Want a free kayaking weekend in Key West???

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 7:16 AM
      I'm forwarding this message from pcpcnaples.  I have also paddled this event twice before.  All swimmers in this race must have a kayak or boater accompany them around the island.  They guide them, make sure they're safe and carry their water/sports drinks they need to renourish their bodies during the swim.  The swimmers will take the drinks from you, they cannot touch the boat or touch bottom.  June is usually hot, you will be traveling about 2 miles per hour.  One part of the course has shallow water, you want to steer them clear of shallow water because it's hard to swim in shallow water (try it yourself and you'll understand).  Read below.

      PatO

      I'm serious. Here is what you do, if you want a free weekend in Key West, the weekend of June 8, 2013:

      Go to the website for the 37th Annual Swim Around Key West, and volunteer to do kayak support for a swimmer! I did this last year with a friend, and we were each paid $100, plus $40 for providing our own kayak. Get a few friends together and share a room... FREE WEEKEND!!!

      The swimmers also have a banquet, and their kayakers are invited to attend (also for free).

      What do you have to do?
      FIRST - follow this link, to see what is involved:
      http://www.southernmostrunners.com/KW-Swim/2012_Kayaker%20Information_website.pdf
      THEN - Call Katie Leigh at 773-502-5087 (and tell her that Don McCumber sent you)

      For further information about the 37th Annual Swim Around Key West, go to:
      http://www.swimaroundkeywest.com/

      Here are some pictures and video clips that I took during last year's event... and yes, I DID paddle a plastic sit-on-top!!!
      https://plus.google.com/photos/111179403099130035777/albums/5758035014866353809

      Don "Woodkayaker" McCumber