Re: [syndic8] Feed Reviewer Guidelines

  • Jeff Barr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
      Alex asks,

      > If the description is not set, meaningless, or plain wrong should the xml
      > feed be approved. eg one said "Whatever", one said the name of the
      > software used, etc.

      > If an RSS feed headline has é in the title that suggests a note of
      > "Rogue &" is required... or should I do more?

      No, these should not be approved. Set them to "Awaiting Repair" and
      then send some mail to the owner of the site. You should also create
      a Note on the feed and indicate what is wrong with it. When mailing
      to the owner, you should indicate that you are a volunteer worker on
      the Syndic8 project. You may want to join the syndic8-audit list

      We have found that site owners are very willing to cooperate when
      you are polite, offer a full explanation of the problem, and supply
      them will the information that they need to make the fix. You
      can use this list as a resource.

      > If the rss docs don't have descriptions is that ok? I assume it is....

      Yes, the RSS description is optional.

      > If I see something wrong which I just mention it in a note and move on to
      > the next feed without approving or rejecting the feed.....

      It is best to actually do something to the feed, but if you are unsure
      of what to do then you can leave it as is.

      > Sorry if this isn't the right place to discuss beginner issues.

      As Brigham Young once said, "This is the place."

      Jeff;

      > I'm thinking of doing some more RSS stuff on my site and thought I better
      > help out with syndic8 by looking at some rss feeds.
      >
      > If the description is not set, meaningless, or plain wrong should the xml
      > feed be approved.
      > eg one said "Whatever", one said the name of the software used, etc.
      >
      > If an RSS feed headline has é in the title that suggests a note of
      > "Rogue &" is required... or should I do more?
      >
      > If the rss docs don't have descriptions is that ok? I assume it is....
      >
      > If I see something wrong which I just mention it in a note and move on to
      > the next feed without approving or rejecting the feed.....
      >

      > Sorry if this isn't the right place to discuss beginner issues.
      >
      > Alex
      >

      > Openweb Analysts Ltd, London: Software For Complex Websites
      > http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
      > Free Consultancy for London Companies thinking of Open Source Software.

    • Eric Vitiello Jr.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
        -- Jeff Barr [Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:46:22 -0700]:
        >Alex asks,
        >
        >>If the description is not set, meaningless, or plain wrong should the xml
        >>feed be approved. eg one said "Whatever", one said the name of the
        >>software used, etc.
        >
        >>If an RSS feed headline has é in the title that suggests a note of
        >>"Rogue &" is required... or should I do more?
        >
        >No, these should not be approved. Set them to "Awaiting Repair" and
        >then send some mail to the owner of the site. You should also create
        >a Note on the feed and indicate what is wrong with it. When mailing
        >to the owner, you should indicate that you are a volunteer worker on
        >the Syndic8 project. You may want to join the syndic8-audit list

        Along the same lines, what should we do about feeds that have no language setting?

        I've been making a "Bad Language Setting" note, setting to awaiting repair,
        and sending mail to the feed owner.

        --
        Eric Vitiello [Perceive Designs]
        <http://www.perceive.net>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
          Eric asks,

          > Along the same lines, what should we do about feeds that have no language setting?
          >
          > I've been making a "Bad Language Setting" note, setting to awaiting repair,
          > and sending mail to the feed owner.

          This is the right thing to do, thanks!

          Sometime later this year I would like to start on a series of quality
          improvement initiatives. We can highlight some aspect of a feed and
          try for a "mass upgrade". There are lots of optional RSS tags that
          do not see a lot of use right now (http://www.syndic8.com/xmlstats.php).

          Jeff;

          > -- Jeff Barr [Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:46:22 -0700]:
          > >Alex asks,
          > >
          > >>If the description is not set, meaningless, or plain wrong should the xml
          > >>feed be approved. eg one said "Whatever", one said the name of the
          > >>software used, etc.
          > >
          > >>If an RSS feed headline has é in the title that suggests a note of
          > >>"Rogue &" is required... or should I do more?
          > >
          > >No, these should not be approved. Set them to "Awaiting Repair" and
          > >then send some mail to the owner of the site. You should also create
          > >a Note on the feed and indicate what is wrong with it. When mailing
          > >to the owner, you should indicate that you are a volunteer worker on
          > >the Syndic8 project. You may want to join the syndic8-audit list
          >
          > Along the same lines, what should we do about feeds that have no language setting?
          >
          > I've been making a "Bad Language Setting" note, setting to awaiting repair,
          > and sending mail to the feed owner.
          >
          > --
          > Eric Vitiello [Perceive Designs]
          > <http://www.perceive.net>
          > Got Geek? <http://www.cafepress.com/got_geek>

        • Bill Kearney
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2002
            > Along the same lines, what should we do about feeds that have no language
            setting?

            > I've been making a "Bad Language Setting" note, setting to awaiting repair,
            > and sending mail to the feed owner.

            This has been an area of debate. I've generally found that if the language is
            not in English and it's missing a language tag then it's defective and should be
            marked as awaiting repair. If it's in English and in 0.92 format it
            *technically* is OK for it not to have a language tag. I make attempts to *dig
            out* an e-mail address and contact the feed provider. Most have be very quick
            to insert the the appropriate tag. When I say "dig out" I mean to look to not
            only the feed itself but to any contact info (or form) on the web site. I've
            had several web sites that didn't list any e-mail addresses but did have a
            contact form. Requesting they insert a language tag via that form resulted in
            them doing so.

            At some point the ubiquity of language tags is really going to help programmatic
            translation of feeds. It's my opinion that ALL feeds, regardless of being in
            English, should make the attempt to insert this very simple tag.

            -Bill Kearney