Re: [SWISSEPH] shadbala and vimshotthri

  • Gour
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 4, 2007
      On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:20:18 -0000
      "kinvenkat_11" <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

      > Thank You for your reply, is there anything like shadbala supported
      > in swiss ephemerisis??

      No, Swiss Ephemeris library is providing what it is named for -
      very precise calculation of ephemeris based on which you can get Rasi
      chart.

      The rest is upon you, i.e. programmer to fill out ;)

      Sincerely,
      Gour

    • kinvenkat_11
      Message 2 of 28 , Mar 4, 2007
        Hi Gour,

        I do not know how to calculate the vedic ascendant using swiss
        ephemerisis, can you kindly let me know how to calulcate this?
        --- In swisseph@yahoogroups.com, Gour <list@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:20:18 -0000
        > "kinvenkat_11" <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Thank You for your reply, is there anything like shadbala
        supported
        > > in swiss ephemerisis??
        >
        > No, Swiss Ephemeris library is providing what it is named for -
        > very precise calculation of ephemeris based on which you can get
        Rasi
        > chart.
        >
        > The rest is upon you, i.e. programmer to fill out ;)
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Gour

      • kinvenkat_11
        Message 3 of 28 , Mar 4, 2007
          Hi gour,

          can you kindly let me know whether any free atlas is available

          Thank You
          Venkat
          --- In swisseph@yahoogroups.com, Gour <list@...> wrote:

          > On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 07:20:18 -0000
          > "kinvenkat_11" <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Thank You for your reply, is there anything like shadbala
          supported
          > > in swiss ephemerisis??
          >
          > No, Swiss Ephemeris library is providing what it is named for -
          > very precise calculation of ephemeris based on which you can get
          Rasi
          > chart.
          >
          > The rest is upon you, i.e. programmer to fill out ;)
          >
          > Sincerely,
          > Gour

        • Thomas Mack
          Message 4 of 28 , Mar 5, 2007
            Am Montag, 5. März 2007 05:43 schrieb kinvenkat_11:
            > Hi Gour,
            >
            > I do not know how to calculate the vedic ascendant using swiss
            > ephemerisis, can you kindly let me know how to calulcate this?

            Hi Venkat!

            This is very simple, you just take the western ascendent, and
            subtract the ayanamsha from it.

            Shadbal ist composed of many sub features, as far as I know.
            This seems to include precise calculations of sun rise and
            sun set times, which is available through Swiss Ephemeris
            as well. (But many Jyotish programs seem to incorrectly calculate
            Shadbal, by not taking in account rise and set times, someone
            told me some years ago, if I remember correctly.)

            So you should be able to calculate everything necessary
            for Shadbal calculations from Swiss Ephemeris. You might have
            to ask a good astrologer, what are the details of it.

            Best regards,
            Thomas Mack
          • kinvenkat_11
            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 5, 2007
              Hi ,

              Thank You for your reply, Once i get the degrees of the planets it
              is easy for me to do the rest and i have done all the vargas and now
              working on shadbala. how to calculate the time of sun rise and sun
              set from swiss ephemeriss? can you also let me know how to calculate
              the time the moon entered in a particular star contellation and the
              current location of the moon in the constellation.did swiss ephem
              has any functions for these things, please let me know.

              Thank You
              Venkat
              --- In swisseph@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Mack <mack@...> wrote:

              > Am Montag, 5. März 2007 05:43 schrieb kinvenkat_11:
              > > Hi Gour,
              > >
              > > I do not know how to calculate the vedic ascendant using swiss
              > > ephemerisis, can you kindly let me know how to calulcate this?
              > >
              > Hi Venkat!
              >
              > This is very simple, you just take the western ascendent, and
              > subtract the ayanamsha from it.
              >
              > Shadbal ist composed of many sub features, as far as I know.
              > This seems to include precise calculations of sun rise and
              > sun set times, which is available through Swiss Ephemeris
              > as well. (But many Jyotish programs seem to incorrectly calculate
              > Shadbal, by not taking in account rise and set times, someone
              > told me some years ago, if I remember correctly.)
              >
              > So you should be able to calculate everything necessary
              > for Shadbal calculations from Swiss Ephemeris. You might have
              > to ask a good astrologer, what are the details of it.
              >
              > Best regards,
              > Thomas Mack

            • Thomas Mack
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 5, 2007
                Am Montag, 5. März 2007 11:22 schrieb kinvenkat_11:
                > Hi ,
                >
                > Thank You for your reply, Once i get the degrees of the planets it
                > is easy for me to do the rest and i have done all the vargas and now
                > working on shadbala. how to calculate the time of sun rise and sun
                > set from swiss ephemeriss? can you also let me know how to calculate

                Look at the swe_rise_trans method.

