Arizona Daily Sun: Light-rail proposed for Grand Canyon visitors

  • Howard Bingham
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
      Grand Canyon Railway is officially proposing the creation of a $186
      million high-speed light rail line aimed at easing traffic congestion
      along the South Rim -- a project it first discussed in January 2002..

      For the complete story, click this URL which may be available for a
      limited time:

      <http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=76096>

      --
      Howard Bingham
    • Bill Lindley
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
        re: http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=76096

        What the Grand Canyon Railway is proposing, is most definitely NOT a
        light rail (i.e., modern day streetcar) project but more like commuter
        rail. The Sun reporter should get that straight.

        \\/

        p.s., Thanks, Howard, for spotting that!
      • marc pearsall
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2003
          Thanks Bill for pointing that out... what is comical is that some reporters
          have gone as far as describing it as a
          "High-speed-electric-intercity-commuter-light-rail"... ha!

          What is also interesting about this new proposal is that in the span of 1
          year, the proposal has gone from an $80 million venture (50% private
          funding/50% federal funding) to a whopping $180+ million with 80% federal /
          20% private funding. What happened?!

          I wonder if Arizona's 10 congressmen will unanimously endorse the 'new'
          proposal as they did with last year's $80 million plan...?

          Marc

          >From: Bill Lindley <wlindley@...>
          >To: swrail@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [swrail] Arizona Daily Sun goof: It's NOT light-rail
          >Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 16:17:02 -0700
          >
          >re: http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/nav_includes/story.cfm?storyID=76096
          >
          >What the Grand Canyon Railway is proposing, is most definitely NOT a
          >light rail (i.e., modern day streetcar) project but more like commuter
          >rail. The Sun reporter should get that straight.
          >
          >\\/
          >
          >p.s., Thanks, Howard, for spotting that!

          Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • Dave Beale
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2003
            I think many reporters in the USA in the mainstream news media have simply
            fallen into the habit of calling any new or proposed passenger rail service
            "light rail" irregardless of what mode it really is. I have noticed this
            in several U.S. based newspapers and in some magazines such as "Time" or
            "Newsweek" over the past 5 - 10 years. I think the most ridiculous
            example was a news article posted on, I think, the on-line edition of the
            Cincinnati Enquirer a few years ago which reported on the start of
            construction of the Darwin - Alice Springs, Australia rail link (which was
            recently completed). In the article they reported that Australian
            government officials were investigating whether to introduce "regularly
            scheduled passenger services with light rail trains" from Darwin to Alice
            Springs, Adelaide and Melbourne after the new rail link was operational
            with freight trains.

            Should Australia truly operate light rail vehicles on a regular basis on
            that rail line of over 700 miles distance through empty desert from Darwin
            to Alice Springs, it would certainly go into the Guinness Book of Records
            of being the world's longest and loneliest street-car or light rail line.

            - Dave Beale