Re: A question for Big Riders - Day 6

  • Tracey and Marc
    Message 1 of 25 , Jan 26, 2007
      We are still debating what we want to do, but we are starting to lean
      towards 'Comboyne or bust' so we have an easy peasy morning the next
      day. We can't imagine they'll get the Ride group up from Wingham that
      early...

      So, we were thinking Elands for lunch.. and then onto Comboyne.... I
      don't know.. you drove the road and would have a better idea whether
      that's an insane idea...

      There is also no rule of course! that everyone must do the same thing.
      We know a few other people from Coffs who are going who might well be
      interested in sharing accommodation with us.. We're also thinking we
      might have more hope of buying food for dinner at Comboyne...

      We aren't keen on riding down to that place near the falls because of
      the 200m climb you mentioned! Enough with the climbing!

      Anyway, we will have 2 days of flatish riding over the weekend to think
      about it. We are driving up to Grafton and then riding along the river
      (via Lawrence and Maclean) to Yamba.. staying the night in a motel, then
      coming back Sunday. Decided to try and make the training a bit 'novel'
      for the kids... (and us!)

      Tracey

      --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, Chris Horsfield <cjhfield@...>
      wrote:

      > Good work Tracey. I think it would be worth
      > contacting the Elands cottages - let me know if
      > you would like me to do it.
      >
      > I came across this farmstay:
      >

      > http://members.ozemail.com.au/~tirrintippin/Tirrintippin_Farmstay.html
      >
      > Theres a cottage and a bunkhouse. They can also
      > provide meals. Its 4k past the falls so it would
      > be another option.
      >
      > Chris
      >

      > Tracey and Marc wrote:
      > > Well, I found a place at Comboyne, with an extremely helpful
      bike-riding
      > > owner who is offering to transport gear and pick up food and
      everything:

      > > "Our accommodation is well suited to your needs. It is a large
      > > 3 bed room house built in the 1920's with wide sweeping veranda's
      and views
      > > to the coast. It normally Sleeps 6 in 1 x King size bed, 1 x Queen
      size
      > > Bed,
      > > 1 x 3/4 size bed and 1 x Single bed but can accommodate more for
      those
      > > happy
      > > to "Bunk down" we have additional mattress's. The house has a full
      kitchen
      > > and laundry. The bathroom has both shower and bath with more than
      enough
      > > hot
      > > water to accommodate a group of sweaty riders. The wide verandas
      have room
      > > for as many bike as required.
      > > For a group/family of 5 our rate would be $120
      > > We have other contacts in the area if you are interested
      > > We have accommodated cyclist groups and cycling tourists before and
      as a
      > > cyclist myself (road and Trail) I would be happy to help. We even
      have a
      > > Ute
      > > set up to ferry tandems if required.
      > > We are 4 Km from Comboyne town on the Lansdowne Rd."
      > >
      > > I asked some more question, like about price for extras:
      > >
      > > Probably $10 per head above the family rate. We have mattress for 12
      but
      > > that would be a squeeze!
      > > Some other things to consider:- Comboyne is 750M above sea level.
      The
      > > run to Elands is nice, but to end up in Comboyne in a day is big
      ride.
      > > The climb up to Comboyne from Wingham is decent ride on its own with
      > > 15km of dirt. To run up to Elands and then Comboyne and out to here
      > > would be long and about 40 km of dirt.
      > > Food is available in Comboyne until 7:00. Cafe all day. We could
      provide
      > > transport or pick up for food.
      > > Camping could be possible for those with the gear.
      > > Large BBQ and undercover picnic area is part of the deal."
      > >
      > > So.. dilemma!
      > >
      > > On the one hand I'd also been starting to think Elands would be more
      > > sensible to stay.. but on the other, well, if you could push through
      > > Comboyne you could all but consider Day 6 as your rest day then.. no
      > > need to get up too early... and just the (relatively) easy ride to
      > > Wauchope. This guy is offering heaps of assistance. We could quite
      > > possibly get/demand! the Big Ride people to drop our gear at
      Comboyne
      > > (or even at the house.) (Mind you, then we have to get our gear back
      on
      > > the truck to get to Wauchope.. hmmm.. well, maybe we could sling a
      > > communal bag on with change of clothes and toiletries...or just
      stick
      > > them in the panniers, though personally I don't want to be loaded up
      > > with any more than I have to if we do this!)
      > >
      > > I have a web-based enquiry form link to Elands Cottages... which I
      could
      > > use.. but I'm kind of doubtful they'd be as reasonably priced,
      prepared
      > > to accommodate so many people on the floor and all that...
      > >
      > > Hmmmm.
      > >
      > > Malcom.. do you think they'll be providing packaging for 700 bikes?!
      > >
      > > T.
      > >

