Re: Update feed id 25659 to 33486

  • Jana D
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 7, 2003
      --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "controlcard" <controlcard@y...>
      wrote:
      > Please update feed id 25659 to now point to 33486. Thanks!

      Hello, I'm new to this group, and i'm not sure if this is something
      that i need to do since I just downloaded this RSS. Please let me
      know, and if i do need to make this update, how do i go about doing
      this? My newsfeed program is: Blogexpress

      Thank you

      Jana D
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 8, 2003
        We've got a small group of editors that have the ability to edit feeds. They
        have to manually edit the feed to set the old feed into 'redirected' state and
        input the target number of the new feed ID.

        Setting someone up as an editor's a discretionary thing. Do a bunch of
        reviewing and come across as someone that's really grasps XML and RSS and is
        going to be reasonable in handling the edits and we flip the switch on the user
        account. We're more than happy to add new editors as participation warrants.

        We track both the old and the new feeds to let programs that only know the
        original URL to find where the new one has gone. So doing this would be a
        matter of editing feed 25659 and setting it as 'redirected' and putting '33486'
        in the referenced feed ID.

        -Bill Kearney

        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 8, 2003
          Bill,

          Something you might want to consider is a "certification" for editors.
          Nothing formal, but something valuable. Get candidate editors to go through
          a review of principles, answer questions right, and get a score. If the
          score is high enough, you've got a new editor and the bit can be set on the
          account to get them going.

          Just a thought.
          Paul Ward
          BETTER CHANGE - http://pkward.com

          pkward.com manufactures MERLE,
          the member and customer relationship engine.

          paul@... | pkward@...

          This e-mail and any files transmitted are intended only for the use of the
          individual or entity to whom they are addressed, and may contain information
          that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
          law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
          any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of any of the information is
          PROHIBITED.

          > From: "Bill Kearney" <ml_yahoo@...>
          > Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:03:37 -0400
          > To: <syndic8@yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [syndic8] Update feed id 25659 to 33486
          >
          > We've got a small group of editors that have the ability to edit feeds. They
          > have to manually edit the feed to set the old feed into 'redirected' state and
          > input the target number of the new feed ID.
          >
          > Setting someone up as an editor's a discretionary thing. Do a bunch of
          > reviewing and come across as someone that's really grasps XML and RSS and is
          > going to be reasonable in handling the edits and we flip the switch on the
          > user
          > account. We're more than happy to add new editors as participation warrants.
          >
          > We track both the old and the new feeds to let programs that only know the
          > original URL to find where the new one has gone. So doing this would be a
          > matter of editing feed 25659 and setting it as 'redirected' and putting
          > '33486'
          > in the referenced feed ID.
          >
          > -Bill Kearney

        • Fred Smith
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 8, 2003
            HI Jana,

            I'm also new at this. May be if we investigate together we will come up with the answers.
            I'm sorry I'm just as green as you.
            We'll get the hang of it soon.

            Mary :-)

            wrote:
            > Please update feed id 25659 to now point to 33486. Thanks!

            Hello, I'm new to this group, and i'm not sure if this is something
            that i need to do since I just downloaded this RSS. Please let me
            know, and if i do need to make this update, how do i go about doing
            this? My newsfeed program is: Blogexpress

            Thank you

            Jana D

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com

          • Jeff Barr
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 9, 2003
              Hi Jana,

              > Hello, I'm new to this group, and i'm not sure if this is something
              > that i need to do since I just downloaded this RSS.

              No, you shouldn't need to do anything like this.

              If you are running a news aggregator, as indicated in your
              lots and lots (over 16,000 at last count) of great feeds.

              The site has been in existence for just about two years.

              There are several "levels" of Syndic8 usage:

              1 - At the first level, you use it to find feeds. You don't need
              to be a member to do this, but we like members and you
              are welcome to use it in this way. You can use the various
              boxes on the front page, along with the feed list page
              and the category page, to find feeds.

              2 - At the second level, you can use it to find feeds and to
              keep track of them using our subscription mechanism.
              Once you are logged in, you will see "Subscribe" buttons
              next to feeds and to categories. Your subscriptions go
              into a Syndic8 storage area known as a personal list.
              You get one list by default, and you can create as many
              more as you would like. You can then import these
              lists into any aggregator which supports OPML, OCS,
              or RSS. Eventually, we hope to see that aggregators
              and blogging tools will use this personal list mechanism
              to store user subscriptions. That would simplify the
              process of using the same aggregator from more
              than one place, or using different aggregators for
              different purposes.

