Re: [swflpc] last night's paddle

  • Veronica
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 14 6:40 PM
      Hi. Just new to the list. That sounds really lovely. Are there maps of those areas available somewhere?

      I'm looking for the right kayak now. I want to take the canal from behind my house to the River, and also do a little paddling on the bay, just exploring, exercising. There's just too many kayaks out there to figure out exactly what I need. Does anyone know of a good all around day sort of touring kayak for a heavier person? I've done some kayaking on big lakes, haven't done surf or moving water, other than a few sloughs. That was easy and fun. I got too heavy for my OLD sit on top sea kayak. I need something a bit wider than the 16" seating area. Any suggestions from knowledgeable people on this list?
      Thanks in advance for your advice,
      Vee

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 15 3:13 AM
        Vee, I suggest you rent kayaks, try them out on the water before you buy anything, pick out the one that's comfortable for you.  There are plenty of fishing kayaks around, built to hold big men and all their fishing gear.  Kayak 14 foot or longer will track straighter than the shorter kayaks.  These shops are probably close to you, they rent and sell different kayak brands.

        Estero River Outfitters also has plenty of kayaks

        esteroriveroutfitters.com

        Also try Florida Paddlesports

        http://shop.floridapaddlesports.com/

        Hope this helps.  Anymore questions just ask.  PatO

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 15 7:23 AM

          I also believe you should try smaller lighter kayaks.  Rent some then try going kayaking with others.  See what they are using for kayaks.  Go to Naples outfitters take one lesson or two.  Then buy.  I would advise for 1st kayak the Current Design Vision.  It has every thing at once.  A rudder, kevlar, fiberglass.  Smooth in the water as you paddle.  Easy to learn in.  It is a good all around kayak.

          You will say I'm only going in flat water, but as you get more experienced you keep going farther out of you element. This will be the only kayak you will need till you get up to the big boys and get a ceytus lv.  Thin boats.  My friend looked into the consumer report, this was about 3 years ago, and The current design vision was said to be the best all around for beginners.  This is just my advice.  I don't sell kayaks.  But this was my 1st boat.  Also buy a real good light paddle.  A good paddle means everything when you are starting.  A heavy paddle will wear you out faster than anything.  I forget how many strokes you do a minute but it is a lot.

          I love to give advice, If you want anymore help either come down here to naples, or I'll come paddle with you.

          I'm not as qualified as Pat Owen, but I'm a Aca level 1 instructor.  When I started 4 years ago I never dreamed I'd like it like I do.  But picking the right kayak makes all the difference. My number is below.  Call me.

          Deborah Rowland
          239-732-1344

[...]

          PatO

        • drowland2006

            Oscar and Sharmon joined me last night near Bonita Bills. More paddlers should have come, It was warmer last night than it is tonight. Now that it's light until at least 7:30pm we see a couple more derelict boats and we can see the sandbars enough to kayak around them. Next time Darby comes we'll try going through the mangrove tunnels.

            I can't paddle next Wednesday. If anyone wants to paddle after work next Wednesday just post a location.

            PatO

          • Jory Pearson

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 17 8:26 AM
                Thanks for the advice on kayak buying, everyone! "Nope" on the flat water, I'm planning to hit the canal out back to paddle to the River, and also try out the bay side, so not just hitting the flat water. I'm also heavy and 5'9" tall. I have kayaked out on flat water in the past, wave action and serious currents will be new to me. :-)

                I currently have a 12' Ocean Kayak, but the seating is only 16" wide, and my butt is wider than that. I used it on the lakes and sloughs in Alaska.

                I hope to join people paddling someday, once I get my strength back up. My hubby had a little fender bender Friday, however, so my kayak plans may have to be scooted back a couple of months.

                Vee

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 18 2:23 AM
                  Vee, then hope to see you on the water this water.  Best to you and your husband.  PatO