      > > --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, Chris Horsfield cjhfield@

      Elands

      > > > The Elands Cottages were about 1km from the Elands
      > > > intersection. The sign said " Self Contained
      > > > Luxury Accommodation". I'm not sure how much
      > > > luxury you can expect in Elands. The general store
      > > > is about a km towards the falls - I didnt call in
      > > > but I reckon they would have the makings of a meal
      > > > of some sort. There were BBQ's at the falls. There
      > > > is an excellent cafe at Elands - called Aspens.
      > > > They were open when I went through and they serve
      > > > light meals but I think they are usually only open
      > > > Thursday to Sunday. I guess they might open for a
      > > > group.
      > > >
      > > > I guess if you rode up there you would take the
      > > > ! minimum for an overnight and have your bags and
      > > > tent transported to the next campsite. Not sure of
      > > > the cost of it all but it might work out OK for a
      > > > group. Stopping at Elands looks better than
      > > > Comboyne - more scenic and it would limit the
      > > > "rest day" to 40km with a big climb. Then only 24
      > > > to Comboyne to rejoin the ride.

      > > somewhere
      > > there..
      > > the
      > > >
      > > > My NRMA guide - a few years old- lists Comboyne
      > > > Hideaway holiday unit cnr Koppinyarrat & Kendall
      > > > Rd but no other details. The "luxury cottages" I
      > > > drove past were 3km before reaching Comboyn! e.
      > > > There is a general store in Comboyne and there is
      > > > a cafe somewhere (it could be the general store).
      > > > and there would have to be somewhere you could
      > > > buy a meal...
      > > > >
      > > > There may well be some riders who go and pick up
      > > > their cars on the rest day and drive up to the
      > > > falls - they might transport some gear up the hill
      > > > and leave them somewhere such as the cafe or the
      > > > store.
      > > >
      > > > Chris

    • Malcolm Wade
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 27, 2007
        Here's an idea.  Why not skip Comboyne complete?  Basic idea is on Day 6 ride toTaree, then head north and end up at Wauchope.  All up, about 80km.  I have it on good authority that there are back roads off the highway; in fact, we're going to be riding some of them when we come back to Coopernook.  I'm still trying to track down some better details; yes there might be some dirt but if you don't go up to Comboyne the hills aren't too bad.

        Cheers,
        Malcolm
      • Tracey and Marc
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 28, 2007
          Interesting idea... I'm assuming you're talking via Lansdowne. But
          then? Bit concerned re doing anything on the Pacific Hwy.

          Looking at map - could head north from Wingham on the Comboyne road
          (10km), then across 9km dirt, then about 11km sealed (south then north
          again) to Lansdowne.

          From Lansdowne - a bit more dirt ? (though Coopernook is bypassed now
          isn't it... I need to get a new map...)

          Through to Kendall.. then there doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding
          3km of Pacific Hwy to get to the last stretch to Wauchope.

          After our riding in 40 degree heat on Saturday, I'm not sure what I want
          to do. Can't imagine doing a similar distance as we did on Saturday,
          only with a fair bit up dirt. And I'm not real keen on missing out on a
          rest day either...

          Tracey

          --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Wade" <malcolm.wade@...>
          wrote:

          > Here's an idea. Why not skip Comboyne complete? Basic idea is on Day 6
          > ride toTaree, then head north and end up at Wauchope. All up, about
          80km.
          > I have it on good authority that there are back roads off the highway;
          in
          > fact, we're going to be riding some of them when we come back to
          Coopernook.
          > I'm still trying to track down some better details; yes there might be
          some
          > dirt but if you don't go up to Comboyne the hills aren't too bad.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Malcolm

        • Malcolm Wade
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 29, 2007
            Tracey,

            I have had a quick look the old route guide from the 2000 Big Ride where we did Port M to Taree in one day; total was 113km (mandatory detour enforced after dirt road deemed dangerous!!).

            If I reverse the original route it's something like:

            Wingham to Taree, then head out of town and turn left into Lansdowne Road, all the way to Lansdowne and keep going on this road to Coopernook.  This is probably the same route we'll take on the final day.  Then it's a bit of a ride up the highway to Moorland or thereabouts where you turn left onto Hannan Vale Rd, take to Stewarts River, then right into Jerusalem Rd, then Stewarts River Rd to Lorne Rd (just east of Lorne), turn right and go to Kendall.

