RE: [syndic8] Attention Reviewers -- Plenty of feeds to review

  • da corq
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2003
      As a Neophyte reviewer I need to ask (and I've read the reviewers
      guidelines) - the check-boxes that seem to be available to the reviewer
      (pardon the poor text simulation) :

      Scraped: [] Scraped <--- does this refer to 2nd-party,
      voidstar.com-generated sites and the like, as opposed to MT-and the on-site
      generated rss?

      Metadata: [] Scraped From Site URL <--- do we scrutinize the actual
      generated xml code to discern this?
      Archivable: [] Archive Feed XML <--- the "help" bubble brings up a page
      here, but no further information or criteria as to what an "Achivable" feed
      is of what discerns it from any others for approval stutus etc or if that
      matters in final approvals? It wouldn't seem to in the Reviewer's
      Guidelines, thus far.

      I guess my chief question is, beyond the "Reviewers Guidelines" should we be
      trying to address those options on the review pages, or leave 'em alone? I'm
      eager to help out but I know I don't want to approve non-standard feeds, or
      over-scrutinize well-formed feeds if it's slowing the approval of an
      otherwise good feed.

      My apologies if this has been asked before - if there are additional FAQ's I
      should be reading up on, etc.

      Thanks -- Lori Easterly

      Message 2 of 7 , May 14, 2003
        > As a Neophyte reviewer I need to ask (and I've read the reviewers
        > guidelines) - the check-boxes that seem to be available to the reviewer
        > (pardon the poor text simulation) :
        >
        > Scraped: [] Scraped <--- does this refer to 2nd-party,
        > voidstar.com-generated sites and the like, as opposed to MT-and the on-site
        > generated rss?

        Yes, that's for sites that don't have their own RSS and are using a scraping
        service.

        > Metadata: [] Scraped From Site URL <--- do we scrutinize the actual
        > generated xml code to discern this?

        It's usually something we 'wait' for the site owners to ask us to set. If you
        want to dig into the site URL's HTML and see if it's there you can check it.

        > Archivable: [] Archive Feed XML <--- the "help" bubble brings up a page
        > here, but no further information or criteria as to what an "Achivable" feed
        > is of what discerns it from any others for approval stutus etc or if that
        > matters in final approvals? It wouldn't seem to in the Reviewer's
        > Guidelines, thus far.

        Right, I run feeds.archive.org and it's going to (eventually) support archiving.
        You can largely ignore this for now.

        > I guess my chief question is, beyond the "Reviewers Guidelines" should we be
        > trying to address those options on the review pages, or leave 'em alone? I'm
        > eager to help out but I know I don't want to approve non-standard feeds, or
        > over-scrutinize well-formed feeds if it's slowing the approval of an
        > otherwise good feed.

        No, these are good questions.

        > My apologies if this has been asked before - if there are additional FAQ's I
        > should be reading up on, etc.

        And it looks like I should perhaps update the reviewer guidelines a bit...

        -Bill Kearney
      • da corq
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2003
          Much thanks for the clarifications!

          > As a Neophyte reviewer I need to ask (and I've read the reviewers
          > guidelines) - the check-boxes that seem to be available to the reviewer
          > (pardon the poor text simulation) :
          >
          > Scraped: [] Scraped <--- does this refer to 2nd-party,
          > voidstar.com-generated sites and the like, as opposed to MT-and the
          on-site
          > generated rss?

          Yes, that's for sites that don't have their own RSS and are using a scraping
          service.

          > Metadata: [] Scraped From Site URL <--- do we scrutinize the actual
          > generated xml code to discern this?

          It's usually something we 'wait' for the site owners to ask us to set. If
          you
          want to dig into the site URL's HTML and see if it's there you can check it.

          > Archivable: [] Archive Feed XML <--- the "help" bubble brings up a page
          > here, but no further information or criteria as to what an "Achivable"
          feed
          > is of what discerns it from any others for approval stutus etc or if that
          > matters in final approvals? It wouldn't seem to in the Reviewer's
          > Guidelines, thus far.

          Right, I run feeds.archive.org and it's going to (eventually) support
          archiving.
          You can largely ignore this for now.

          > I guess my chief question is, beyond the "Reviewers Guidelines" should we
          be
          > trying to address those options on the review pages, or leave 'em alone?
          I'm
          > eager to help out but I know I don't want to approve non-standard feeds,
          or
          > over-scrutinize well-formed feeds if it's slowing the approval of an
          > otherwise good feed.

          No, these are good questions.