                > the time the moon entered in a particular star contellation and the
                > current location of the moon in the constellation.did swiss ephem
                > has any functions for these things, please let me know.

                Transit routines are not part of swiss ephemeris. I implemented a
                method in the java port of swiss ephemeris, but it may be a little
                too much "academic" (vs. practical), even though it seems to work
                very well in practice. It implements geocentric, topocentric and
                heliocentric transits including Yoga transits and transits relative
                to other planets forward and backward in time. So you can convert it
                back to C, if you like.

                Thomas
              • venkat narayanan
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 5, 2007
                  Hi Thomas,
                  I am using a VB version, is this function available
                  in that .

                  --- Thomas Mack <mack@...-bs.de> wrote:

                  > Am Montag, 5. März 2007 11:22 schrieb kinvenkat_11:
                  > > Hi ,
                  > >
                  > > Thank You for your reply, Once i get the degrees
                  > of the planets it
                  > > is easy for me to do the rest and i have done all
                  > the vargas and now
                  > > working on shadbala. how to calculate the time of
                  > sun rise and sun
                  > > set from swiss ephemeriss? can you also let me
                  > know how to calculate
                  >
                  > Look at the swe_rise_trans method.
                  >
                  > > the time the moon entered in a particular star
                  > contellation and the
                  > > current location of the moon in the
                  > constellation.did swiss ephem
                  > > has any functions for these things, please let me
                  > know.
                  > >
                  > Transit routines are not part of swiss ephemeris. I
                  > implemented a
                  > method in the java port of swiss ephemeris, but it
                  > may be a little
                  > too much "academic" (vs. practical), even though it
                  > seems to work
                  > very well in practice. It implements geocentric,
                  > topocentric and
                  > heliocentric transits including Yoga transits and
                  > transits relative
                  > to other planets forward and backward in time. So
                  > you can convert it
                  > back to C, if you like.
                  >
                  > Thomas

                  Thanks & Regards
                  Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                  The fish are biting.
                • Gour
                  Message 8 of 28 , Mar 8, 2007
                    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:46:21 -0000
                    "kinvenkat_11" <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                    > can you kindly let me know whether any free atlas is available

                    afaik - no.

                    There was idea from the developers to work on timezone-data and adapt it
                    astrological purposes.

                    I replied to that thread, but there was no answer, so I'd probably try
                    to initiate discussion somewhere else.

                    Sincerely,
                    Gour

                  • venkat narayanan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Mar 8, 2007
                      Hi Gour,
                      Can i buy any atlas, do you know any software which
                      i can buy and use in my site, all i need is the
                      database.
                      --- Gour <list@...> wrote:

                      > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 04:46:21 -0000
                      > "kinvenkat_11" <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > can you kindly let me know whether any free atlas
                      > is available
                      >
                      > afaik - no.
                      >
                      > There was idea from the developers to work on
                      > timezone-data and adapt it
                      > astrological purposes.
                      >
                      > I replied to that thread, but there was no answer,
                      > so I'd probably try
                      > to initiate discussion somewhere else.
                      >
                      > Sincerely,
                      > Gour

                      > removed]

                      Thanks & Regards
                      Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                    • Gour
                      Message 10 of 28 , Mar 8, 2007
                        On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:29:32 -0800 (PST)
                        venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Gour,
                        > Can i buy any atlas, do you know any software which
                        > i can buy and use in my site, all i need is the
                        > database.

                        I know only about ACS atlas, but, afaik, it does not work on Linux :-(

                        Ask developers here - they use it, iirc, for their web site.

                        Sincerely,
                        Gour

                      • venkat narayanan
                        Message 11 of 28 , Mar 9, 2007
                          Hi,

                          Are u into any website developement using this swiss
                          or only for research purpose. I am here to develop a
                          free website with everything in vedic astrology.

