Bad Behavior

  • Kelson Vibber
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
      Just a heads-up.

      I upgraded a spambot-blocking plugin for WordPress called Bad Behavior
      yesterday, and it's now blocking Syndic8. I assume it's related to the
      upgrade, though it could be a coincidence if Syndic8's bot changed around the
      same time.

      Bad Behavior works by targetting the following:
      1. Known spambots
      2. Mismatches between headers (i.e. the UA claims to be MSIE, but the agent
      doesn't send all the headers that IE does.)
      3. HTTP Protocol violations, which seems to be where Syndic8 is getting caught

      http://www.ioerror.us/software/bad-behavior/

      The log entry states: "Header 'Pragma' without 'Cache-Control' prohibited for
      HTTP/1.1 requests"

      For now I've whitelisted the IP address, but I thought you might want to know
      so you can either fix the headers (if this is a valid problem) or contact the
      plugin author to get Syndic8 recognized explicitly.

      --
      Kelson Vibber
      www.hyperborea.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
        Bad Behavior blocks everything !

        You need to be careful how you use it otehrwise genuine posters would
        be blocked as well!

        Larry

        --
        London Networking EXPO™ - "The Ultimate Business Networking
        Experience™ in Europe!
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 8, 2005
          Larry wrote:
          > Bad Behavior blocks everything !

          Um... no it doesn't.

          > You need to be careful how you use it otehrwise genuine posters would
          > be blocked as well!

          I have plenty of comments that get past Bad Behavior without whitelisting.

          Where'd you get your information?