Re: [SWISSEPH] how to calculate the moon parallax

  • Dieter Koch
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2008
      > Does anyone know whether there is a way directly or indirectly with Swiss ephemeris to calculate the moon parallax for any given time and location?

      Clement,

      you can use the function swe_pheno() or swe_pheno_ut().

      The function returns:
      * attr[0] = phase angle (earth-planet-sun)
      * attr[1] = phase (illumined fraction of disc)
      * attr[2] = elongation of planet
      * attr[3] = apparent diameter of disc
      * attr[4] = apparent magnitude
      * attr[5] = geocentric horizontal parallax (Moon)
      * declare as attr[20] at least !

      But you need the newest Swiss Ephemeris version 1.75 if you need
      topocentric values.

      I fixed this only recently but forgot to mention it in the release history.

      Regards

      Dieter

      > thanks.
      >
      > Clement

    • Juan Bachisio
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2008
        Dear Dieter,

        According my understanding Moon Parallax Correction is related to position (Lat and Lon)

        I understand Moon parallax correction is Maximum (close to 57 mins) in ASC ,  null when located in MC and IC and Minus 57 mins in DSC.

        I can not see position parameters in SWE_Pheno function.

        Thank you in advance for your comments

        Regards

        ________________________________
        > Does anyone know whether there is a way directly or indirectly with Swiss ephemeris to calculate the moon parallax for any given time and location?

        Clement,

        you can use the function swe_pheno() or swe_pheno_ut( ).

        The function returns:
        * attr[0] = phase angle (earth-planet- sun)
        * attr[1] = phase (illumined fraction of disc)
        * attr[2] = elongation of planet
        * attr[3] = apparent diameter of disc
        * attr[4] = apparent magnitude
        * attr[5] = geocentric horizontal parallax (Moon)
        * declare as attr[20] at least !

        But you need the newest Swiss Ephemeris version 1.75 if you need
        topocentric values.

        I fixed this only recently but forgot to mention it in the release history.

        Regards

        Dieter

        > thanks.
        >
        > Clement

      • Dieter Koch
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2008
          > Dear Dieter,
          >
          > According my understanding Moon Parallax Correction is related to position (Lat and Lon)
          >
          > I understand Moon parallax correction is Maximum (close to 57 mins) in ASC ,  null when located in MC and IC and Minus 57 mins in DSC.
          >
          > I can not see position parameters in SWE_Pheno function.

          To set the geographic position, use the function
          swe_set_topo(long, lat, altitude).

          After that call swe_pheno_ut() for the moon with iflag |= SE_TOPOCTR for
          topocentric calculation of all output values including horizontal
          parallax.

          Regards

          Dieter

          > Thank you in advance for your comments
          >

          > Regards
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Juan Bachisio
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 23, 2008
            Thank You Dieter for your promp response.

            I followed your instructions and now Attr (5) is sensible to Position  but is not sensible to Time during the day ... i.e Moon parallax correction is the same if Time is 9 AM or 9 PM.

            My understanding is :
            If a Chart has the Moon in ASC at 9 AM, Moon Parallax Correction is close to +1 Deg at 9 PM is close to DSC and Moon parallax Correction is close to -1 Deg

            Thak you in advance

            Regards

            Juan

            ________________________________
            > According my understanding Moon Parallax Correction is related to position (Lat and Lon)
            >
            > I understand Moon parallax correction is Maximum (close to 57 mins) in ASC ,  null when located in MC and IC and Minus 57 mins in DSC.
            >
            > I can not see position parameters in SWE_Pheno function.

            To set the geographic position, use the function
            swe_set_topo( long, lat, altitude).

            After that call swe_pheno_ut( ) for the moon with iflag |= SE_TOPOCTR for
            topocentric calculation of all output values including horizontal
            parallax.

            Regards

            Dieter

            > Thank you in advance for your comments
            >

            > Regards
            >

            > ____________ _________ _________ __

          • congbh
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 23, 2008
              Hi Dieter,

              Is this the same parallax(in degrees) is the one that may be use to gauge the distance of the moon from earth? .eg the parallax is smaller when the moon is further away from earth and largest when it's closest to the earth.

              thanks.

              Clement

              > Does anyone know whether there is a way directly or indirectly with Swiss ephemeris to calculate the moon parallax for any given time and location?

              Clement,

              you can use the function swe_pheno() or swe_pheno_ut().

              The function returns:
              * attr[0] = phase angle (earth-planet-sun)
              * attr[1] = phase (illumined fraction of disc)
              * attr[2] = elongation of planet
              * attr[3] = apparent diameter of disc
              * attr[4] = apparent magnitude
              * attr[5] = geocentric horizontal parallax (Moon)
              * declare as attr[20] at least !

