Re: tandem get together - Ride For Life

  • cjhfield
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 9, 2005
      Hello Ken et al, I may get down to this ride - I am up at Hallidays
      Point just South of Taree. We ride a tandem MTB (from Ebay when I was
      looking for a "half- bike" but could'nt resist) with and without a
      tag-along. David who is 8 is the stoker and Cait who is 6 tags along.
      We did last years spring ride a a trio and David and I did the first 4
      days of the big ride this year. I know I would have struggled with
      some of the long hills with the tagalong and Cait would not have coped
      with the longer days. As it was David had a ball and wanted to keep on
      going when we left the ride at Queanbeyan. We will probably do all of
      next years big ride as a tandem and not a triple so we may see you
      there. I dont know how the hills are - probably not as bad as this
      year. Being hooked into the drive train keeps the stoker involved with
      all ths speed changes and gear shifts and he never gets bored. The tag
      along is much less involving.

      I agree about Ebay as a source of parts - some great deals. Apart from
      the bike I have picked up brakes, a drum brake and some Swiss hubs for
      a fracton of their new price.

      Our bike is a Specialized Tandem Deja Two which probably dates from
      about 1992.

      What is planned for Saturday?

      Chris
    • Ken
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 9, 2005
        Try this again. I am looking good for the ride on Saturday.
        Nothing is set just if we see each other have a coffee and a chat.
        Geoff is going, his is the tandem on the front of the page at the
        moment. If you see someone with a tandem tell them about the
        group. So you think it is a bit much going on the tandem with the
        tag a long for the big ride? I have already guessed it may be but I
        will do the spring cycle and see how the boys(me)shape up at the end
        of it. Post a picture of your bike if you have one.

        Cheers,

        Ken

        --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, "cjhfield" <cjhfield@m...>
        wrote:
        > Hello Ken et al, I may get down to this ride - I am up at Hallidays
        > Point just South of Taree. We ride a tandem MTB (from Ebay when I
        was
        > looking for a "half- bike" but could'nt resist) with and without a
        > tag-along. David who is 8 is the stoker and Cait who is 6 tags
        along.
        > We did last years spring ride a a trio and David and I did the
        first 4
        > days of the big ride this year. I know I would have struggled with
        > some of the long hills with the tagalong and Cait would not have
        coped
        > with the longer days. As it was David had a ball and wanted to
        keep on
        > going when we left the ride at Queanbeyan. We will probably do all
        of
        > next years big ride as a tandem and not a triple so we may see you
        > there. I dont know how the hills are - probably not as bad as this
        > year. Being hooked into the drive train keeps the stoker involved
        with
        > all ths speed changes and gear shifts and he never gets bored. The
        tag
        > along is much less involving.
        >
        > I agree about Ebay as a source of parts - some great deals. Apart
        from
        > the bike I have picked up brakes, a drum brake and some Swiss hubs
        for
        > a fracton of their new price.
        >
        > Our bike is a Specialized Tandem Deja Two which probably dates from
        > about 1992.
        >
        > What is planned for Saturday?
        >
        > Chris
      • Chris Horsfield
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 9, 2005
          Ken wrote:

          >Try this again. I am looking good for the ride on Saturday.
          >Nothing is set just if we see each other have a coffee and a chat.
          >Geoff is going, his is the tandem on the front of the page at the
          >moment. If you see someone with a tandem tell them about the
          >group. So you think it is a bit much going on the tandem with the
          >tag a long for the big ride? I have already guessed it may be but I
          >will do the spring cycle and see how the boys(me)shape up at the end
          >of it. Post a picture of your bike if you have one.
          >
          >Cheers,
          >
          >Ken
          >

          >I think it depends on how long the hills are. We fly down hills and even on the flat I dont need much input from the troops but on the hills I need help. On the Big ride we didnt walk any hills but we came pretty close a few times. With the tag along on the back we would have had some longish walks. At the campsites I think that next time, with young kids, I would be tempted to book one of the tents that are put up for you and your bags delivered to the door. It would have made for a more relaxing time not having to look after young kids while trying to stake out a camp spot and retrieve the bags from some distant spot. I guess if your partner was also on the ride it would ease the logistics. We preceeded the ride with a ride up to Kosi from Charlotte Pass and followed it with a day riding on the Canberra bike paths and sights so we had a 7 day ride altogether with one rest day and David enjoyed almost everything ( there was a touch and go moment when we woke in the dark and got ready to go in some pretty heavy rain, but rain is a pretty rare comodity these days).

