Re: [sydneytandems] Re: Tandem bike boxes [1 Attachment]

  • Roger Leigh
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 21, 2011
      The photo caught your best side, Geoff  :-)

      From:        Geoff Semon <gsemon@...>
      To:        <sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com>
      Date:        22/07/2011 01:58 PM
      Subject:        [sydneytandems] Re: Tandem bike boxes [1 Attachment]
      Sent by:        sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com

      [Attachment(s) from Geoff Semon included below]

      Hi Marc
      I had a look here
      http://search.bikelist.org/?SearchString=crateworks&Scope=tandem for info on the crateworks boxes and I’m not sold on the idea considering the cost.
      Cardboard will survive a reasonable amount of rain without damage and luggage is never left out in the rain for any length of time as most bags aren’t waterproof.
      We have flown a few times with our Santana using the telescoping box system and have had no damage at all the the bike ( wish I could say the same for the paintwork on the co-motion!). Some of the things we take to the airport are a couple of rolls of packing or gaffer tape and a mini dispenser. Lengths of nylon cloth tape are what we use to tie things together so they don’t move around. If airport security does decide to have a closer look the bike will slide out as a complete unit. I also carry braces to insert between the forks and rear dropouts.

      The pic is of me putting the Santana together at Christchurch airport back in 2003 which shows our box

      Cheers

      Geoff

      "The information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential information, and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by return email and delete the original message."

    • Tim Wong
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 22, 2011
        Janet and I do the same thing (or did the same thing, considering it's been quite a while that we've flown our tandem or even in ridden it come to think).

        Regards,
        Tim W

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 23, 2011
          Re: [sydneytandems] Re: Tandem bike boxes So I’ve been told Roger lol

          Cheers

          Geoff

          From:       Geoff Semon <gsemon@...>
          To:       <sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com>
          Date:       22/07/2011 01:58 PM
          Sent by:       sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com

          [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Geoff Semon included below]

          Hi Marc
          I had a look here http://search.bikelist.org/?SearchString=crateworks&Scope=tandem <http://search.bikelist.org/?SearchString=crateworks&Scope=tandem> for info on the crateworks boxes and I’m not sold on the idea considering the cost.
[...]

        • ledbarus
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 24, 2011
            Hi Marc,

            If you are thinking of upgrading, there's always a Bike Friday tandem (http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/tandem). That was the option we went for and find it works really well for us. Flying/training/busing is no problem, even part way through a tour.

            We've now done 2 two month trips overseas, one camping and one BnBing, and the bike has performed well (though we did get some strange looks at the top of Alpe d'Huez). When not camping we can get by with only taking one case, which reduces the weight.

            Cheers,
            Linda and Matthew

            --- In sydneytandems@yahoogroups.com, "traceandmarc" <alcatraz@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the responses so far... my thoughts on them below....
            >

            > * We have travelled with the telescoping cardboard solution.
            > Protection not durable enough for me (think rain on the tarmac) and also
            > not great on securing the wheels etc inside. Bike has to sit on the boom
            > tube which means also taking off rear drive side crank. That said we had
            > no damage on the 2 flights.
            > * The Crateworks solution has internal sections to separate wheels
            > etc and a plate to attach the frame to. There are pictures on the
            > Features link on their website.
            > * Cardboard cartons from Qantas/Virgin = same as the telescoping LBS
            > cartons really. (airline ones cost $15 ish each)
            > * The 178cm internal dimension is not big for a full size road
            > tandem. A quick measure of our Santana which this is for says I need at
            > least 173cm with both wheels off. The BikePRO tandem case is a tad
            > longer actually.
            >
            > * 180 cm and less than 32kg is no problem for Virgin (they can take
            > up to 3m on some aircraft!!). I dont think it would be for Qantas either
            > although they dont explicitly say. From Santana and TandemsEast there
            > seems to be no real issue with fitting something that big on the planes.
            > They run tours with lots of bikes to lots of places lots of times.
            > * As far as what to do with the box when at the destination... A.
            > store it flat in hotel, storage, old friends garage, whatever, and ride
            > a loop. Not a game breaker for me.
            > * Getting a custom one made is not a bad idea. Need the maker to have
            > some experience on the internals and maintaining separation though; I
            > want more than just the box. (keep looking for that link, Malcolm, ta).
            > I dont want a prototype that isn't up to it to fail and end up having
            > paid for a box that is no use and a wrecked tandem to boot.
            >
            > Maybe I'll upgrade from the Santana to something coupled and NEW! If
            > someone knows someone coming back from the US or Canada I'll pay any
            > charges for them to check it in back to Sydney :)
            >

            > Marc

          • Chris Horsfield
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 26, 2011
              On 24/07/2011 8:51 PM, ledbarus wrote:
              > Hi Marc,
              >
              > If you are thinking of upgrading, there's always a Bike Friday tandem (http://www.bikefriday.com/bicycles/tandem). That was the option we went for and find it works really well for us. Flying/training/busing is no problem, even part way through a tour.
              >
              > We've now done 2 two month trips overseas, one camping and one BnBing, and the bike has performed well (though we did get some strange looks at the top of Alpe d'Huez). When not camping we can get by with only taking one case, which reduces the weight.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Linda and Matthew

              I'm impressed you got to the top of Alpe d'Huez and even more impressed
              you got down again in one piece. Thats a tough test of the brakes on a
              Bike Friday! How was the Galibier? I asume you did that on the same day
              (:-))

              Chris
            • ledbarus
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 19, 2011
                Hi Chris,

                Our apologies for not replying to your response sooner - our ISP's spam filter seems to have been upgraded and gobbled up important emails!

                We have a drum brake on both our tandems (invaluable for long descents), so the descent wasn't too bad. Though we did get a flat tyre at hairpin bend number 10 on the way down the second time. This was due to the rim heating up a bit (yes the rim brakes still had to be used) and causing the rim tape to move exposing the eyelet holes. Our only flat tyre for the whole 2700km and within 15 minutes of finishing the cycling for the whole trip! It's an interesting experience changing a tyre on the non-existent shoulder of that road.

                Didn't do Galibier as stoker gets altitude sickness above 2500m, but did do Col du Lautaret a few days later. We actually spent a week in Bourg d'Oisans and did a number of rides in the area. Absolutely awesome.

                Cheers,
                Linda and Matthew