              These first two levels are "user" levels - the users get
              information from the site, but don't change the site. That's
              fine, and we love our users.

              The next step us is to become a contributor. To me, the
              great success of Syndic8 is the fact that so many
              generous and talented people have donated their
              time, energy, and brainpower into helping out with it.

              3 - The third level is to actively start looking for and
              submitting feeds to Syndic8. There are all sorts of
              ways to do this. I have a bunch of magic programs
              which look in all sorts of places (Google, blog.gs,
              and weblogs.com, to name a few), watch the discovered
              feeds for changes, and then finally put them in a
              place where I can plug them in to the Suggest
              window.

              Once feeds are "in the system", the Syndic8 poller
              makes a couple of visits to them each and every day.
              Right now, a 12-process parallel "spider" reaches
              out to every one of the non-Dead feeds in the database,
              downloading the latest content, checking for errors,
              measuring response times, and storing the results
              in both raw (XML) form and as processed headlines.
              You can see all of this information on the feed info
              pages for each feed.

              Newly entered feeds are in a special state known
              as "Polling". In this stage, we are trying to see if
              the feed produces good content. Content that is
              technically well formed, and content that seems to
              change a couple of times (to make sure that it is
              not an abandoned or "test" feed or blog).

              Once the poller sees sufficient signs of life, then
              the feeds are in the state known as "Awaiting
              Approval."

              At level 4, certain site users have volunteered to be
              Reviewers. The Reviewers see a list of feeds
              that are Awaiting Approval each time that they
              log in. They carefully verify that the feed meets
              all of our guidelines (only some of which are
              described as formally as they should be), and
              then they can either Approve the feed (where it
              becomes Syndicated and available for general
              use) or they can mark it as "Awaiting Repair."
              If they do this, they also contact the owner of
              the feed and communicate the information needed
              to repair the feed. The Review can also Reject
              the feed if it is inappropriate (we've not defined
              what that means, either).

              (This is turning into a book. I've needed to write
              all of this down for a while, anyway)

              At the next level, a few of the Reviewers have
              been given special magic power as Editors. Editors
              have even more access to the Syndic8 data. They
              can do things like "Reset" a feed to capture changes
              in the feed's title or other metadata. They can adjust
              the data to "point" one feed to another if a feed
              gets a new home.

              Finally, developers can use Syndic8's XML-RPC
              interface to construct other applications which
              make use of the site's data. I don't have a full
              list of these. I know for a fact that the NewsGator
              does this. I should compile a full list some day. The
              XML-RPC interface is typically extended in response
              to requests from developers.

              I should point out that Syndic8 owes its very existence
              to our great team of volunteers. Its really exciting to work
              with people from around the world on a friendly and
              cooperative basis. I personally get up at 5 AM every
              day and spend at least an hour every morning keeping
              things running and building new features. There's no
              big corporation behind all of this, just a bunch of people
              working together to build something good.

              So, there you have it. That's the Syndic8 model in a nutshell!

              Whew!

              Jeff;

              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/messages
              > To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
              http://www.syndic8.com

            • dror
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 9, 2003
                --- In syndic8@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Barr" <jeff@v...> wrote:
                > Hi Jana,
                >
                > > Hello, I'm new to this group, and i'm not sure if this is
                something
                > > that i need to do since I just downloaded this RSS.
                >
                > No, you shouldn't need to do anything like this.

                Jeff,

                A question about choosing channels.
                As you indicate Syndic8 has 16000 channels in its database. There must
                be hundreds of thousands or more blogs out there that have rss feeds,
                that could be added to the db. How do the reviewers decide to add or
                not add these?

                Regards,

                Dror
              • Bill Kearney
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 9, 2003
                  > A question about choosing channels.
                  > As you indicate Syndic8 has 16000 channels in its database. There must
                  > be hundreds of thousands or more blogs out there that have rss feeds,
                  > that could be added to the db. How do the reviewers decide to add or
                  > not add these?