          Are you signing up for the family fun ride on Saturday?

          Chris
        • Ken
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 11, 2005
            I will not be able to make it tomorrow. I spent all day yesterday
            with my 18 month old at the Children's Hospital, all is well but she
            is not firing on all four at the moment. So for me it will be a
            catch up at work day. Enjoy all.

            Please note we have a new member and welcome to our little group.
            Feel free to have as much input here as you like. Post some photos
            add some links and let us know about your bike.

            Cheers,

            Ken

            --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, Chris Horsfield
            <cjhfield@m...> wrote:

            > Ken wrote:
            >
            > >Try this again. I am looking good for the ride on Saturday.
            > >Nothing is set just if we see each other have a coffee and a
            chat.
            > >Geoff is going, his is the tandem on the front of the page at the
            > >moment. If you see someone with a tandem tell them about the
            > >group. So you think it is a bit much going on the tandem with
            the
            > >tag a long for the big ride? I have already guessed it may be
            but I
            > >will do the spring cycle and see how the boys(me)shape up at the
            end
            > >of it. Post a picture of your bike if you have one.
            > >
            > >Cheers,
            > >
            > >Ken
            > >

            > >I think it depends on how long the hills are. We fly down hills
            and even on the flat I dont need much input from the troops but on
            the hills I need help. On the Big ride we didnt walk any hills but
            we came pretty close a few times. With the tag along on the back we
            would have had some longish walks. At the campsites I think that
            next time, with young kids, I would be tempted to book one of the
            tents that are put up for you and your bags delivered to the door.
            It would have made for a more relaxing time not having to look after
            young kids while trying to stake out a camp spot and retrieve the
            bags from some distant spot. I guess if your partner was also on the
            ride it would ease the logistics. We preceeded the ride with a ride
            up to Kosi from Charlotte Pass and followed it with a day riding on
            the Canberra bike paths and sights so we had a 7 day ride altogether
            with one rest day and David enjoyed almost everything ( there was a
            touch and go moment when we woke in the dark and got ready to go in
            some pretty heavy rain, but rain is a pretty rare comodity these
            days).

            > Are you signing up for the family fun ride on Saturday?
            >
            > Chris
          • Chris Horsfield
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 11, 2005
              Ken I hope your daughter is back to normal soon and you are coping with
              the stress of it all.. I thing 18 monthers probably have at least 6
              cylinders though.

              All the best,

              Chris

            • Geoff Semon
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 12, 2005
                Hi Ken

                I hope everything is ok with your daughter. Kids seem to have an amazing
                ability to recover from things. The staff at the Children's Hospital is
                very good so I am sure she will be looked after well.

                Well it looks like tomorrow will be a fizzer. We will be there but it seems
                as like it was either to shorter notice for the ones that we asked or they
                had prior engagements. Lindy Hou and Gary Finigan will be there but I apart
                from us I think that will be about it.

                It's great to see another member join us but perhaps we need a bit more
                publicity to get more people involved.
                How about we have another go at getting a group together for the Sydney
                Spring Cycle?

                Cheers

                Geoff

              • cjhfield
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 14, 2005
                  --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Semon <gsemon@o...> wrote:

                  > Well it looks like tomorrow will be a fizzer. We will be there but
                  it seems
                  > as like it was either to shorter notice for the ones that we asked
                  or they
                  > had prior engagements. Lindy Hou and Gary Finigan will be there but
                  I apart
                  > from us I think that will be about it.

                  We turned up about 12:30 and cruised around the park for a while but
                  left in search of ice cream. How they can organise a bicycle event
                  without ice cream beats me. Not a lot of tandems about but it was a
                  lovely day for a ride.

                  Chris