RTA Big Ride

  • Chris Horsfield
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
      Do we all have our Ride Guides in out hands? A few more big hills early
      on than I expected. Day 3 has the first 20km uphill but downhill for the
      rest of the day.

      How's the T-shirt production going? I have the components but I havn't
      been brave enough yet.

      Chris
    • Geoff Semon
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006

        We still haven’t done our shirts either but I w ill do them in the next couple of days as w e are catching the train to Wangaratta next Monday so it’s a mad rush to get things done before w e go.

        I’ve been doing some maintenance on the tandems before w e go. One of the things that had to be done w as ne w chains for both tandems. Ouch bye bye to $300 and another $100 on handlebar tape. John at Ashfield Cycles just smiled and said “ Got to love these tandem cyclists”!

        We w ere going to ride up from Albury on the start day but I added up the kms the right w ay and w orked out that the first day w ould be 110kms w hich w ould mean getting out of bed w ay to early so w ill ride up to Culcairn and stay there on the Friday night so w e only have a 20km ride to the start.

        Just look at those do w nhills. I think day three should be tandem day it might be 20kms up but look at the 35kms of do w nhill. We’ll fly :o)

        What the hills on day one w ill mean is that even though it’s a massed start everyone w ill have spread out by the finish for the day so there w on’t be a cue for the sho w ers hopefully.

        Cheers

        Geoff

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
          I have all the bits but done nothing with it.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 13, 2006
            Sounds a good warm up Geoff. I guess you are carrying all your gear so
            when you get to the Big Ride and offload a bit you will fly. I got an
            email asking us to find more participants because numbers are down - one
            email quoted 650 which is a long way down. While I dont want them to
            lose money I like the idea of less pressure on the facilities. I
            discovered they dont actually know how many tandems are on the ride -
            the entry form doesnt capture that info - they are a bit vague about how
            many Tandemonium T-shirts they need.

            I'm not sure if the sync chain needs to be new on a tandem because it
            doesnt have to change gear - maybe an old chain causes the rings to wear
            more. I did investigate the eccentric and eventually figured out how to
            loosen it and get the timing chain tensioned. I bought a batch of cork
            tape from Ebay a couple of years ago which worked out well.

            What do you reckon is the best lube for chains?

            See you all there,

            Chris

            Geoff Semon wrote:

            > We still haven’t done our shirts either but I will do them in the next
            > couple of days as we are catching the train to Wangaratta next Monday
            > so it’s a mad rush to get things done before we go.
            >
            > I’ve been doing some maintenance on the tandems before we go. One of
            > the things that had to be done was new chains for both tandems. Ouch
            > bye bye to $300 and another $100 on handlebar tape. John at Ashfield
            > Cycles just smiled and said “ Got to love these tandem cyclists”!
            >
            > We were going to ride up from Albury on the start day but I added up
            > the kms the right way and worked out that the first day would be
            > 110kms which would mean getting out of bed way to early so will ride
            > up to Culcairn and stay there on the Friday night so we only have a
            > 20km ride to the start.
            >
            > Just look at those downhills. I think day three should be tandem day
            > it might be 20kms up but look at the 35kms of downhill. We’ll fly :o)
            >
            > What the hills on day one will mean is that even though it’s a massed
            > start everyone will have spread out by the finish for the day so there
            > won’t be a cue for the showers hopefully.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Geoff

          • gongtandem
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
              Hi Chris and all you guys.
              I'm not sure if you read the Tandem forums-
              http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44
              but if you search here Chris I'm sure you will find more than you need
              to know about replacing chains.
              I also know that you can rotate front and back rings on the timing
              chain as the wear points are different front and back ( I havent quite
              figured out how yet, but as it came from a very reliable poster on the
              forum I have no hesitation in posting this info).
              Another great Tandem site/forum is Tandem@hobbes. Google it and then
              subscribe, it took me a while to work out and log in, but its well
              worth it. PS get the journal type email, per day, otherwise you may
              get up to 17/20 emails a day!

              See you all on the BIG RIDE, Kath and I will be looking out for you :)
              regards, Adrian
            • Geoff Semon
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006
                Hi Chris

                I use Tri-flow which seems to work the best for me. (It is also brilliant on
                outside padlocks). White Lightning is ok and doesn't pick up dirt easily but
                washes off in the rain.
                I replace the drive chain when it shows 1/8" wear when measured using a 12"
                ruler. This seems to be around the 3,000km mark for us. I think a lot of the
                wear depends on rider weigh and riding styles. Our Santana has just had a
                new Ultegra Crankset installed and I thought new chains would be better
                rather that putting an old one on a new crankset.
                Our Mocha now has 6,000kms on it since we bought it last June, so it gets a
                new drive chain and cassette. The synchronizing chain is still OK but it's
                good to have a spare in reserve.
                BINSW have had some management problems apparently so they are up against it
                from all directions. The timing of the ride (not long after Christmas) and
                the location (hilly), aren't attracting the usual crowd.
                I have been hearing good things about Bike Queensland's ride from last year
                so we might do this years as well.

                Cheers

                Geoff

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 14, 2006

                  A good source for tandem info is the Mark Living w ood w ho contributes to tandem@hobbes and as Tandemgeek on Bike Forums. His w ebsite w hich is http://www.thetandemlink.com/index.html has loads of information and links.

                  Sheldon Bro w n or Captain Bike is also a great resource http://sheldonbrown.com/articles.html

                  Cheers

                  Geoff