                  The idea is that if a syndic8 reader finds a feed useful and thinks other would
                  then they ought to submit it. We don't deliberately scrape and spider sites
                  looking for feeds. Mainly because it would end up pulling in what could
                  arguably be considered a lot of junk. Realizing, of course, one person's junk
                  is another's treasure. So we leave it to the members here to submit things they
                  actually use.

                  If you read a feed then submit it. We try to avoid having people submit stuff
                  in bulk unless they really do read them. That and bulk submissions make for a
                  very lengthy reviewing process.

                  Yes, we could cast a spider out to search far and wide for feeds. Past
                  experiments in doing this, however, usually ended up with adding a lot of feeds
                  that nobody would use.

                  -Bill Kearney
                • Jeff Barr
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                    As Bill noted earlier, this is at the discretion of the contributors to
                    the site. We don't aim to list every possible feed, we just want
                    the ones that people are actually finding to be of value. That's
                    why even unregistered users can submit feeds. We wanted
                    the barrier to submission to be as low as possible.

                    Jeff;

                    > > > Hello, I'm new to this group, and i'm not sure if this is
                    > something
                    > > > that i need to do since I just downloaded this RSS.
                    > >
                    > > No, you shouldn't need to do anything like this.

                    > Jeff,
                    >
                    > A question about choosing channels.
                    > As you indicate Syndic8 has 16000 channels in its database. There must
                    > be hundreds of thousands or more blogs out there that have rss feeds,
                    > that could be added to the db. How do the reviewers decide to add or
                    > not add these?
                    >
                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Dror
                    >

                    > >From the Syndic8 mailing list
                    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8/messages
                    > To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
                    http://www.syndic8.com

                  • Bill Kearney
                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                      > As Bill noted earlier, this is at the discretion of the contributors to
                      > the site. We don't aim to list every possible feed, we just want
                      > the ones that people are actually finding to be of value. That's
                      > why even unregistered users can submit feeds. We wanted
                      > the barrier to submission to be as low as possible.

                      To shed a little light further on this, we don't spider or put emphasis on bulk
                      or automatic detection. Mainly because when it's been tried we ended up with a
                      ton of junk feeds. The percentage of feeds that actually kept themselves
                      updated versus the 'hey I've just started' or 'testing, 1... 2... 3...' types
                      was way out of balance.

                      Then there's been the case of a site running a bulk aggregator but not keeping
                      it running. Good intentions aside sometimes these sites create a ton of stuff
                      that didn't validate or didn't stay running for very long. What we ended up
                      with was hundreds of feeds that wouldn't validate and then didn't update
                      themselves long enough for our reviewers to be able to tell what was going on.

                      As a result we've taken the informal position of 'waiting' until someone that
                      knows enough about the feed and knows about Syndic8 to take the initiative and
                      submit it. That, as Jeff notes, is something anyone can do, even without being
                      a member of the site. This has, thus far, worked without any significant
                      hassles.

                      Yeah, it's *extremely* tempting to just want to run out and spider the bejesus
                      out of the internet looking for feeds. Thus far we've not seen that to result
                      in any signficant quantities of stuff that people seem to want to read. This
                      isn't saying those sites aren't worthwhile, they doubltlessly have their
                      audience and we're not here to get overly judgemental on them. It's just saying
                      that they're not 'hitting the radar' of people that understand newsfeeds and
                      want to share awareness of it.

                      As the old George Carlin joke goes, "you can't have everything... where would
                      you put it?"

                      Let me offer one other angle on this: unwanted or unexpected attention. There
                      are services like LiveJournal that have absolutely huge user bases. Their sites
                      can usually create RSS feeds. But when users of that particular service have
                      'noticed' that unexpected audiences developed from RSS they had negative
                      reactions.

                      Yep, the authors of the sites didn't know about RSS and, frankly, feared that it
                      was somehow putting their content at some sort of risk. Either from wanting to
                      hide in plain site or notions about 'controlling their audience'.

                      Thus we've generally avoided any sort of spidering in to massive user sites
                      because of that sort of hysteria factor. Yeah, they're pretty foolish to think
                      they can 'hide in plain site' on the Internet, but who are we to get dragged
                      down into some crazy-ass flame war because they're being sort of unrealistic
                      about it? Better to let them go unnoticed until they develop their own comfort
                      level with things like RSS. Otherwise we'd end up making RSS and ourselves
                      look bad and all while just trying to be informative. It'd be a PR nightmare.

