[pcpcnaples] Sat. April 6th, Goodland Boat Ramp to Dismal Key

  • Phares Heindl
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013

      Update –

         I paddled the posted trip Sunday in order to be able to be a more effective organizer and navigator.     I launched at the new Margate Park in Goodland ( more about that later) and paddled to the Gulf and cut into the bays at “Turttlette”  and passed the opening of Fish Hawk Creek to Foster Key and on to Dismal Key.  Then, I paddled to the rim of Pumpkin Bay and returned to Dismal Key for a brief look around.    I returned by paddling from Dismal to the south east tip of Turttle via the Gulf and Coon key pass.   The distance was 20.7 miles.   However, my course was not exactly straight and a mile or so should be cut from the total for the proposed trip.   The distance just to paddle to Dismal and back should be 16-17 miles.

        I am modifying the paddle to eliminate the Pumpkin Bay leg to cut some distance and possible make it attractive to more paddlers.  We can, of course, add it back on should the group want to do the additional distance.

        It appears that some of the paddlers are headed back north and some may be out of town so I am not sure if there is any interest in this paddle.   Dismal Key is quite interesting and a destination that area paddlers probably want to be familiar with.   I only took a few steps up the path but could see the remnants of the old cabin apparently used by Foster and Seeley.

      I will repost this later in the week and review it in conjunction with the weather forecasts.

      Please email or call, pmheindl@...

                              239-285-5048