Wanna help host the Canada to Key West paddler passing through SW FL this week

  • Carey Parks
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Hi Gang,

      Remember Daniel Alvarez? No? It would be surprising if you did. None
      of us have met him before. Last May, or it could have been April, he
      sent an email to me because my name was attached to the SWFLPC Yahoo
      group or something. Anyway, he asked club members to vote for him in
      the Outside Magazine $10,000 adventure grant contest.

      Well, he won, and set off paddling from the Canadian border down the
      Mississippi to Key West.

      He didn't have much paddling experience when he set out, and it's
      kinda fun to read his reaction to open water etc. But he's figured it
      out and he'll be passing through here sometime this week, after
      setting out on June 2012 and slipping southward for almost a year. He
      sent me an e-mail from Sarasota on Sunday. At 20 mi/day that puts him
      around Ft Myers on Wednesday. Maybe later if weather slows him down.

      I'm hopeful I can pick him up wherever he lands and take him to Love
      Boat for some ice cream. He's a ice cream freak. I wish I could give
      him a bed and a hot shower too, I know it would be fun. If he arrived
      some other time I would, but it turns I'm not able to host him this
      week. He's looking for a hot shower and and WiFi so he can update his
      blog etc. Anyone want to host Daniel for an evening?

      I'm sure there are more details to be worked out, but that's all I
      know at the moment. I'm going to let the media know he's passing
      through. He's got good press at most other towns where he stops in.
      He's given some talks to appropriate groups.

      You can read his blog at:

      http://tinyurl.com/bko6ba9

      Here's the first post about his paddle:

      http://predictablylost.com/2012/06/22/angle-to-key-west-prelude/

      If you'd like to help me out with Daniel in any way, let me know. If
      you have some purpose that Daniel could help you with while he's here,
      speak up. If you have some ideas how we could welcome him, let's hear
      that too. No obligations, and no promises. I don't even know his phone
      number or if it is working. He sent it off for repair some weeks ago.
      He did have a VHF at one point. I don't know when I'll hear from him
      next. So far it's been via e-mail, and reading his blogs.

      Betsy Clayton and I have talked about his arrival this afternoon and
      she's going to put some mentions of it on her Facebook page.

      That's all I have for now. Hope to hear from you.

      Cheers,

      Carey
    • Carey Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013

        Update: Daniel called today, from Cayo Costa. He plans to land on one of the Sanibel causeway islands tomorrow afternoon. I plan to be on island B around 2, to watch for him. Anyone is welcome to join me. Bring a chair, I have no idea how long the wait will be. Grey Saab wagon with J-racks.

        Carey Parks

        --
        http://parkswhistles.com/
        http://www.facebook.com/carey.parks