"Ladies" wanted

  • Christina Mimmocchi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 11, 2011
      Hi all

      The Sydney Women¹s Vocal Orchestra (SWVO) is looking for ³ladies² (sops,
      altos, tenors) for a one-off performance in Martin Place on Tues 15 Feb at
      11am to be part of a Fall of Singapore commemoration.

      BACKGROUND
      This is SWVO¹s 8th year. We perform the music that Margaret Dryburgh and
      Norah Chambers arranged and taught in secret in POW in Sumatra (as seen in
      the film ³Paradise Road²). This was a courageous and creative effort to
      raise the spirits of the women who were malnourished, diseased and living in
      atrocious conditions. The music is beautiful three and four part
      arrangements of mainly classical repertoire.

      Over the past eight years we have performed the music and told the story of
      the women in various concert-style presentations. Our annual performance is
      at the Fall of Singapore commemoration in Martin Place, which is always an
      extremely moving occasion.

      2011
      If you can read music (Dvorak¹s ³Largo² and Chopin¹s ³Prelude² as well as
      Dryburgh¹s ³Captives¹ Hymn²) and can come to one rehearsal (Sat 12 Feb
      10am-midday in Cammeray) and the ceremony at 11am on Tues 15 Feb, please
      consider being part of keeping this extraordinary music alive.

      I¹m happy to answer questions and of course email sheet music to interested
      persons.

      All good wishes

      Christina
      0410 682061