          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2003
            Temporary I'm sure - but just as an alert -- got this when trying to login:
            at 9:43am EST

            Warning: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
            '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/syndic8/error.php on line 73

            Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can't connect to local MySQL server
            through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/syndic8/error.php on
            line 73

            Warning: MySQL: A link to the server could not be established in
            /home/syndic8/error.php on line 73

            Warning: MySQL: A link to the server could not be established in
            /home/syndic8/error.php on line 75
            Cannot connect to database.

            _____________________________________
            http://corqspy.org
            icq 6176320 ... yahoo id: corqspy
            _____________________________________

            > As a Neophyte reviewer I need to ask (and I've read the reviewers
            > guidelines) - the check-boxes that seem to be available to the reviewer
            > (pardon the poor text simulation) :
            >
            > Scraped: [] Scraped <--- does this refer to 2nd-party,
            > voidstar.com-generated sites and the like, as opposed to MT-and the
            on-site
            > generated rss?

            Yes, that's for sites that don't have their own RSS and are using a scraping
            service.

            > Metadata: [] Scraped From Site URL <--- do we scrutinize the actual
            > generated xml code to discern this?

            It's usually something we 'wait' for the site owners to ask us to set. If
            you
            want to dig into the site URL's HTML and see if it's there you can check it.

            > Archivable: [] Archive Feed XML <--- the "help" bubble brings up a page
            > here, but no further information or criteria as to what an "Achivable"
            feed
            > is of what discerns it from any others for approval stutus etc or if that
            > matters in final approvals? It wouldn't seem to in the Reviewer's
            > Guidelines, thus far.

            Right, I run feeds.archive.org and it's going to (eventually) support
            archiving.
            You can largely ignore this for now.

            > I guess my chief question is, beyond the "Reviewers Guidelines" should we
            be
            > trying to address those options on the review pages, or leave 'em alone?
            I'm
            > eager to help out but I know I don't want to approve non-standard feeds,
            or
            > over-scrutinize well-formed feeds if it's slowing the approval of an
            > otherwise good feed.

            No, these are good questions.

            > My apologies if this has been asked before - if there are additional FAQ's
            > should be reading up on, etc.

            And it looks like I should perhaps update the reviewer guidelines a bit...

            -Bill Kearney

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
            http://www.syndic8.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit
            http://www.syndic8.com

          • Wayne Brissette
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2003
              da corq corqlists@... on Thursday, May 15, 2003 stated:

              >> As a Neophyte reviewer I need to ask (and I've read the reviewers
              >> guidelines) - the check-boxes that seem to be available to the reviewer
              >> (pardon the poor text simulation) :
              >>
              >> Scraped: [] Scraped <--- does this refer to 2nd-party,
              >> voidstar.com-generated sites and the like, as opposed to MT-and the
              >on-site
              >> generated rss?
              >
              >Yes, that's for sites that don't have their own RSS and are using a scraping
              >service.
              >
              >> Metadata: [] Scraped From Site URL <--- do we scrutinize the actual
              >> generated xml code to discern this?
              >
              >It's usually something we 'wait' for the site owners to ask us to set. If
              >you
              >want to dig into the site URL's HTML and see if it's there you can check it.

              So I'm curious. Am I suppose to put in an XML tag somewhere that states
              how I generate my RSS feed? I submitted a public feed yesterday to
              Syndic8, but I don't have any tags that tell people (or reviewers) that I
              am generating this feed via a script I wrote. Should I?

              Wayne

              --
              All human rules are more or less idiotic.
              - Mark Twain

              Live DAT & Music Page: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/
              Wayne's Music Calendar: http://ical.mac.com/wayneb/Music
              PowerMail AppleScript Archives: http://homepage.mac.com/wayneb/powermail.html

              Music Currently playing:
            • Bill Kearney
              Message 6 of 7 , May 15, 2003
                > So I'm curious. Am I suppose to put in an XML tag somewhere that states
                > how I generate my RSS feed? I submitted a public feed yesterday to
                > Syndic8, but I don't have any tags that tell people (or reviewers) that I
                > am generating this feed via a script I wrote. Should I?

                The most common things to do are put a link element in the page header and then
                an [xml] button somewhere.

                Look at the HTML source of Syndic8's page for your feed. You'll notice we're
                emitting a link tag for it. You'll also see how we're presenting an [xml]
                button. Do something like these in your HTML pages and you're set.

                If you have a search interface it doesn't hurt to make sure there's a page that
                will return a page explaining your RSS offerings. As in search for 'RSS' and
                get back a "here's what we have in RSS and how to use it" page.

                -Bill Kearney