                      So, in summary, taking the 'wait until savvy users submit them' approach has
                      ended up being a really useful way to handle the process.

                      -Bill Kearney
                    • Bill Kearney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
> [...]

                        was somehow putting their content at some sort of risk. Either from wanting to
                        hide in plain site or notions about 'controlling their audience'.

                        Thus we've generally avoided any sort of spidering in to massive user sites
                        because of that sort of hysteria factor. Yeah, they're pretty foolish to think
                        they can 'hide in plain site' on the Internet, but who are we to get dragged
                        down into some crazy-ass flame war because they're being sort of unrealistic
                        about it? Better to let them go unnoticed until they develop their own comfort
                        level with things like RSS. Otherwise we'd end up making RSS and ourselves
                        look bad and all while just trying to be informative. It'd be a PR nightmare.

                        So, in summary, taking the 'wait until savvy users submit them' approach has
                        ended up being a really useful way to handle the process.

                      • controlcard
                        Message 11 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                          Thanks, Bill!

                          Message 12 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                            Bill and Jeff,

                            Thank you for the lengthy response. It's quite helpful/useful. We're
                            setting up an online news aggregator and it's helpful to better
                            understand the landscape. I new that Syndic8 was going after channel
                            quality but didn't quite understand the criteria. Now I understand it
                            better.

                            As far as the livejournal users go, it seems like the right solution
                            would be to turn off the rss feed if they don't want people to be able
                            to track their blog. I wonder if lifejournal offers this option.

                            Once our service is up and running, we'll be happy to add ourselves to
                            the list of sponsors to show our appreciation for running this great
                            service.

                            Regards,

                            Dror

                          • Bill Kearney
                            Message 13 of 18 , Sep 10, 2003
                              > Thank you for the lengthy response. It's quite helpful/useful. We're
                              > setting up an online news aggregator and it's helpful to better
                              > understand the landscape. I new that Syndic8 was going after channel
                              > quality but didn't quite understand the criteria. Now I understand
                              > it better.

                              Yeah, we don't really go after "quality of content" as that's a whole
                              other can of worms. I suppose we sort of go after "quality of
                              readership". So far we've found it better (and that's being
                              subjective) to wait until learned members of our audience bring us
                              interesting stuff. We welcome all feeds. We only get picky over the
                              technical details. Most importantly, we don't get into making value
                              judgements on their editorial value. A feed might be garbage to one
                              person while being a treasure to another. We don't have the time and
                              resources to get into THAT whole mess. I suppose we've been lucky so
                              far.

                              > As far as the livejournal users go, it seems like the right solution
                              > would be to turn off the rss feed if they don't want people to be
                              able
                              > to track their blog. I wonder if lifejournal offers this option.

                              While on one level that'd be a good idea, it doesn't help get more
                              content being output as RSS. It's better to have the data
                              automatically setup as being available as RSS. If it were turned off
                              we'd probably find it next to impossible to get them to understand
                              about why it'd be good to enable it. So instead it's sort of better
                              to try to 'walk carefully' through the available feeds and only make
                              use of ones that are known to have readers. That is, wait until
                              those readers come to us and suggest the feeds.

                              > Once our service is up and running, we'll be happy to add ourselves
                              > the list of sponsors to show our appreciation for running this great
                              > service.

                              Thanks, we try.

                              -Bill Kearney
                              Syndic8.com
                            • Bill Kearney
                              Message 14 of 18 , Sep 24, 2003
                                > Something you might want to consider is a "certification" for editors.
                                > Nothing formal, but something valuable. Get candidate editors to go through
                                > a review of principles, answer questions right, and get a score. If the
                                > score is high enough, you've got a new editor and the bit can be set on the
                                > account to get them going.

                                I'm generally no fan of certifications. More to the point, setting up a scoring
                                system and managing it is certainly a non-trivial exercise.

                                So far we've followed the practice that as people do a lot of reviewing and ask
                                informed questions we invite them to participate as editors.

                                Thus far the process has worked out reasonably well. It's not like there's been
                                a great outcry from motivated individuals. One could argue both sides, of
                                course.

                                -Bill Kearney
                                Syndic8.com