> wrote:

              > > The Feed ID is :
              > > 271198
              > > This site url is listed as :
              > > http://soccer-europe.com/Archives/News/2005/January.html
              > > It should be :
              > > http://soccer-europe.com
              > > And the description needs changing from :
              > > Soccer News
              > > To :
              > > Independent match reports, goals & assists, live scores, World
              news &
              > > more.
              >
              > Done.
              >
              > There's no need to tell us what the new data is. If the feed
              contains the
              > right stuff we reload from there. We never manually edit the
              text. I
              > suppose it is helpful to see it listed in the requests, but it's not
              > necessary.

              We're almost there but you've still got the site url wrong. It should
              be :

              http://soccer-europe.com

              Not :

              http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml
            • Bill Kearney
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
                > > > The Feed ID is :
                > > > 271198
                > We're almost there but you've still got the site url wrong. It should
                > be :
                >
                > http://soccer-europe.com
                > Not :
                > http://soccer-europe.com/RSS/News.xml

                The database bases it's listing on what's in the feed at the time it's
                updated. When I updated the feed that's what it found.

                And in just now checking the raw XML from that feed that's *exactly* what's
                in the <link> element. If you want something different then put it in the
                feed's link element and ask us to reload it again.

                This is perhaps a perfect example of why we don't EVER manually edit the
                listings. If the feed doesn't contain the desired (or correct) data then
                manually editing would only affect our listing. Anyone attempting to USE
                the feed would get what they'd think was incorrect data. Then we'd get
                stuck in a loop of finger pointing.

                We only list what the feed provides. The only wrinkle in the mix is we
                don't automagically update them, but updates can be done instantly by anyone
                who has an editor role. We keep it a manual, supervised process to help
                stave off the search engine gaming nitwits. It's worked reasonably well
                thus far.

                Fix the feed. You've got the wrong URL in the <link> element.

                Let us know when it's corrected.

                -Bill Kearney
                Syndic8.com
              • benn_black
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Kearney" <wkearney@s...> wrote:

                  > This is perhaps a perfect example of why we don't EVER manually
                  > edit the listings. If the feed doesn't contain the desired (or
                  > correct) data then manually editing would only affect our listing.
                  > Anyone attempting to USE the feed would get what they'd think was
                  > incorrect data. Then we'd get stuck in a loop of finger pointing.
                  >
                  > We only list what the feed provides. The only wrinkle in the mix
                  > is we don't automagically update them, but updates can be done
                  > instantly by anyone who has an editor role. We keep it a manual,
                  > supervised process to help stave off the search engine gaming
                  > nitwits. It's worked reasonably well thus far.
                  >
                  > Fix the feed. You've got the wrong URL in the <link> element.
                  >
                  > Let us know when it's corrected.
                  >
                  > -Bill Kearney
                  > Syndic8.com

                  Thanks Bill

                  I've changed the link element as you suggested.