              But you need the newest Swiss Ephemeris version 1.75 if you need
              topocentric values.

              I fixed this only recently but forgot to mention it in the release history.

              Regards

              Dieter

              > thanks.
              >
              > Clement

            • Dieter Koch
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 24, 2008
                On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Juan Bachisio wrote:

                > Thank You Dieter for your promp response.
                >
                > I followed your instructions and now Attr (5) is sensible to Position  but is not sensible to Time during the day ... i.e Moon parallax correction is the same if Time is 9 AM or 9 PM.
                >
                > My understanding is :
                > If a Chart has the Moon in ASC at 9 AM, Moon Parallax Correction is close to +1 Deg at 9 PM is close to DSC and Moon parallax Correction is close to -1 Deg

                Juan,

                I don't understand exactly your question, but parallax has no sign (+/-).
                The horizontal parallax of the Moon it is just the difference between its
                topocentric and the geocentric position when it is on the astronomical
                horizon.

                Regards

                Dieter

                > Thak you in advance
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Juan
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Dieter Koch
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 24, 2008
                  > Hi Dieter,
                  >
                  > Is this the same parallax(in degrees) is the one that may be use to gauge the distance of the moon from earth? .eg the parallax is smaller when the moon is further away from earth and largest when it's closest to the earth.

                  Clement,

                  the answer is here:
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax#Lunar_parallax

                  Regards

                  Dieter

                  > thanks.
                  >
                  > Clement

                • Juan Bachisio
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 24, 2008
                    Dear Dieter,

                    Please take a look to this site

                    http://mysite.verizon.net/bonniehill/pages.aux/astrology/parallax/lunar.parallax.html

                    Mayor programs include Moon Parallax correction working acording to this, in particular those oriented to Vedic astrology.

                    Regards

                    Juan

                    ________________________________
                    On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Juan Bachisio wrote:

                    > Thank You Dieter for your promp response.
                    >
                    > I followed your instructions and now Attr (5) is sensible to Position  but is not sensible to Time during the day ... i.e Moon parallax correction is the same if Time is 9 AM or 9 PM.
                    >
                    > My understanding is :
                    > If a Chart has the Moon in ASC at 9 AM, Moon Parallax Correction is close to +1 Deg at 9 PM is close to DSC and Moon parallax Correction is close to -1 Deg

                    Juan,

                    I don't understand exactly your question, but parallax has no sign (+/-).
                    The horizontal parallax of the Moon it is just the difference between its
                    topocentric and the geocentric position when it is on the astronomical
                    horizon.

                    Regards

                    Dieter

                    > Thak you in advance
                    >
                    > Regards
                    >
                    > Juan
                    >

                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                  • Dieter Koch
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 24, 2008
                      On Fri, 24 Oct 2008, Juan Bachisio wrote:

                      > Dear Dieter,
                      >
                      > Please take a look to this site
                      >
                      > http://mysite.verizon.net/bonniehill/pages.aux/astrology/parallax/lunar.parallax.html
                      >
                      > Mayor programs include Moon Parallax correction working acording to this, in particular those oriented to Vedic astrology.

                      If you want topocentric (= "parallax-corrected") lunar positions, you can
                      have this much easier:

                      swe_set_topo(long, lat, altitude);
                      swe_calc_ut(tjd, SE_MOON, SEFLG_TOPOCTR, ...);

                      This is also implemented in swetest.

                      The example of the page you mention is:

                      > For our test, we will use April 30, 2005 at 10:00 am EST in New York City (74:00:00 W, 40:43:00 N). We will calculate the longitude of the Moon.
                      >
                      > Type of Calculation Astrolog Lunar Par Calc
                      > Tropical, Non-parallax: 1 Aqu 50 45 1 Aqu 50 12
                      > Tropical, Parallax: N/A 1 Aqu 00 28

                      We can reproduce that with swetest as follows:
                      swetest -b30.4.2005 -p1 -fPZ -ut15 -head
                      Moon 1 aq 50'45.5815 tropical geocentric
                      swetest -b30.4.2005 -p1 -fPZ -ut15 -topo-74.0,40.716667,0 -head
                      Moon 1 aq 1' 2.0825 tropical topocentric

                      If you subtract the difference between Astrolog and Lunar Par Calc (33 arc sec)
                      you get the same result as Lunar Par Calc.

                      Regards

                      Dieter

                      > Regards
                      >
                      > Juan