RSS 0.92 optional elements

  • Bill Kearney
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2002
      James,

      While you may have some personal predilection for requiring element contents,
      the title element is a required item element for a 0.92 feed.

      The RSS-0.92 allows for the <title> element to be optional.
      http://backend.userland.com/rss092

      Please review the specs documents before making state changes to feeds:
      http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=8411

      Nitpicking on a feed when it's TOOLKIT doesn't support the element is completely
      inappropriate. If you feel so brave as to take up that argument with it's
      developer then, by all means, go for it.

      Nor is the lack of it a criteria for approval of feeds in Syndic8. Let's start
      with does a feed have content? Does it have a language tag? Is it using proper
      encoding? Does it's description reflect something useful or not the default
      toolkit string? (empty is ok, just not terribly desirable).

      Let's take the approach of approving any and all feeds that provide content,
      within the bounds of what their tools allow.

      -Bill Kearney
    • James Linden
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2002
        > While you may have some personal predilection for requiring element
        contents,
        > the title element is a required item element for a 0.92 feed.

        As our discussion of the past 2 days has stated several times - I do not
        let my personal preferences influence my editing practices. While a title is
        a preferred element, and I fail to agree that is should be allowed to be
        optional, that doesn't change the fact that it is indeed optional.

        > The RSS-0.92 allows for the <title> element to be optional.
        > http://backend.userland.com/rss092

        Yes, it does.

        > Please review the specs documents before making state changes to feeds:
        > http://www.syndic8.com/feedinfo.php?FeedID=8411

        You assume, once again incorrectly, that I disapproved the feed because
        of some lack of knowledge of the specification on my part, when in fact, I
        simply misread the RSS version for the feed. Yes, my edit was incorrect - it
        happens, and quite unintentionally. I fail to see where you have the right
        to attempt to assign a reason to my actions.

        > Nitpicking on a feed when it's TOOLKIT doesn't support the element is
        completely
        > inappropriate. If you feel so brave as to take up that argument with it's
        > developer then, by all means, go for it.
        >
        > Nor is the lack of it a criteria for approval of feeds in Syndic8. Let's
        start
        > with does a feed have content? Does it have a language tag? Is it using
        proper
        > encoding? Does it's description reflect something useful or not the
        default
        > toolkit string? (empty is ok, just not terribly desirable).
        >
        > Let's take the approach of approving any and all feeds that provide
        content,
        > within the bounds of what their tools allow.

        If we are going to continue this squabble again, we should do so
        off-list. The rest of the group probably isn't interested in the Bill /
        James discussion.

        James