1065Re: [syndic8] Re: NewsIsFree.com changes.xml file?

  • Tara Calishain
    Dec 19, 2001
      At 02:05 PM 12/19/2001, you wrote:
      >Hi there,
      >--- In syndic8@y..., Tara Calishain <calumet@m...> wrote:
      > > Is Mike Krus out there? I understand from Daypop that he's doing a
      > > changes.xml file which Daypop is using to grab new headline files.
      > > Anyone know where I can get it, or am I off base?
      >I'm here ;-)
      >http://www.newsisfree.com/sources/changes/ for an HTML rendering
      >http://www.newsisfree.com/HPE/xml/changes.xml for the XML
      >(no RSS, will do if people want it)
      >It's a little different from the weblogs.com XML file (hence the
      >different version number). Each entry has three extra fields:
      >- id: the id of the feed on NewsIsFree
      >- s8: the id of the feed on Syndic8 (0 if no match is recorded in
      > our db)
      >- decay: the date of the olddest item for that feed in our database.
      > It's do be computed in the same way as the "when" date (i.e.
      > convert file update field to seconds, substract the value of the
      > field for the feed) (this isn't clear is it ? ;-). That field is
      > used by Daypop to clean it's index when our links die.

      Thanks Mike. Google sent me an announcement that they're now
      offering a news page on their site. I asked them, "Why aren't you using
      the changes.xml feed from NewsIsFree, like Daypop is? That way you'd
      be assured of a fresh information listing. "

      They wrote back that they'd never heard of it and would I please
      point them to it. So I'll send them this information and keep you posted.
      I'm really trying to get a major search engine to discover changes.xml
      files (not that Danny isn't a lovely human being because he is.)

      Tara Calishain / tara@...
      ResearchBuzz -- Search engine, database,
      and online collection news since 1998!
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic