Syndic8 is now tracking use of Creative Commons Licenses...

  • Jeff Barr
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2003
      Hi Everyone,

      I've been working on a project to start tracking the use of feed-level
      Creative Commons licenses in Syndic8. Here's what I have so far:

      1 - The Syndic8 poller recognizes the presence of the license tag
      on RSS 0.9, 1.0, and 2.0 feeds using the conventions established
      for each one:

      0.9 -
      http://lists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/cc-metadata/2002-August/000010.html
      1.0 - mod_cc
      2.0 - Userland's RSS module

      I hope I've done this right. If your feed has a license and its not
      reflected on
      the site, let me know.

      Note that I track feed-level licenses only. I don't care about licenses
      attached
      to individual items (I might in the future).

      2 - Each feed stores a "License ID" value. This can have any one of the
      following
      values:

      1 No license
      2 Unknown license
      3 Attribution, Noncommercial
      4 Attribution, Noncommercial, No Derivative Works
      5 Attribution, No Derivative Works
      6 Attribution, Share Alike
      7 Attribution
      8 No Derivative Works
      9 Share Alike
      12 Attribution, Noncommercial, Share Alike

      10 and 11 are open slots due to the way I set up the DB.

      3 - The license value is shown in the feed's info page, for example:

      http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=13653

      4 - You can use the query box at the bottom of the feed list page to select
      only feeds with a given type of license:

      http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowLicenseID=3

      5 - Stats on license usage are shown at the very bottom of the RSS tab of
      the stats
      page:

      http://www.syndic8.com/stats.php?Section=rss

      The license for a feed cannot be changed on the site; it must be defined
      within
      the feed. Eventually we will have some popup help to describe this.

      Right now, there are no special Reviewer actions related to licensing. If
      you do
      notice that a feed has an unknown license (we already have two like that)
      you may want to mail the owner and help them to get it fixed.

      I may have missed a license or two; in fact I am sure that I did. Send me
      more
      info and I will get this fixed up as soon as I can. I will be traveling this
      week
      (I'll be at the O'Reilly Emerging Tech Conference and would love to meet
      any Syndic8 users).

      Enjoy,

      Jeff;