Metadata location (HTML or XML)

  • smoitozo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1 5:25 AM
      I have followed the instructions for the addition of the metadata to
      my site(s). At this point I have added the META data to the site
      HTML. Do I need to modify the actual XML feed by adding a HEAD
      element and the META elements or is simply adding the new META tags to
      the HTML on the site enough?

      The feeds for which I have done this are:
      24104
      24105
      24106
      24964
      27230
      27229

      Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did search the
      archives and could not find an answer.
    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1 6:02 AM
        If you're using RSS-1.0 you can mark up this information directly in it's XML.
        If you're stuck using 0.9x or pseudo-2.0 you will have a much more difficult
        time of it.

        Thus putting it into your HTML page, the one linked from the XML's channel
        <link> URL, is the safest bet. This way it's only 'taking up space' on the web
        page. A side effect of this is that it's also available to any search engines
        that understand how to read it. This is why I chose to do it this way.

        -Bill Kearney

        > I have followed the instructions for the addition of the metadata to
        > my site(s). At this point I have added the META data to the site
        > HTML. Do I need to modify the actual XML feed by adding a HEAD
        > element and the META elements or is simply adding the new META tags to
        > the HTML on the site enough?
        >
        > The feeds for which I have done this are:
        > 24104
        > 24105
        > 24106
        > 24964
        > 27230
        > 27229
        >
        > Please forgive me if this has been asked before. I did search the
        > archives and could not find an answer.

        > To find more info about Syndicated XML newsfeeds visit http://www.syndic8.com

      • smoitozo
        Message 3 of 3 , May 1 4:13 PM
          Thank you for clearing this up for me. I am using RSS 0.91 for now,
          so I'll stick with what I've done for now.

          Do I need to request that an editor check the metadata box for the
          feeds below or have I just done that?

          24104
          24105
          24106