Fossil hunting on the Peace River - Monday, Feb. 18th - Presidents' Day

  • sgandmill
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 11, 2013
      Jim Niehaus is organizing a fossil hunting trip for next Monday. Meet at Brownville Park in Arcadia at 9:00 AM. This is the walk-in site he went to last May with Mark Renz - Megalodon Expeditions. At the time, the river level was too low to allow for a kayak-in trip. Jim will bring his finds from this past year along with one of Mark's books and we can take some time to review before heading into the river. The area up from the boat ramp is shallow 1-2 feet this time of year and is where most people hunt because it is easy access and safe. Hunting is generally accomplished by the use of a shovel and a screen box. It is a good idea to pair up with someone and take turns digging and shifting. The attached documents will help you prepare. I have the materials to build 4 screen boxes, which I will do this week. To collect fossils other than shark teeth, a permit is required. The permit requirement and holder obligations help to ensure that fossil hunting is done in a responsible manner and rare or unusual finds are reported to the proper authorities as it could lead to the discovery of a new species, even though it would be extinct.

      Here's a good site for monitoring the Peace River level. http://nwis.waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=&begin_date=2012-02-11&end_date=2013-02-11&site_no=02295637 Jim included the past year so you can see why we would not go from June through November. Rain is in the forecast north of Arcadia for Thursday and Friday. Even with some rain this time of year, we should be fine and it will help to get the river flowing and hopefully churn up some good fossils for us to find. We can confirm the river level over the weekend.

      The thought at the moment is to do review and walk-in hunting in the morning and paddle up river for more hunting in the afternoon. As always, open to suggestions.

      Jim Niehaus, our leader

      Posted by Sue and Dave Miller for Jim
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 12, 2013
        Thanks Sue & Dave!

        Here's a link to the unattachable documents:

        http://www.canoeoutpost.com/peace/showpage.asp?page=fossil

        You can also bring a mask and snorkel.

        Jim