RE: [syndication] Syndic8.com is now accepting site submissions...

  • Jeff Barr
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 19 7:27 AM
      Mike says:

      > Maybe we need a mailing list just for Syndic8 users to discuss
      > these issues (like I'm not subscribing to enough mailing lists
      > as it is :-))

      One of our users already thought of this and was kind enough to
      create the group for us at Yahoo. Let's move our discussion
      over to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/syndic8.

      > A few things that would be nice:
      > - list feeds by name (a page with all feeds starting with A)
      > - in the current list, direct access to page N (show list
      > of page number at the bottom, so we can jump to page n)
      > - search by name

      I will get to the first one or two really soon.

      > I've been submitting feeds this morning and finding out
      > what is already there is time consuming...

      The suggest page will actually check to see if the feed is
      already known; you don't have to do this yourself.

      > Also, I'd like you oponion about submitting NewsIsFree
      > generated feeds (for scrapped sites):

      I would like to see the scraped sites listed. I can
      do a one-time import of the entire NewsIsFree list sometime
      soon if you would like.

      Jeff;

      > BTW, we already have 88 feed submissions from 6 different users.
      > Not bad for 12 hours!
      very good!

      A few things that would be nice:
      - list feeds by name (a page with all feeds starting with A)
      - in the current list, direct access to page N (show list
      of page number at the bottom, so we can jump to page n)
      - search by name

      I've been submitting feeds this morning and finding out
      what is already there is time consuming...

      Also, I'd like you oponion about submitting NewsIsFree
      generated feeds (for scrapped sites):
      I chose not to submit any now, I'll just add it on a
      case by case basis when a source is submitted and that
      users request it be scrapped.
      But you could also decide add them all and change the status
      from Scrapped to Officialy-Syndicated when/if an official feed
      because available.

      Maybe we need a mailing list just for Syndic8 users to discuss
      these issues (like I'm not subscribing to enough mailing lists
      as it is :-))

      Mike
      --
      NewsIsFree http://www.newsisfree.com/
      We serve 20000+ news feeds a day, for free. Please support us!

    • Bill Kearney
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 19 8:00 AM
        > The suggest page will actually check to see if the feed is
        > already known; you don't have to do this yourself.

        A way to see the list sorted by URL might also be useful. This way
        one could look at the list and see if there's already a feed with
        parameters in different order.

        > I would like to see the scraped sites listed. I can
        > do a one-time import of the entire NewsIsFree list sometime
        > soon if you would like.

        Can we somehow mark the scraped sites as such? It would be nice to
        be able to tell what's coming directly from the source and what's
        scraped. The point being to focus efforts on getting the scraped
        folks to begin creating their own feeds.

        Or am I missing something that says scraped sites are a good thing?

        -Bill Kearney
      • Mike Krus
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 19 8:04 AM
          hi again,

          Jeff Barr wrote:
          > The suggest page will actually check to see if the feed is
          > already known; you don't have to do this yourself.
          yeah, but my ego doesn't like getting those warning messages ;-)

          > I would like to see the scraped sites listed. I can
          > do a one-time import of the entire NewsIsFree list sometime
          > soon if you would like.
          well, I would certainly want to see them there sometime.
          However, terms of service apply to our feeds (as to moreover's)
          and I'd like to advocacy page to have a section about that.
          Using other peoples content and services comes with certain
          responsibilities and I think we should also work on that
          (not just on getting the publishers to share their content).

          But other than that, I have no reservations about you adding
          the scrapped feeds produced by NewsIsFree to the list.

          Mike

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 19 8:22 AM
            Bill asks:

            > A way to see the list sorted by URL might also be useful. This way
            > one could look at the list and see if there's already a feed with
            > parameters in different order.

            You can click on the "Feed URL" column header to sort by the URL.
            The URL is available as a tooltip on the XML icon (its the icon's
            ALT text).

            Scraped sites will be flagged as such in the database. There will
            be a way to retrieve an XML feed and to see this.

            > Or am I missing something that says scraped sites are a good thing?

            They are great. It may take a while to convince some sites to
            syndicate. The work done to scrape is quite important. We should
            be able to come up with some good statistics from those feeds
            as a vehicle to convince the site to syndicate.

            Jeff;

            > The suggest page will actually check to see if the feed is
            > already known; you don't have to do this yourself.

            A way to see the list sorted by URL might also be useful. This way
            one could look at the list and see if there's already a feed with
            parameters in different order.

            > I would like to see the scraped sites listed. I can
            > do a one-time import of the entire NewsIsFree list sometime
            > soon if you would like.

            Can we somehow mark the scraped sites as such? It would be nice to
            be able to tell what's coming directly from the source and what's
            scraped. The point being to focus efforts on getting the scraped
            folks to begin creating their own feeds.

            Or am I missing something that says scraped sites are a good thing?

            -Bill Kearney

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Bill Kearney
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 19 9:07 AM
              > well, I would certainly want to see them there sometime.
              > However, terms of service apply to our feeds (as to moreover's)
              > and I'd like to advocacy page to have a section about that.
              > Using other peoples content and services comes with certain
              > responsibilities and I think we should also work on that
              > (not just on getting the publishers to share their content).

              This is a good point. I'm glad it's come up. ISTM that we should
              confirm that scraped sites are being collected with the knowlege
              and/or approval of the source site. I'd hate to see some site get
              upset about being scraped and start threatening lawsuits.

              Something on the evagelism pages could cover it. Perhaps from
              several points of view. One being the site not having to do anything
              to spread their news. Another being the site needs to have people
              visit it for the rest of the article in order to satisfy web hits.

              -Bill Kearney