                          Thank You
                          Venkat
                          --- Gour <list@...> wrote:

                          > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:29:32 -0800 (PST)
                          > venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > Hi Gour,
                          > > Can i buy any atlas, do you know any software
                          > which
                          > > i can buy and use in my site, all i need is the
                          > > database.
                          >
                          > I know only about ACS atlas, but, afaik, it does not
                          > work on Linux :-(
                          >
                          > Ask developers here - they use it, iirc, for their
                          > web site.
                          >
                          > Sincerely,
                          > Gour

                          > removed]

                          Thanks & Regards
                          Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                        • Gour
                          Message 12 of 28 , Mar 9, 2007
                            On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 01:06:22 -0800 (PST)
                            venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                            > Are u into any website developement using this swiss
                            > or only for research purpose. I am here to develop a
                            > free website with everything in vedic astrology.

                            I'm planning to write something - Linux desktop application using
                            Swiss Ephemeris.

                            Sincerely,
                            Gour

                          • venkat narayanan
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 9, 2007
                              Hi Gour,

                              Does ACS atlas works in vb6?? if it works you know how
                              we can use that in our application?

                              Thank You
                              Venkat
                              --- venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                              > Hi,
                              >
                              > Are u into any website developement using this
                              > swiss
                              > or only for research purpose. I am here to develop a
                              > free website with everything in vedic astrology.
                              >
                              > Thank You
                              > Venkat
                              > --- Gour <list@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 23:29:32 -0800 (PST)
                              > > venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Hi Gour,
                              > > > Can i buy any atlas, do you know any software
                              > > which
                              > > > i can buy and use in my site, all i need is the
                              > > > database.
                              > >
                              > > I know only about ACS atlas, but, afaik, it does
                              > not
                              > > work on Linux :-(
                              > >
                              > > Ask developers here - they use it, iirc, for their
                              > > web site.
                              > >
                              > > Sincerely,
                              > > Gour

                              > > removed]
                              > >

                              > Thanks & Regards
                              > Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                              > Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                              > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel
                              > sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

                              Thanks & Regards
                              Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                              8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
                            • Gour
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 9, 2007
                                On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 23:15:01 -0800 (PST)
                                venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                                > Does ACS atlas works in vb6?? if it works you know how
                                > we can use that in our application?

                                No idea. I'm using Linux and not Windows and never worked with VB,
                                neither I saw ACS atlas working.

                                However, considering that VB is popular programming environment for
                                Win32, it is probably suited for it.

                                Sincerely,
                                Gour

                              • Tim
                                Message 15 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                  I'm using SolarFire6 which has the ACS atlas embedded in it; there are a
                                  large number of .plc text files which I guess are the ACS atlas files. It
                                  shouldn't be hard to create a VB application that interprets this sort of
                                  file

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:07:43 -0000
                                    "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:

                                    > No idea. I'm using Linux and not Windows and never worked

                                    How is ACS atlas distributed and accessed on Windows?

                                    It looks stupid if they don't make it multi-platform available
                                    considering it is just a database data.

                                    Sincerely,
                                    Gour

                                  • Tim
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007

                                      > How is ACS atlas distributed and accessed on Windows?
                                      >
                                      > It looks stupid if they don't make it multi-platform
                                      > available considering it is just a database data.
                                      >
                                      > Sincerely,
                                      > Gour

                                      Try contacting them at
                                      http://www.astrocom.com/products/software.php?software_id=ibmwboth
                                    • Gour
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                        On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:43:27 -0000
                                        "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:

                                        > Try contacting them at
                                        > http://www.astrocom.com/products/software.php?software_id=ibmwboth

                                        Believe me, I did it several times asking about Linux support and never
                                        got the single reply :-(

                                        That's why I'd be interested in working on open-source database 'cause
                                        I'm not aware of some viable alternative to ACS.

                                        Sincerely,
                                        Gour

                                      • Tim
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007

                                          > > Try contacting them at
                                          > > http://www.astrocom.com/products/software.php?software_id=ibmwboth
                                          >
                                          > Believe me, I did it several times asking about Linux support
                                          > and never got the single reply :-(
                                          >
                                          > That's why I'd be interested in working on open-source
                                          > database 'cause I'm not aware of some viable alternative to ACS.
                                          >
                                          > Sincerely,
                                          > Gour

                                          That seems an odd way to run a business! There was someone on this list with
                                          a connection with SolarFire software, perhaps they can help out?
                                        • Gour
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                            On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:56:11 -0000
                                            "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:

                                            > That seems an odd way to run a business! There was someone on this
                                            > list with a connection with SolarFire software, perhaps they can help
                                            > out?

                                            Or they are bluntly ignoring Linux market as insignificant until they
                                            get some serious competition ;)

                                            Anyway, any info regards is welcome.

