Pine Island Sound, 2/10/2013, 8:30 am

  • swflpc@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2013
      Reminder from: swflpc Yahoo! Group

      Title: Pine Island Sound

      Date: Sunday February 10, 2013
      Time: 8:30 am - 2:30 pm (GMT-05.00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
      Notes: Sunday, February 10, 2013 - launch 8:30am
      Pine Island Commercial Boat Ramp, end of Maria Drive
      Plenty of parking, no muck
      Parking Fee $10 (cars and cars w/trailer)
      Facility has toilet and small staging area

      Two trips a 10 mile and 15 mile plus trip:
      Everyone starts out looking at coral house end of Demere Key

      15 miles plus trip: Paddle across to North Captiva, paddle out the south pass, paddle in the gulf, stop on beach, paddle back through north pass, paddle to fishing shacks, paddle to Barnacle Phils for lunch (Safety Harbor, north side of North Captiva), paddle back to launch.

      10 mile trip: paddle across to North Captiva beach join us for lunch paddle back, OR paddle to fishing shacks.

      Someone will notice we will launch at -0.5, it's the best time to see groups of birds on sandbars, in this part of Pine Island Sound we still have enough deep water around for paddling. Trip plans are flexible, if people want to stop and take pictures of birds we'll stop and take pictures. Trip plans could change if there are high wind or rough waters in the Gulf.

      Here's the website for Barnacle Phil's, they have a good selection of food, colorful picnic tables under a big chickee, Judy and I ate there last year. Bring money if you want to eat here.

      http://barnaclephilsrestaurant.wordpress.com/

      Here's where the launch is:

      http://binged.it/WqhjVh

      Faster way to Pine Island from Naples (google shows slow way, BING shows faster way)
      take I75 north, exit at Colonial #136 turn left.
      Travel west on Colonial towards Cape Coral, take Midpoint Bridge to Cape Coral
      Pay $2.00 toll for Cape Coral (there is no toll to leave Cape Coral)
      travel west on Veteran's Parkway, past Surfside this road curves north
      (Starbuck's nearby, turn right at Surfside, left into shopping area)
      travel north on Veteran's Parkway till you come to Traffic Light (Pine Island Rd)
      turn left on Pine Island Road, travel through Matlacha (watch speed signs)
      keep going, when you come to 4-way Stop sign you've reached Pine Island
      (there's a Circle K on this corner)
      Turn left at Stringfellow, about 1-1.5 mile down turn right onto Maria Drive
      Have ten dollars to put in envelope.

      PatO 239-410-0167