            (Tracey's route to Lansdowne is another option; maps.google.com.au doesn't really tell me sealed or unsealed).

            Left up highway maybe left into Herons Ck Rd, through Herons Ck, then left into Bago Rd which follws the railway line mostly and winds and twists its way to Wauchope.

            I have deliberately left out going through the Coopernook State Forest; been there, done that before and there's a big hill in there!

            I reckon the distance will be 100km'ish (needs more accurate measuring, could be more).  There are places for food, Lansdowne, Coopernook, Lorne, Kendall but not much else.

            Cheers,
            Malcolm

             > Interesting idea... I'm assuming you're talking via Lansdowne. But
             > then? Bit concerned re doing anything on the Pacific Hwy.
             >
             > Looking at map - could head north from Wingham on the Comboyne road
             > (10km), then across 9km dirt, then about 11km sealed (south then north
             > again) to Lansdowne.
             >
             > From Lansdowne - a bit more dirt ? (though Coopernook is bypassed now
             > isn't it... I need to get a new map...)
             >
             > Through to Kendall.. then there doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding
             > 3km of Pacific Hwy to get to the last stretch to Wauchope.
          • Roger Leigh
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 29, 2007
              This is an impresively long email thread to come back to from a weeks
              holiday. To start with I'd like to add my thanks to Chris and Tracey and
              co. for all the chasing around that you have done. I share Malcolm's view
              that I'm not to worried about putting my 'economy' tandem on a truck, but I
              really want to spend the week riding rather than waiting around for buses
              and trucks. Richard can make 15 minutes of waiting feel like 4 hours!

              Having done the Alpine Classic at the weekend I should be able to say that
              hills no longer frighten me, but that was on the half bike on smooth tar!
              I saw Adrian and Jo out and about, but didn't get a chance to say hello.

              I'm happy to be part of any riding option on day 6, but don't have much to
              offer in terms of deciding what the best option is.

              Cheers

              Roger

              "Malcolm Wade"
              <malcolm.wade@bik
              erider.com> To
              Sent by: <sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com>
              sydneytandems@yah cc
              oogroups.com
              Subject
              RE: [sydneytandems] Re: A question
              01/29/2007 07:30 for Big Riders - Day 6
              PM

              Please respond to
              sydneytandems@yah
              oogroups.com

              Tracey,

              I have had a quick look the old route guide from the 2000 Big Ride where we did
              Port M to Taree in one day; total was 113km (mandatory detour enforced after dirt
              road deemed dangerous!!).

              If I reverse the original route it's something like:

              Wingham to Taree, then head out of town and turn left into Lansdowne Road, all the
              way to Lansdowne and keep going on this road to Coopernook. This is probably the
              same route we'll take on the final day. Then it's a bit of a ride up the highway
              to Moorland or thereabouts where you turn left onto Hannan Vale Rd, take to
              Stewarts River, then right into Jerusalem Rd, then Stewarts River Rd to Lorne Rd
              (just east of Lorne), turn right and go to Kendall.

              (Tracey's route to Lansdowne is another option; maps.google.com.au doesn't really
              tell me sealed or unsealed).

              Left up highway maybe left into Herons Ck Rd, through Herons Ck, then left into
              Bago Rd which follws the railway line mostly and winds and twists its way to
              Wauchope.

              I have deliberately left out going through the Coopernook State Forest; been
              there, done that before and there's a big hill in there!

              I reckon the distance will be 100km'ish (needs more accurate measuring, could be
              more). There are places for food, Lansdowne, Coopernook, Lorne, Kendall but not
              much else.

              Cheers,
              Malcolm

              > Interesting idea... I'm assuming you're talking via Lansdowne. But
              > then? Bit concerned re doing anything on the Pacific Hwy.
              >
              > Looking at map - could head north from Wingham on the Comboyne road
              > (10km), then across 9km dirt, then about 11km sealed (south then north
              > again) to Lansdowne.
              >
              > From Lansdowne - a bit more dirt ? (though Coopernook is bypassed now
              > isn't it... I need to get a new map...)
              >
              > Through to Kendall.. then there doesn't seem to be any way of avoiding
              > 3km of Pacific Hwy to get to the last stretch to Wauchope.

              "The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."