                                            What do you think about open-source database?

                                            Sincerely,
                                            Gour

                                          • venkat narayanan
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                              Hi guys,

                                              I can work on this if you give any printed copy of
                                              any atlas, I can outsource dataentry to some other
                                              company and get the atlas build and after all it is
                                              just the country ,city and lon and latitude tables.

                                              Thank You
                                              Venkat
                                              --- Gour <list@...> wrote:

                                              > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:56:11 -0000
                                              > "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > That seems an odd way to run a business! There was
                                              > someone on this
                                              > > list with a connection with SolarFire software,
                                              > perhaps they can help
                                              > > out?
                                              >
                                              > Or they are bluntly ignoring Linux market as
                                              > insignificant until they
                                              > get some serious competition ;)
                                              >
                                              > Anyway, any info regards is welcome.
                                              >
                                              > What do you think about open-source database?
                                              >
                                              > Sincerely,
                                              > Gour

                                              > removed]

                                              Thanks & Regards
                                              Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                                              http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                                            • Gour
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                                On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 01:34:04 -0800 (PST)
                                                venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                                                > I can work on this if you give any printed copy of
                                                > any atlas, I can outsource dataentry to some other
                                                > company and get the atlas build and after all it is
                                                > just the country ,city and lon and latitude tables.

                                                Well, ACS atlases (I have both - American & International in paper
                                                form) provide Time changes and Time zone data which is essential to know
                                                how the time in certain area.

                                                In other words it is not just geographic data, that's why SE developers
                                                suggested to start working with timezone data available on Linux OS.

                                                Sincerely
                                                Gour

                                              • venkat narayanan
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                                  Hi Gour,

                                                  To proceed further can you let me know how to make
                                                  this atlas from the information you have, if it is
                                                  going to be manual data entry , i can get this done
                                                  from a local data entry company in a table format with
                                                  foreign key relationship.

                                                  Thank You
                                                  Venkat

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Mar 10, 2007
                                                    On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 05:08:38 -0800 (PST)
                                                    venkat narayanan <kinvenkat_11@...> wrote:

                                                    > To proceed further can you let me know how to make
                                                    > this atlas from the information you have, if it is
                                                    > going to be manual data entry , i can get this done
                                                    > from a local data entry company in a table format with
                                                    > foreign key relationship.

                                                    If you think about ACS atlas information, the best would be to get a
                                                    hardcopy of one atlas in your hand and you'll quickly get it.

                                                    As far as timezone data, this file is available on overy Linux-powered
                                                    computer (see ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/), but I didn't start studying
                                                    it yet wanting to clear about ACS before.

                                                    Sincerely,
                                                    Gour

                                                  • Abhi
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 12, 2007
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 12, 2007
                                                        Hi Abhi,
                                                        Thanks for your reply can you tell me where i can
                                                        download that atlas.

                                                        Thank You
                                                        Venkat
                                                        > >Does ACS atlas works in vb6?? if it works you
                                                        > know how
                                                        > >we can use that in our application?
                                                        >

                                                        > Yes, it works. You have just to install it and
                                                        > then you can drag needed components into your VB
                                                        > project and start using it.
                                                        >
                                                        > Abhi
                                                        >

                                                        > .

                                                        > removed]

                                                        Thanks & Regards
                                                        Venkat Lakshmi Narayanan

                                                        TV dinner still cooling?
                                                        http://tv.yahoo.com/
                                                      • venkat narayanan
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 13, 2007
                                                          Hi,

                                                          I am stuck while calculating shad bala, for
                                                          calculating kala bala. I am not able to calculate
                                                          Nathona balam. I need to subract sunrise with sunset
                                                          time and then i need to subract that from the birth
                                                          naligai. Can anyone help me in this?
                                                          --- Gour <list@...> wrote:

                                                          > On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:43:27 -0000
                                                          > "Tim" <tim@...> wrote:
                                                          >

                                                          > > Try contacting them at

                                                          http://www.astrocom.com/products/software.php?software_id=ibmwboth

                                                          > Believe me, I did it several times asking about
                                                          > Linux support and never
                                                          > got the single reply :-(
                                                          >
                                                          > That's why I'd be interested in working on
                                                          > open-source database 'cause
                                                          > I'm not aware of some viable alternative to ACS.
                                                          >
                                                          > Sincerely,
                                                          > Gour

                                                          > removed]

                                                          Thanks & Regards