10 miler - Pine Island Sound 2/10/13 8:00 AM

  • sgandmill
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
      A change in plans for the 10 mile group (short trip). We'll be launching at 8:00 AM from the Marker (before Randall Research Center). There are only 5 parking spots. It's on the left-hand side before Randall Research Center (a nearby address is 7450 Pineland Road Pineland, Florida 33945).

      Let us know if you plan to be there.

      We plan to bring snacks and then go out after the paddle for some food and beverages.
      Sue and Dave
    • Kayne Torman

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013

          Pat, Sue and Dave.  I had said I would come up, but Richard and I rode up there yesterday and It took us 2 hours.  Now I know with it being on Sunday that it wouldn't take that long.  But I don't go to sleep very well, so can't get up early.  What I'm saying is I won't be coming.  Liz Hawke was coming up with me and she won't be there either.  I feel bad because Pat Owen comes down and kayaks with us and makes that long trip and I love to kayak with Pat, but It is just to far for me.  Sorry, Sorry.  Have fun.

          Today we had a 15 mile paddle with Bob Farley leading.  We went to From Goodland out to Gullivan then back through some of those back bays.  We had following seas to Gullivan, which made some trying paddling for the people without rudders.  But the day cleared up and we had a nice paddle. This one young guy Josh Morgan had a sail on his surf ski kayak.  Some times he was having a time keeping that from over powering.  He is going to run that race with the watertribe in March.  Hope he makes it good.  I'm really sure he will.  He raced last year, he made it all the way, but this year he is going to be even more prepared for the race.  Hopes to do better.  It was nice to have a young person kayak with us old guys.  Oh yes and David Whitford took out this hobbie sail boat and kind of Sailed along with us.  He did great going with the wind but it took him awhile to get back.  Really had some extreme tacking.

          Hope to kayak with you guys again soon.  Hopefully not so early.

          Deborah Rowland
          239-732-1344

          Well, I guess I just changed my mind since its an hour 45 from my house. LOL!  Have fun!

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Feb 8, 2013, at 8:08 PM, "sgandmill" <masmad@...> wrote:

          A change in plans for the 10 mile group (short trip). We'll be launching at 8:00 AM from the Marker (before Randall Research Center). There are only 5 parking spots. It's on the left-hand side before Randall Research Center (a nearby address is 7450 Pineland Road Pineland, Florida 33945).

          Let us know if you plan to be there.

          We plan to bring snacks and then go out after the paddle for some food and beverages.
          Sue and Dave

        • Atmo Ram
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 8, 2013
            Deborah, just saying I make the trip from North Fort Myers to Naples or further south almost every time I paddle.  It's really not that bad.

            Scott B. Leland

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
              Two things: 1) the 15 mile plus group is leaving from marina at Marina Drive, launching 8:30am; 2) remember the tide is -.04 at 8:39am, those launching with Sue and Dave at Pineland Marker will probably have to walk their kayaks out a bit, we won't have that problem at Maria drive.  PatO

              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
                Hi Pat,

                Naples beaches had red tide yesterday  I hope that won't be a problem ??

                Ali
                Sent from my iPhone

                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
                    It could be a problem for some people.  I was paddling Sat AM inside North Captiva/Buck Key, saw some dead fish floating about, I don't seem to be physically affected by effects of red tide.

                    Here's FWC red tide map link (below), there's low to medium red tide inside the sound, high red tide in Gulf west of islands.  According to NOAA weather winds 8-15mph are coming from east and south east which could hold red tide out in Gulf.  If winds change to west everyone should stay indoors

                    http://myfwc.com/media/2487520/satelitteoverlay.pdf

                    I never counted on red tide upsetting my paddling plans, I'll be at launch Sun AM.  I'll understand if I'm the only one there.

                    PatO
                    cell 239-410-0167

                    Naples beaches had red tide yesterday  I hope that won't be a problem ??

                    Ali
                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Recent Activity:
                      .

                    • Robert Langbauer

                          Message 10 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
                            I'll be there.

                            Scott B. Leland

                            Message 11 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
                              That's right.

                              Scott B. Leland

                              Message 12 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013

                                Jim Palermo and I plan to be there for the 15.

                                Phares Heindl

                                Message 13 of 13 , Feb 9, 2013
                                  Phares you better start early, because Richard and I drove up there and it took us 2 hours.

                                  Deborah Rowland
                                  239-732-1344