Play Day

  • art2purchase
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 20, 2006
      Thanks to everyone for making boats available, to Mike for teaching
      strokes to new paddlers, and to Pat for manning the grill! Don's new
      boat was a great hit. We all look to buy the end model! Thanks to all
      the folks who came to try out boats and become new paddlers. I've
      posted a few more photos on Carey's site.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 21, 2006
        Thanks, to Carey and Steve & Jeanette, for posting the pictures!
        I had planned on taking pictures, but I'm glad you "delegated
        yourselves" as photographers, because I didn't even get the camera out
        of the truck. It seems that there were so many people to talk to, and
        so much to do - I didn't get around to doing my camping demo as
        planned, but I was glad to see that Carey did get his camping hammock
        system set up for people to see. Mike D, - I'm sure that all of the
        people that you helped with your patient method of instructing, really
        appreciate what you did at the Play Day too. Thanks to Pat D., for
        providing the grill and grilling tools, Mike S., Win, and everyone
        else that brought extra boats... and for the person that led the group
        to Mound Key (I didn't hear who it was that led the group). All of
        these things came together to make the Play Day a success. There was
        a good amount of participation from 1st timers too - including Nancy,
        Scott, Mary, and I'm sure there are a number of others that I didn't
        get to talk to - welcome, everyone! You are the people that we wanted
        to have the Play Day for... thanks for coming!!! I look forward to
        seeing you all join us on some regular club outings too. We have
        another "Play Day" coming up in October - tell a friend - 'til then,
        let's see what we can do to help make PCPC Naples' "Kayak Splash Bash"
        (Sept. 10th at Sugden Park) a success too!
        Don
      • yakandsnorkel2
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 10, 2006
          Hi Everyone,

          Thanks to everyone who showed up to share gear and introduce interested
          newcomers to sport.

          Special thanks to Chris Boland (Saltwater Sports), Mike Shaw (SWFLPC-
          President & boat contributor), Don McCumber (Nominated best trip
          reporter & boat contributor), Mike Devlin (PCP President and outting
          organizer), and Regis Good (for his role in attracting females to the
          club with his sexy legs) OOPS!! thats me!

          Sometimes it pays to be last to leave. I've acquired a cooler & hat
          that was left behind. Please call to claim!! (Sorry we drank some of
          the water!)

          Paddle On!

          Rege 239-443-8136
        • Don
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2007
            I have a lot of people to thank for a very successful Play Day - our
            biggest yet. I would estimate, conservatively, that we had at least 60
            people at Lover's Key for this event.

            First & foremost... thank you to Mike Devlin, for getting a lot of
            publicity out for the event, and also, for giving some excellent
            instruction to the many "newbies" that came to the event.

            Another big thank you goes to Chris Boland and Saltwater Sports,
            Naples, for bringing a trailer load of boats. Even though a number of
            our members brought boats, and offered them up for people to try out,
            we needed more... especially sit-on-tops... and Chris really came
            through, just when they were needed the most!

            Thank you to all members that brought their boats, and let so many
            people that are brand new to our sport give them a try. It can be a
            bit difficult, when you see your "baby" in someone else's hands... but
            in case you didn't hear this personally... let me tell you myself. I
            had SO MANY people approach me throughout the course of this day, that
            told me what a wonderful thing it was that SWFLPC and PCPC Naples was
            doing, in letting people come and just try out our own personal kayaks.

            At one point, the beach was a rainbow of colors, with all of the
            different kayaks that were lined up. If there were any more, we would
            have had to start a second row. People were lined up 3 deep on the
            beach, watching others paddling, and patiently waiting to have their
            own turn.

            It was an opportunity for people to see what sort of boat suited them
            the best. They had a real chance to see what it was like to try a
            kayak that challenged their abilities... sometimes beyond their
            abilities, but that's OK too. How will you know until you try? They
            were able to get impartial advice from experienced kayakers as to what
            sort of boat might fit the type of paddling that they really want to
            do, and then try out a boat based on that advice.

            I saw that Mike "Gator Bait" Standerfer was taking pictures - if Mike,
            or anyone else has any pictures of the event that you can share with
            everyone else here, I know that I, for one, would love to see them!

            It was a good day. Now, the next big event that we can all look
            forward to, is the big Isle of Capri Pig Roast, on April 1st (no
            fooling!!!). I'm sure we'll have lots of other good things happening
            between now and then, but that's one that we can all look forward to.
            Let's make it another big event!

            Don
          • Dixie Dixon
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
              Thank you for spending time with with me and Bob. We enjoyed it.  I'm hoping he buys a kayak soon! Dixie

              Don <Multiplants@...> wrote:
[...]

              Bored stiff? Loosen up...

            • Don
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 26, 2007
                Dixie -

                I'm really glad that you and Bob came to the Play Day, and that you
                were able to try out a few different boats. It was really nice
                meeting you! I posted a new message on the "Ft. Myers Kayak Meetup
                Group", and mentioned the upcoming Kayaking Pig Roast at the Isle of
                Capri - I hope you can make it for that event too.

                Josh and Maggie -

                There was a light blue denim top perched on the mangroves, near where
                Maggie was soaking up the sun... is it yours? I'm in Lehigh Acres
                too - give me a call if it's yours, and I'll bring it to you. 369-
                6380. Thanks, Josh, for letting me try out your Tri-Yak... what a
                cool boat! I understand that you are selling it. I think that
                anyone that is interested in both paddling and sailing would get the
                best of both worlds with that boat. You might want to try posting
                some detailed info, and maybe even put some pics here, or a link to
                some pics?

                Don
              • Don
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 8, 2008
                  Regarding the Play Day - I have to hand out a big "Thank You!" to a lot
                  of people. Win brought a TON of boats, Mike Devlin provided paddling
                  instruction, Mike Shaw provided marker buoys, to keep things organized,
                  Terri Krass stayed with the membership table, and made sure that info
                  on the Yahoo groups was available to anyone that was interested, Kerri
                  brought donut holes for everyone, Rob Phelan showed off his new fishing
                  kayak, fully rigged, Rege, Darby, Jesse, Patrick, and lots of others
                  brought boats, and were available to help out where needed. We had a
                  good turnout - I'd call it a success!

                  Don