heliacal rise/set of stars

  • Victor Reijs
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
      Hello all of you,

      Did someone tried to determine the heliacal rise and set of stars using
      Swisseph? I was thinking about it, but I think I am missing the star's
      magnitude information in the star cat.

      Let me know your experience on this.

      All the best,

      Victor
    • Dieter Koch
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
        On Wed, 1 Nov 2006, Victor Reijs wrote:

        > Hello all of you,
        >
        > Did someone tried to determine the heliacal rise and set of stars using
        > Swisseph? I was thinking about it, but I think I am missing the star's
        > magnitude information in the star cat.

        Hello Victor,

        the magnitude is given in the file fixstars.cat. However, there is no
        Swiss Ephemeris function that uses or returns its value.

        There is no Swiss Ephemeris function for heliacal rises and sets.

        Regards
        Dieter

        > Let me know your experience on this.
        >
        > All the best,
        >

        > Victor
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Victor Reijs
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hello Dieter,

          Dieter Koch wrote:
          > the magnitude is given in the file fixstars.cat. However, there is no
          > Swiss Ephemeris function that uses or returns its value.

          Would it be easy to get it out of the stars.cat through a new function
          of Swisseph?

          > There is no Swiss Ephemeris function for heliacal rises and sets.

          I have been thinking already a long time to make it, I think I know the
          methodology to do it (including the theories of Schaefer). Perhaps I can
          start doing it in VB and then when it works, who knows. But it would be
          nice if I can use the basics of swisseph (like fixstars.cat).

          All the best,

          Victor
        • timholland@f2s.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 1, 2006
            Quoting Victor Reijs <geniet2003@...>:

            > Hello Dieter,
            >
            > Dieter Koch wrote:
            > > the magnitude is given in the file fixstars.cat. However, there is no
            > > Swiss Ephemeris function that uses or returns its value.

            I havnt looked at the fixstars.cat file, but i pressume theres ra/dec data in
            there? Isnt it a matter of coordinate transforms to see whats on the horizon at
            sunrise through SE calls? I've been doing the same sort of thing with comet swan
            to see where it get nears the ecliptic through transforms
            tim
          • Victor Reijs
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
              Hello all of you,

              I have been working at implementing the heliacal rise/set of stars in
              Visual Basic (VB). It is in VB and not C, but that is of course just a
              mater of translating;-)

              I am now looking into what at the end is wanted by people.

              At this moment the input to the program are astronomy related (the azi
              and app. altitude of sun, moon and star, earth-moon distance and star's
              magnitude), a few weather related parameters (date, temperature, visual
              range, relative humidity) and several other parameters (age, acuity,
              height and latitude of observer). This all is implemented according to
              the methodology of Schaefer (Archaeoastronomy, Vol XV, 2006).
              The output of the program can be Arcus Visionis (altitude difference
              between star and sun when star just visible) or the star's heliacal
              altitude (which is related to the lowest Arcus Visionis).

              I would like to know what application people have for the arcus visionis
              or the heliacal rise/set, so I can perhaps optimize my code for that?

              Let me know your feedback.

              All the best,

              Victor
            • Tim
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
                Earlier this month I was looking for helical risings for Sirius viewed from
                high latitudes, but I'm not sure how significant they would be with todays
                viewing conditions. Also be interested in Rigel and Betelgeuse. I found most
                of the approximate times and dates using Starry Night in the end.
                Tim

                > I would like to know what application people have for the
                > arcus visionis or the heliacal rise/set, so I can perhaps
                > optimize my code for that?
                >
                > Let me know your feedback.
                >

                > All the best,
                >

                > Victor
              • Victor Reijs
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 12, 2007
                  Hello Tim,

                  I have on this link some info (if you know the magnitude of the star):
                  The graphs are for a observer height of 60 m (and also the other
                  parameters are for Ireland):
                  http://www.iol.ie/~geniet/eng/extinction.htm#Arcus

                  I could make others for you, so perhaps you can check it with your own
                  or historic observations.

                  In some way the Schaefer model is working for any time. The night
                  brightness in former could be very different from nowadays, but the
                  closer to sunrise will not change that much.

                  All the best,

                  Victor